wow

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: wow

Post by MrGrumpy »

Deeping wrote:Don’t know what was so right and British about the Freddy Mercury guy, they showed a video of a dead guy who was born in India, gay, and died of aids. Should we be proud of this person or am I not seeing it right?
Born in Zanzibar actually.....akin to many of 'our' sporting heroes...eg Kevin Pietersen

Deeping
Benefactor
Current Ride: t-max + xv1100

Post by Deeping »

MrGrumpy wrote:
Deeping wrote:Don’t know what was so right and British about the Freddy Mercury guy, they showed a video of a dead guy who was born in India, gay, and died of aids. Should we be proud of this person or am I not seeing it right?
Born in Zanzibar actually.....akin to many of 'our' sporting heroes...eg Kevin Pietersen

I stand corrected, still – not British at birth so how does he represent Britishness, if there is such a word, and convey it to the world?
I think the ceremony was wasted on me as I did not understand what they were trying to say.
Never instal version 1.0

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Deeping wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:

I stand corrected, still – not British at birth so how does he represent Britishness, if there is such a word, and convey it to the world?
I think the ceremony was wasted on me as I did not understand what they were trying to say.
I doubt that few of us can trace our ancestry very far back before we discover we aren't really "British" after all.

The problem with modern Britain is, I think, that we have still not really found our collective identity after empire. But to me this Olympics went a good way towards it. If you didn't get it, that's ok. Maybe something else will help you.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

terryvanman
Benefactor

Post by terryvanman »

Dear God,
Please send clothes for all those poor ladies
in Daddy's computer. Amen

JohnR93
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NT700 Deauville

Post by JohnR93 »

Freddie was born in Zanzibar and grew up in India until his mid-teens...

Bradley Wiggins was born in Gent (Belgium)... but we don't hold that against him (do we?) :lol:
Regards,
(100% Ugly Bunch Member)

scorpakid
Current Ride: x8 400i.scorpa125

Post by scorpakid »

im suprised they didnt have the rollin stone's..... surely the most successfull british band ..but...with all that young fanny in the stadium it would have been a job keeping mick jagger away from it.... and yes i also thought posh spice looked a miserable witch...not the kind of gal one would look forward to coming home to every night.... jessie j... superb singer...and even better..her unbelievable arse..... i enjoyed it... :roll:

loonymoon
Global Moderator
Current Ride: None

Post by loonymoon »

Deeping's comment about Freddie Mercury is about the stupidest thing I've ever read on this forum. So he was gay.... that's not a crime nor does it matter one jot to who he was if he died of AIDS contracted at a time before it was fully understood... George Michael is also gay of course, but George Michael was also find high on drugs in charge of driving a car on more than one occasion. Why wasn't he mentioned in the comment?

I was really hoping they'd show more Freddie footage as I think he was fabulous. Yes he was flamboyant and had a very vigorous sex life but that's hardly illegal. Lennon and the rest of the Beatles spent a lot of time high on drugs, as I'm sure a lot of the featured artists from those decades probably did.
Just sold : 2010 Piaggio XEvo 400ie, in midnight blue. Heated Grips, Acumen horn, MM sticker!!Image

Previous 2006 Piaggio X8 400 ie Image

burgerman
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda FJS600 Silverwing

Post by burgerman »

loonymoon wrote: I was really hoping they'd show more Freddie footage as I think he was fabulous. Yes he was flamboyant and had a very vigorous sex life but that's hardly illegal. Lennon and the rest of the Beatles spent a lot of time high on drugs, as I'm sure a lot of the featured artists from those decades probably did.
I'm with Carmen on this one.
Freddie Mercury was certainly flamboyant, the ultimate showman. Never got to see Queen live, but the shows I saw on TV and video, he was good!!

Unless it affects someone else, I fail to see what somebody's sexuality has to do with anyone else.

Yes, a lot of those earlier bands were on drugs, (some of 'em probably still are!) but whose to say these modern so-called 'stars' aren't? Or is there another explanation for their behaviour?
As I grow older, my mind doesn't just wander......sometimes it buggers off completely!!
You can't avoid growing up, but you can be immature all your life!

Deeping
Benefactor
Current Ride: t-max + xv1100

Post by Deeping »

loonymoon wrote:Deeping's comment about Freddie Mercury is about the stupidest thing I've ever read on this forum. So he was gay.... that's not a crime nor does it matter one jot to who he was if he died of AIDS contracted at a time before it was fully understood... George Michael is also gay of course, but George Michael was also find high on drugs in charge of driving a car on more than one occasion. Why wasn't he mentioned in the comment?

I was really hoping they'd show more Freddie footage as I think he was fabulous. Yes he was flamboyant and had a very vigorous sex life but that's hardly illegal. Lennon and the rest of the Beatles spent a lot of time high on drugs, as I'm sure a lot of the featured artists from those decades probably did.

I think you missed my point, maybe I wrote it badly. I thought the closing ceremony was to promote Britain to the rest of the world and what it stood for. I sited FM as not typically British, was I wrong in your opinion. I said they showed him on a video, why not use a performance of some who is here with use, live as it were instead of a recording? Promoting Britain for what it is now not what it was by using an old recording.
Never instal version 1.0

anonstarter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Pending

Post by anonstarter »

scorpakid wrote:im suprised they didnt have the rollin stone's..... surely the most successfull british band ..but...with all that young fanny in the stadium it would have been a job keeping mick jagger away from it....
rawk.gif Rumour has it that the Rolling Stones motto was/is "No snow no show..." Now, I could be wrong, but you cant buy a lot of 'snow' for a £1! icon_funky-dance.gif
If you want to be incrementally better: Be competitive. If you want to be exponentially better: Be cooperative.