Top speed and revs?

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Top speed and revs?

Post by barryG »

Now my 400s all loosened up, Ive been giving it the beans and noticed something weird. On my old Xevo 400 it would never rev much above 7500rpm and would cruise at 70mph at around 6000rpm. I noticed the Burgman 400 is revving at around 7000rpm at 70mph and today I hit the redline of 9000rpm on the motorway whilst passing a load of traffic... which was an indicated 95mph. Now that seems odd that to get max. speed it uses max. rpm unlike the Xevo?

Are they supposed to rev like that, the Xevo used to settle down to a constant rpm give or take a few hundred but the Burger seems to want more revs for more speed, a lot more. It explains the fact its a bit livelier but also puts a question mark on engine longevity?

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Re: Top speed and revs?

Post by Bluebottle »

That sounds similar to my 400
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

barryG
Benefactor

Post by barryG »

Cheers bluebottle, its an odd way for a CVT to work :lol:

Bluebottle
Benefactor

Post by Bluebottle »

I think the B 400 has always been considered a high revving engine, it was mentioned quite a lot in early reviews. I don't think there have ever been any longevity issues with it (some high mileages reported on BurgmanUSA.

Different manufacturers allow different safety margins on where they place the red line and there are different power bands for each engine and different gearing.
I think it is just that the burger has power/weight/drag to reach a speed where it red lines and the Xevo doesn't.

It always puzzles me when people say a rev counter is useless on an automatic, I find it handy for diagnosing problems and keeping not getting carried away on the throttle.
The Ugly Bunch-1

barryG
Benefactor

Post by barryG »

Yes, I found the rev counter very useful in that instance. The scooter had more to give but would have gone into the red zone so yep, its needs that rev counter ;)
It was very stable too at that speed, worrying as I use autobahns :lol:

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

Yes the Burgman does rev more at higher speeds. It also uses a bit more fuel so i believe.

barryG
Benefactor

Post by barryG »

Sure does, down about 5mpg overall on the Xevo so far.

jbond

Post by jbond »

In my experience everything up to the K7-L1 can be just made to max out and hit the rev limiter. This occurs at about 9300rpm. With a fresh belt this corresponds with an indicated 96mph and a GPS actual 92mph. When you hit the rev limiter at 90mph indicated it''s time for a new belt.

I'd be interested to know if the K7-L1 is any faster.

Bluebottle
Benefactor

Post by Bluebottle »

You can get an indicated 108 mph out of a K9 if you are prepared to take it into the red (maybe more but it is the most I have seen).

I don't treat my L0 like that though.
The Ugly Bunch-1

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Yes that's weird that. I don't know if the latest one does it as I don't get it till March LOL but my last one (a 2006 model) did.