Going Stir Crazy!...

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Going Stir Crazy!...

Post by Data »

Yesterday for me was an interesting day. I'm a mere yoof but I've had 3 weeks being laid up with a knee injury. It has kept me almost completely housebound. I've not been able to run in the Olympics or anything. So no Burgman riding and can't drive my car. My wife and I are supposed to be on holiday, but we can't go anywhere as walking is a real pain, literally! In fact, the pain has been so bad that I don't know what to do with myself some days in spite of some powerful meds. :cry: I'm not supposed to be doing much at all except resting it and taking the medication that will, it is hoped, bring my knee back to near normality. We'll see on that one.

Anyhoo, the knee IS slowly improving and yesterday the pain was much less. I was able not to take the painkillers for the first time in 3 weeks. Wife said she is going shopping and would be gone for at least 2hours. The sun was out and frankly I just wanted to get to the garage and look at the bike! Well, that's ride the Burgman actually. I mentioned this to the wife...and the response was predictably, "don't go anywhere near the Burgman while I'm out"! Sensible advice I know...but I'm like Dougal on 'Father Ted'. I'd seen the button and I wanted to press it! And you know...after the wife had gone shopping...that's what I did!! :o Oh...joy! But I didn't have long I thought or I'd be caught. The wife always takes exactly two hours to do the weekly shop.

So knee strapped up, gear on, carefully wheeled said bike out of garage, and after a quick check over, I thumbed the starter and off I went! This was made all the more exciting as it was a clandestine operation. I adopted the cruiser feet forward position as this did not cause any knee pain. It's fair to say that I would not have been able to ride my Vstrom. The act of changing gear alone would have caused a world of pain. But the Burgman, being an auto, that turned out to be fine and I was counting my blessings at having bought her. I trickled out onto the A12 and off I went. I can tell you guys that riding that Burgman was better than any medication. The adrenalin level went up, spirit lifted, senses sharpened, the sheer joy of riding was instantly there! Wow, she felt good, I'd really missed this. I cruised at 65-70mph for several miles, overtaking by squirting to 80mph, getting past then returning to 70 in the left lane. Lovely! Sun still shining too. I left the A12, swooped through some lovely 'A' and 'B' road bends, laid the power on and off as I literally threw it through a series of manouvers and really had some fun. But time was getting on...the Burgman was telling me with it's clock that I needed to get home or I'd be found out. So, sadly after just 25 miles I turned her around and headed back home. When I got home I had covered just 50 miles, but the best 50 miles I've had in the saddle for many months. Incidentally, wife found out I'd been out, don't know how. But she even knows what I'm thinking somehow (how do they do that?)...but could clearly see I was much much happier and not limping so much, so amazingly I'm not in any trouble...phew!!! :o :roll: Sorry for this longish post and thank goodness for computers. At least I can inflict myself on you lot for something to do!!... :o :lol: 8-)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

macp
Current Ride: Gilera ST200

Re: Going Stir Crazy!...

Post by macp »

I enjoyed reading that I was almost on the pillion with you :D

Since I got my runner I am really enjoying riding again so I get exactly where you are coming from. Glad you are on the mend and keep up the inspirational posting :D

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Nice post! We are luck with some good roads around here. The B1029 is quite good.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Alanzzg
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing

Post by Alanzzg »

nice one mate i know how you are feiling i was off for 3 months :( ,but go stead you do not won't to make things worse
Member of The Ugly Bunch -2
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly,

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

Good to hear, hope you get on the mend soon.

visfix
Benefactor
Current Ride: 06 Aprilia Atlantic Sprint 500

Post by visfix »

I sympathize. I've been off for almost 2 months now, and just going out of my mind! icon_bang_head.gif
Non Timetis Messor!

RIP Pepsi

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Nothing like a good run on a bike for clearing the cobwebs out.
Hope your knee gets sorted soon.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Thanks for the kind wishes lads. It should be ok it's just that knees take a long time to heal, so they tell me. Some of it is due to my mispent yoof and life as an engineer and tech where knees can get a bit of a hammering. When I started doing that stuff, men were men and health and safety was well..."whats that"? When welding or braising fuel tanks you did it with the petrol still in, in case someone thought you were a sissy!!! (only joking but you get my drift). So although I wore knee pads when required , the knees got a bit of a hammering as we did jobs differently then to the way some of them are done now for all sorts of reasons. Hoists and engine jacks are used now for engines and gearboxes all the time, whereas 40 years ago it was a bit more manual, and of course there's that H&S. Still never mind. Visfix, sorry to hear you are in a similar boat! At least that computer keeps you in touch with 'us' and everything two wheeler. Hope you get back to normality asap. There is no danger I will go out of my mind...as I've been out of it for so long now!!! as some of you on here who know me will be able to attest to. :lol:

Mottza, you're right. We have some very good roads in our region just waiting for us to pound up and down on. I'll get down to Bentley as soon as the knee is ok so hope to see you and any others that may be spinning around one evening. Seeing doc on Monday so hope it will be good news...and I don't need my leg to be cut off, put in a sling, poked about, or injected. :o
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Post by halfabusa »

as always, a joy to read your post. you described the experience so well that i almost felt the wind on my face as you rode the burgman. Good luck with your recovery and keep that muppet spirit alive!
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Thanks for sharing that, a ride on the maxi scooter is just what the doctor would recommend, fresh air, a laid back resting position, with the knee elevated, adrenalin being pumped around the body, I think take 2 rides a week, not with water.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i