Givi Airflow AF266

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
road runner
Benefactor
Current Ride: MaxSYM 600i + Vespa GTS

Givi Airflow AF266

Post by road runner »

Has anyone fitted one of these to their Burgman 400?
I recently picked up a 'minter' L0 model and was aware, from the test ride, that the standard screen was not going to suit me at 6' 1", due to the buffeting!

I had the equivalent airflow screen fitted to my SH300, which worked brilliantly. Therefore, before parting with my cash (unfortunately I can't buy it on a sale or return basis), I was wondering if any other Burgman riders have fitted the airflow screen or even other makes that reduced the buffeting?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
road runner
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery but today is a gift!

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Re: Givi Airflow AF266

Post by Bluebottle »

I have one on my 400 and I am really pleased with it.
The main thing I found was that the original screen flutters from side to side and spills air one way and then the other so I was getting buffeted from that. The AF is more rigid and wider so it stops that happening.

The AF is higher than the original. The adjustable section allows you to select where the airflow over the top strikes you, if you can't get it completely over your head you can at least take it in the chest where it is less troublesome. I am 5'10 and find buffeting is minimal with the top section 2 inches below maximum.

One word of warning, make sure the clamps for the top section are adjusted correctly and grip well and never get mr shean or silicone spray etc on the rails. Meldrew had hit top section fly off at speed. Mine has never budged even slightly and I can't move it by hand when the clamps are secured but it is something to bare in mind.

An extra benefit is that in hot weather you can drop the top section right down or even take it off completely and get cooling airflow. Obviously that is going to be more comfortable around town than on the motorway but I have done both. The extra width also means less weather on your hands.

There might have been a marginal improvement in mpg, it seems slightly better, not dramatic and might be coincidental, I'm not sure.

I haven't found any downside at all
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

road runner
Benefactor

Post by road runner »

Thanks for the feedback bluebottle.
I was aware about the possibility of the top part of the screen flying off so that would have been born in mind!
It looks like I will just bite the bullet and buy the screen.

Bluebottle
Benefactor

Post by Bluebottle »

Maybe the burger and Silverwing aren't the same?

I agree it would be pointless and a pain for all day on the autobahn

I look at the conditions I'm likely to be riding in and adjust/remove as required.
For a long motorway journey I would leave it on, it will be plenty breazy enough. For 10 miles of motorway followed by stop-start I take it off (only if it is extremely hot obviously)

As always, only the guy in the saddle at the time Is going to know what works for him.
The Ugly Bunch-1

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

I'm thinking of getting one of these myself as I am not happy with the standard screen. Very much 'sometime' though, as they aren't cheap are they?

Bluebottle
Benefactor

Post by Bluebottle »

I got my original one from a maxi-muppet so keep your eyes peeled.
It got damaged in bump and the insurance put a new one on
The Ugly Bunch-1

road runner
Benefactor

Post by road runner »

Hi Bluebottle,
When you replaced the screen on your ZA L0 model, did you have problems in removing the top inner trim with the 'Suzuki' logo on it, to give access to the screws that retain the front fairing nose section?
Mine does not want to budge for some reason and I do not want to exert too much force, for fear of breaking the trim.

Cheers

Bluebottle
Benefactor

Post by Bluebottle »

The "walnut" bit?
It pops out at a slightly unexpected angle, I think it goes backward rather than up or vice versa. it is pretty robust so you are OK putting your fingers under the centre bit and popping it from there.

Have a look on the burgmanusa.com site, probably in the "knowledge base. There is a link to a video of somebody doing it that shows the position of clips and screws - it really speeded things up for me as some of the fastenings are quite cunning designed.
EDIT: I think this is it http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=295678#p295678
The Ugly Bunch-1

road runner
Benefactor

Post by road runner »

Yes it would be the walnut piece on yours, being a limeted edition model.
I had already seen the video which you kindly sent a link for and that was the procedure I was following.
Maybe I should just give it a bit more force and see what happens.

road runner
Benefactor

Post by road runner »

Sorted. With a bit more pressure and pulling it backwards at a slight angle it came off! Gives access to the two front nose cone screws just like in the video.
Now that I know it comes apart easily, it should take long to fit the AF266 screen when it arrives next week. Hopefully, the buffeting will be greatly reduced, well thats what I am hoping, or the screen will be up for sale, as I cannot return it!