Bang for Yer Buck...

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Re: Bang for Yer Buck...

Post by Funkycowie »

I bought my B125 brand new 8 years ago for £2500 and could have sold it for £650 like phil did when I sold it to him for £250 because I just wanted rid of the pile of shit, then I bought a second hand Nexus 500 for £2500 which can be had for £2100 now with similar mileage and being 2 years older... sure I spent about £400 fixing issues in those 4 years but it just does not add up to me any more to buy new.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

gn2 wrote:
Mr Angry wrote: CBX 750F
Mmmm... hydraulic valve adjusters... very sexy :kiss:
The rather pretty CB750F2N also had that feature.
Why can't Hondas have that now...?

I had one of those, :)

it was exactly the same as that one................................wish i had not sold it! :(

Ginger Phil
Benefactor

Post by Ginger Phil »

Funkycowie wrote: could have sold it for £650 like phil did
I sold it for £450.

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

Ive never understood why people worry about depreciation or fail to understand why it happens. Say you bought a washing machine for £400 and three years later you wanted to sell, youd be lucky to get £100.

So, you buy a bike and it loses money, but youve ridden it for miles, it has rust, worn out components and stonechips etc. It should devalue and it does... never ever has bothered me. Ive lost a small fortune over the years on bikes and cars but so what, Ive enjoyed it :D

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Ginger Phil wrote:
Funkycowie wrote: could have sold it for £650 like phil did
I sold it for £450.
thats even worse depreciation then :D
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

barryG wrote:Ive never understood why people worry about depreciation or fail to understand why it happens. Say you bought a washing machine for £400 and three years later you wanted to sell, youd be lucky to get £100.

So, you buy a bike and it loses money, but youve ridden it for miles, it has rust, worn out components and stonechips etc. It should devalue and it does... never ever has bothered me. Ive lost a small fortune over the years on bikes and cars but so what, Ive enjoyed it :D
Me neither, although through 13 years riding Harleys I hardly saw any! :lol:

I'm of the school of thought that if a bike has to go, it goes for whatever anyone will pay for it, whether that represents my, or anyone else's estimate of "market value" or not.

scorpakid
Current Ride: x8 400i.scorpa125

Post by scorpakid »

i used to go out every satday night with pals an spend £60+ on beer kebabs and taxi home..... at least with bikes you have something to show for it..!

i just sold my trailbike.... i got it for £1850 2 years ago...and just sold for £1500.... so what it depreciated a bit ...but it was a handy machine to own and enjoy for that time....

halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Post by halfabusa »

I think there's also a balance on the market between the brand new vehicle buyers and second hand buyers. If more people believe in buying brand new, 2nd hand market will have more saturation, therefore cheaper cars/bikes, and more depreciation for the 1st buyers. If more people want 2nd hand, then the 2nd hand prices will go up, less depreciation on 1st buyers but less choice for 2nd handers.

I prefer the first option so that there are more vehicles on the 2nd hand market ;-)
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

halfabusa wrote:.... 2nd hand market will have more saturation, therefore cheaper cars/bikes
Around here the 2nd hand market is called "Horobags", I've never seen him completely saturated, just a bit giddy :D
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

scorpakid
Current Ride: x8 400i.scorpa125

Post by scorpakid »

the 2nd hand market seems expensive at the moment...... i also sold my beta trials bike 2 years ago for £900.... absolutely mint cond..... the same model now i will be lucky to get for £1200.... ?