Racing is money wasted

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Zed
Current Ride: Trek 7300

Re: Racing is money wasted

Post by Zed »

As said the minority of bicyclists give the others a bad name: but IMO that minority is increasing, as they feed off each other.
One who might obey the Highway Code sees three in front of him go thru a red light, so (s)he is swayed to do so as well. Then another see's "everyone" doing it, so they join in too.

Around work at the moment they've closed off a bunch of roads (like both lanes closed to vehicles), with diversions in place. This means a load of bicyclists coming at you down the wrong way of the changed roads, and they just don't give a fuck. Last week i almost hit three in succession, as they power down the wrong way; parked lorry one side (with a bemused driver watching it all); pedestrians on the other.

This morning i'm going the only way on a one-way bit; bicyclist comes steaming off the footpath (of the block road) cuts straight in front of me, making me clutch the brakes hard to not take him out - then sails down the road "maintaining his momentum for safety".

I fucking hate fixies the worse. Regular bicyclists have a (sizeable) minority of cünts; fixies have a majority it seems.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Zed wrote:
I fucking hate fixies the worse. Regular bicyclists have a (sizeable) minority of cünts; fixies have a majority it seems.
Sorry, can you translate this modern speak for us old fogies....fixies????????

Deeping
Benefactor
Current Ride: t-max + xv1100

Post by Deeping »

FIXIES
A bicycle lacking a freewheel mechanism in the rear hub. That is the crank set and rear wheel are completely dependent of one another. To propel forward or backwards the pedals must be moving.
WIKI
Never instal version 1.0

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Deeping wrote:FIXIES
A bicycle lacking a freewheel mechanism in the rear hub. That is the crank set and rear wheel are completely dependent of one another. To propel forward or backwards the pedals must be moving.
WIKI
Thanks...oh you mean nutters....the bloke opposite me at work is a cycling enthusiast (despite being a 20st rugby player). He said he built himself a fixed wheel bike....and nearly killed himself!

irev
Current Ride: AN400

Post by irev »

Deeping wrote:hi Irev, quote "and here I must apologise to the Muppetry. I accelerated hard, but missed them."
I hope thats an apology for missing and not accelerating
I hang my head in shame... I had the Navara in the wrong gear out of respect to the owners consumption (and here I shall explain the confusion by confirming the owners consumption was several pints of cider. I don't give a crap about his diesel... ) :kiss: :lol:

But it does give me an idea for a new Olympic sport, combining the best elements of cycling, dressage and modern pentathlon:

You start with cyclists.
You make them ride like pricks (but wearing helmets).
And then you shoot them.

I tell you it's a winner!

Far more exciting than synchronised shitting, which is my other suggestion. Strangely, the organisers were a bit sniffy about that one... :D
No door is closed to an open mind.
Except a closed door, which a mind can't open, but even a stupid hand can.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Just found this:

Driving on the pavement

The offence of ‘driving on the pavement’ is potentially the most powerful weapon in the book and could immediately be used to great effect if the police wished to and had broad support in doing so. This offence was introduced way back in time by the Highways Act 1835 (section 72) which states that is an offence is caused by: “driving on any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers“. You may be interested to know that it covers any ‘horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge‘ – it is the ‘carriage of any description’ which is useful even though cars had not been invented at the time.

It does not seem to have been repealed - ban baby-buggies, I say! :D
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

irev wrote:
Deeping wrote:
But it does give me an idea for a new Olympic sport, combining the best elements of cycling, dressage and modern pentathlon:

You start with cyclists.
And then you shoot them.

Far more exciting than synchronised shitting, which is my other suggestion. Strangely, the organisers were a bit sniffy about that one... :D
I like it!!!! But you could also incorporate different strategies for removing them, eg running them over in cars, for differing levels of points awarded...

Deeping
Benefactor
Current Ride: t-max + xv1100

Post by Deeping »

MrGrumpy wrote:
irev wrote:
Deeping wrote:

You start with cyclists.
And then you shoot them.

I like it!!!! But you could also incorporate different strategies for removing them, eg running them over in cars, for differing levels of points awarded...

Oh no he didn't
Never instal version 1.0

irev
Current Ride: AN400

Post by irev »

I'm all for this, and we can incorporate diving elements and javelin to make it the `Proper Pedalists Pentathlon...'

Degree of difficulty 3.6 a twist, a pike and a somersault... as the body hits the ground

Vlad had the right idea, 500 years before the Nazi de Coubertin. You can guarantee that if Vlad had had cyclists, he'd have impaled them...
No door is closed to an open mind.
Except a closed door, which a mind can't open, but even a stupid hand can.

anonstarter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Pending

Post by anonstarter »

MrGrumpy wrote:
irev wrote:
Deeping wrote: But it does give me an idea for a new Olympic sport, combining the best elements of cycling, dressage and modern pentathlon:
You start with cyclists. You make them ride like pricks (but wearing helmets). And then you shoot them. I tell you it's a winner!
Have you gents seen the (1975) Movie Death Race 2000 - staring David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone? You could tweak a few ideas from that! :P
If you want to be incrementally better: Be competitive. If you want to be exponentially better: Be cooperative.