Majesty or restricted T-Max?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
BiB
Current Ride: Honda Integra 750

Majesty or restricted T-Max?

Post by BiB »

Passed my Mod1 and Mod2 a few days ago and so I am looking to move on up in the scooter world to something with a little more oomph, although the Xmax has done me proud to be fair, loved it.
My license restrictions mean that my options are to get a Majesty sized scooter for 2 years and then something else such as a T-Max (or maybe a second hand BMW by then?) or to get a T-Max now, have it restricted for 2 years and then unrestricted (derestricted?).
This is the bit I know nothing about - how do you get one restricted (what is physically done or is it a setting in the engine management software), how do the authorities (police etc) know whether it is or isn't done, will it just make a crap TMax, will it save money over buying a Majesty and trading up? etc etc etc

Anyone got any thoughts, or even better experience, I would love to hear them

StevenM
Benefactor

Re: Majesty or restricted T-Max?

Post by StevenM »

I bought my tmax from windy corner in leciester. I had to get them to order the restrictor kit and have them fit. I found out it was just 2 washers in the exhauat, at £250. But when I told my insurance they didn't even want to see the certificate to prove I had one fitted. So I drove home and took them out. It does state that it is restricted but no one can tell by just looking at it. If you do this then becareful as if you have an accident and the insurance company find out you have taken it off before hand they wont pay out.

Having said that with the restrictor kit fitted it lowers the mpg and top speed so I would recommend a Burgman 400. I can get over 60 mpg no matter how I drive and a range of over 160 miles.

charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Post by charles1976 »

I have a Burgman and I'm 1 year down the road of my 2 year restriction...my advice buy s Burgman, awesome machine ticks all the boxes...there will be all sorts on the market when your ready...stay legal!

Turisu
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman AN400 K8

Post by Turisu »

I got my A2 restricted license almost two years ago and have been riding a Mk1 Tmax since. I'm not going to say whether it's been restricted or not in that time, but what I will say is that the whole certified-restrictor-kit thing is a joke. Not once in two insurance renewals, one insurance claim, and several routine police stops have I ever been asked by anybody if my bike is restricted, and even if I had been asked, there is no legally recognised way of showing that it is. These certificates that get handed out are just pieces of paper, they are in no way legal documents; you might as well write one yourself on a cocktail napkin as pay for one. I'm not trying to encourage you to ride an unrestricted bike on a restricted license, I'm just giving you the info, what you do with it is up to you. Get the bike you want and enjoy riding it. :)

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Q is are you buying new or secondhand...
If new similar to StevenM posts... get it as part of the deal, then you have the paper work if needed, to cover you for the 2 years...
If it is just washers, and they happen to fall out, and you notice them on the garage floor and put them in a bag for safe keeping, as you never know they may come in handy some time in the next 2 years kind of thing... ;)
If Second Hand, the scoot may well come with a 'copy' of the Restricter Kit Fitting Confirmation/Certificate ;) someone may be able to send you a copy of a certificate, just so as you know what it looks like kinda thing...
A lot of insurance companies may want a copy of Alarm Cert, copy of Licence, NCD etc... Restrictor Cert - is there a proper one, like an MoT? Dunno...

Are they gonna drag a TMax off to the Dyno? - A YZF_Z_GSX_1000 maybe...

Bottom Line... where do you ride - Commuting to Central London / City ot Outs and Abouts, regular pulls your way? - most of what i see going to Central London is ANPR so if you have Tax / Insurance etc they prolly wont want to actually talk to you unless you are riding like a knob... which you usually can do if ya wearing a hi-viz vest...
Maybe not the law, just info: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... e-rip-off/

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

I do not agree with anyone that thinks they can bend/break the rules. The restriction is the law and there for a reason.

Whats the the difference between this and...

Chav's having mods on a their banger and not telling the insurance.
Fronting - where the parents insure the car, but the child is actually using it all or most of the time.
Destricted Mopeds - I don't agree with the law about holding these to 30, but whats the difference here when they derestricted they are illegal, but most would say thats not OK.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Deeping
Benefactor
Current Ride: t-max + xv1100

Post by Deeping »

I had a Majesty 250 and the main thing I remember about it was it rides very smooth and the weather protection was great and the seat was soooooo comfy. The headlamp pattern was a bit naf but I was not often out night on unlit roads so that was no biggy. I did think that it was not fast enough though – but this could be due to my other bike is an 1100cc. Speed is not the be all and end all of running a scooter but for me I do like to play with the throttle.
My next scooter was a tmax, both scooters but in a different leagues, I would not go back to a 250, I might go to a 125 – 180 size if I wanted to get loads more mpg. Not really sure where the 250 – 400 fits in to the scooter market – maybe touring.
Back to the tmax, the difference between Maj and tmax is striking. When I go out on the tmax I can hold my own with the sports bikes in the local club on just about any road with corners in, twister the better, the tmax will handle b road twisties, it will get its arse whipped in a straight line, but then you can catch up again on the corners, it is so gratifying to hang on to the back of a sports bike.
After I’d had it for a month or so I took the exhaust of to paint and fettle it, what I found was in the header pipes there restrictors, just fat washers that fit between the head and exhaust to restrict the flow. I took them out. If this is all that is done to restrict a tmax to 33bhp it don’t seem to make a lot of difference to the top speed, it does however take the edge off from say 40 to 60mph.
If I ride mine like a saint it will give me 65mpg, like a loony it will drop to 50mpg

If you start with a tmax you may never experience riding another scooter
These are just my thoughts and experience of the two scooters you mentioned and I expect to be shot down for voicing them, but that’s the nature of the muppets and it all seems to be done in good fun – well I hope it is.
Never instal version 1.0

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

I think BiB was thinking of a Majesty 400, which are completely different to the old Maj 250's.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

I'm inclined to agree with Mottza; The Law may be an ass but it applies to all, is not selective, so everyone suffers the same.
If we pick and choose which lawswe will adhere to and which we will ignore, anarchy is the result and that's ultimately no good for anyone.
It is an opinion to which I am entitled and which I feel able to express here; if others hold different opinions, so be it. ;)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

pikey

Post by pikey »

Its different attitude on trad scoots 200's reged as 125's 125's with 180 kits on learners no L plates learners riding kitted scoots is just the norm .Follwed a guy I know from west mids area into Weston I know he hasnt passed his test hes done part of it got his son on the back 180 kit on and no L's .He did at least keep off the Mway dont say I agree with it but it goes on and is wide spread .So couple of rescrictor washers missing is nothing really .If you want a proper riders scoot tmax if you want a scoot type scoot then others mentioned .Had my fun on the bigger ones quite happy now on 250 and 200 scoot if will do 60 2 up thats all I want now