Racing is money wasted

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Re: Racing is money wasted

Post by Liam »

Meldrew wrote:While the government are crowing about the amount of cycles being sold due to the success of the Olympics, it seems that music shops across the country are selling thousands of ukuleles due to renewed interest in the late George Formby. :)
I got my Uke from Lidl.
George Formby is a bit advanced for me.
But you should hear my "Stairway to heaven"
rawk.gif

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Data wrote:Funny though, in Kev's article some respondents go on about motorcycle safety and how the g'ment don't really want to encourage us lot or any newcomers to use motor bikes more because they are dangerous! Yet on the news today, the government are crowing about how successful the Olympic cycling has been and how there are thuosands of extra cycles being sold and being used on the roads. 54,000 more women have taken up cycling in the last 6 months with another 100,000 women taking it up in the next 6 months apparently. It didn't mention how many men were taking it up, but undoubtedly, loads!

So how is it the g'ment are so keen for this to happen when the AA in several reports tell us that cycling is one of the most dangerous methods of transport in the UK and indeed 'Urop'! They site that you are 37 times more likely to die riding a cycle for any given journey than if you used a car. I don't know what the figures are for a motorcycle/scooters but I know it's one hell of a lot less than that! Where I work, so many people cycle, but tell me motorcycling is far too dangerous for them to take up! How's that work?
I can well believe the figure regarding how likely you are to die riding a cycle, having for a short time a few years ago been both a cyclist and a scooter rider and feeling far safer on the scooter. But try putting this to the proverbial Joe Public whose perception is no doubt that scooters and motorcycles are dangerous and cycling is nice and safe. Along with the other false perceptions of powered two-wheelers being cold and wet (cycling isn't obviously), that they ' have no luggage space ' (again cycles obviously have loads and in any case how much luggage do you need to take to work?), and one I have heard a few times ' you can't get the wife and kids on the back. ' How many people do you know who take the wife and kids to work with them?
Over my many years on two wheels (16 this time and 10 in my younger days) I have tried to get people to consider making the switch to a scooter for commuting but after getting the usual stuff about 'they're dangerous/cold and wet ' etc so many times I have given up. It's like banging my head against a brick wall. I just leave them to it. Driving their cars and moaning about the traffic while I pass them in smug mode. They might think differently when either we have gridlock or fuel is so expensive nobody can afford to run a car anymore.

R1K SU
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by R1K SU »

Gosh, there are some clever people posting on that, i think i counted some 8 letter words !
Yam RD350 YPVS
Honda VFR750
Yam RD 350 air
Kawa GT550
Kawa ZZR600
Yam FZ1s
Burgman 650
Honda VFR 1200 DCT....ecu Flashed
Suzuki GSXS1000
Suzuki GSXR1000 K7 😜😜
Zero FXS

Deeping
Benefactor
Current Ride: t-max + xv1100

Post by Deeping »

Eleven leters if you include hyphenated
Never instal version 1.0

irev
Current Ride: AN400

Post by irev »

Anyone who rides bi-cycles on our roads should be put in camps.
Anyone who promotes riding cycles on our roads should be put in camps
Anyone who promotes riding cycles as a way to ensure the ongoing resilience of the gene pool should be elevated to the House of Lords. And then put in a field and shot
Unless their name is Boris fucking-Johnson. who should be taken outside and shot. Immediately. Field or no field.

Since the Olympics kicked off I have nearly annihilated four untrained, incompetent, suicidal and cognisent-deficient bi-cyclists who seem to think they have a cats chance of nine lives: Riding without lights in the dark. Riding the wrong way up a dual carriageway. Riding two abreast on a single-track country line. Or pulling across a line of traffic against a red light.

One day realisation will dawn that the only people who ride bicycles are fuckwits who are only smart enough to realise they are too stupid to take any kind of competency test to actually drive or ride on the highway, so deflecting their own inadequacies and incompetence on legitimate, trained road users who are expected to compensate for the utter stupidity of their actions.

My only regret is I have yet to hit any of them.

Fuck knows I've tried.
Shit car; protected no claims bonus; airbag, MOT'd and taxed vehicle and everything.

I'm so very sorry...
No door is closed to an open mind.
Except a closed door, which a mind can't open, but even a stupid hand can.

irev

Post by irev »

Meantime, Ducati have just lost Rossi and still don't have a decent scooter to their name.

Racing?

Bollocks.

Deeping
Benefactor
Current Ride: t-max + xv1100

Post by Deeping »

Hi Irev, don’t beat about the bush, just say what you mean. :P
Never instal version 1.0

burgerman
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda FJS600 Silverwing

Post by burgerman »

irev wrote:Anyone who rides bi-cycles on our roads should be put in camps.
One day realisation will dawn that the only people who ride bicycles are fuckwits who are only smart enough to realise they are too stupid to take any kind of competency test to actually drive or ride on the highway, so deflecting their own inadequacies and incompetence on legitimate, trained road users who are expected to compensate for the utter stupidity of their actions.
I've had a full bike licence since 1970, I was a class 1 traffic police driver, and I've got a class 1 HGV licence.

I also cycle to keep fit, as well as racing with my local club. If you read the 'get fit journal' thread johnp started, you'll find quite a few Muppets also cycle. IIRC, that's all Be1fran does now, after he got rid of his burger.
Not all cyclists are bad, it's the usual case of a minority of inconsiderate prats getting the majority a bad name, as it is with "legitimate, trained road users" in or on motorised vehicles.
Passing a driving test is proof you reached the required standard on the day of the test. Continuing to drive at that standard afterwards is the real test.

A bit like life itself, you never really notice the good, but the bad stands out a mile.

Just my 5p's worth.
As I grow older, my mind doesn't just wander......sometimes it buggers off completely!!
You can't avoid growing up, but you can be immature all your life!

irev

Post by irev »

You are right of course, Burgerman.

But the fact remains that loons inspired by Der Olympics (aside: Why is it not public knowledge Baron de Coubertin was an open supporter of Nazism? Or the objective of the `Modern Games` was primarily instigated to help the French win... at War?) need only know how to open a wallet to be able to mix it on the streets with the likes of you and I.

No training, no proficiency exam. Not even an eyesight test. And no-one makes them wear a helmet, when many buybuy-cycles actually go much faster than the 30mph moped limit, for which you must wear approved headgear...

While I have no problem coping with my own inadequacies I draw the line at compensating for others.

So I take it you agree that we should aim at the minority..? ;)

After all, if you don't they soon breed, and that won't be good.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

irev wrote:
Since the Olympics kicked off I have nearly annihilated four untrained, incompetent, suicidal and cognisent-deficient bi-cyclists who seem to think they have a cats chance of nine lives: Riding without lights in the dark. Riding the wrong way up a dual carriageway. Riding two abreast on a single-track country line. Or pulling across a line of traffic against a red light.
You should try the countryside - its even worse for idiot leisure cyclists! Most of them have no conception that there is a difference between a cycle route (a road recommended for cycles) and a cycle way ( a dedicated cycle road). Most of them NEVER look over their shoulders when turning right. Their favourite trick is on a hill, to pull round a sharp (blind) bend, and then stop on the carriageway for a rest or a fag.
And don't get me started on racing cyclists - I've nearly taken out at least 2 who seem to think that they are taking part in the Tour de France and that the road is closed except for them, as they use all the road and I've nearly met them head on!!!