Tyre sizes

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
macp
Current Ride: Gilera ST200

Tyre sizes

Post by macp »

Has anyone considered changing the standard tyre size for instance the front on mine is 120/70-14 but I was reading of people going over to a 130/70-14 which apparently improves stability ?

Thoughts, experiences please :)

Dexter
Current Ride: Push bike

Re: Tyre sizes

Post by Dexter »

Whoever designed your bike probably knew what they were doing and chose appropriately sized tyres.
:)

irev
Current Ride: AN400

Post by irev »

Moreover, whoever gave you that advice should show you their research and development credentials.

It's the kind of pathetic back-of-cornflakes-packet guidance from somebody who should be eating Farleys Rusks... take it, and die.

Clear?
No door is closed to an open mind.
Except a closed door, which a mind can't open, but even a stupid hand can.

Deeping
Benefactor
Current Ride: t-max + xv1100

Post by Deeping »

If you put a wider tyre on to a rim it was not designed for you get less rubber on the road due to the centre of the tyre tread being pushed out to accommodate the extra width of the tyre.
Never instal version 1.0

macp

Post by macp »

Dexter wrote:Whoever designed your bike probably knew what they were doing and chose appropriately sized tyres.
:)
Agreed and im not suggesting I know any better.

macp

Post by macp »

irev wrote:Moreover, whoever gave you that advice should show you their research and development credentials.

It's the kind of pathetic back-of-cornflakes-packet guidance from somebody who should be eating Farleys Rusks... take it, and die.

Clear?
First off take it easy buddy :D it was only a question following a thread I was reading where an owner fitted a pair off michelin pilot sports to his aprilia scoot with a different profile and in his opinion it improved the ride. I was curious to read if anyone else had tried it and what they thought. At no time did I say anywhere in my post that I was going to do this although re reading my post I guess it came across that way.It certainly wasnt my intention to pee people off.

anonstarter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Pending

Post by anonstarter »

The Sym Citycom 300i front tyre is 110/70-16 whereas the 125cc version has 120/70-15. http://www.bennettsmotorcycles.co.uk/sym_citycom.asp

There have been discussions on Citycom forums which touch on considering the 'benefits' of a wider tyre:
A 120/70 - 16 front tire instead of the standard 110/70 - 16 would "fix" the optimistic speedo as it's circumference if 7% bigger. I just wonder how a wider tire would affect it's handling. I have heard that car/motorcycle manufacturers don't always put the best handling tire size/quality on their vehicles as they have to compete price-wise with their competitors. They go for the best compromise leaning more towards the cheaper side.
However the general consensus seemed to be that it is not a good idea!

The best route would be to buy good quality tyres and keep them at the right pressure!
If you want to be incrementally better: Be competitive. If you want to be exponentially better: Be cooperative.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

It can be done...though I never have. In theory a wider tyre might give more grip, though it will make its handling less agile. Ought to be aware that it might change the speedo reading as well, though with the dodgy speedos that seem to be around, they might make it more accurate!

I did put slightly wider tyres on an ancient Fiat Panda I had once, and it definitely improved things. If I could have found a suitable wider tyre for my old Aprilia Atlantic I would have definitely tried it!!!!

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Hello Mac, yep...it can be done but may upset things a bit in the handling department. I once fitted a larger section rear tyre to my GSX1400 as a temporary stop gap. I know that's maybe a bit different in the size stakes. But considering it was just a very small increase from 195 to 200 section I didn't think it would matter much. The change in handling was lethal! I kid you not. I heard of others doing a similar thing with the front tyre also with similar effects. There is one other thing to think about, you prolly won't get insurance for it if you declare you have a modified tyre size on the bike as of course you must do. It's instant refusal from most insurers now for any non standard tyres on standard bikes as it is an untested modification in their eyes and has the potential to be dangerous.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Deeping
Benefactor
Current Ride: t-max + xv1100

Post by Deeping »

Data wrote:.There is one other thing to think about, you prolly won't get insurance for it if you declare you have a modified tyre size on the bike as of course you must do. It's instant refusal from most insurers now for any non standard tyres on standard bikes as it is an untested modification in their eyes and has the potential to be dangerous.

good one - I never thought of that
Never instal version 1.0