PXing the XMax for a Vespa GTS300 - Your Thoughts?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

PXing the XMax for a Vespa GTS300 - Your Thoughts?

Post by SH125Paul »

Next month is the final payment on my 250 XMax...and after 3 years...fancy a change, and hopefully 3 more years of trouble free(ish) commuting on something new...

The Vespa GTS300 Super Sport in the delightful Orange!, has caught my eye in my advancing years...(43)
Now, I liked my old Runner, 200 in a small scoot, but after 5 years was starting to suffer the odd gremlin, Reg/Rec, Rusty Zorst, Broken Rear Shock, Wobbly Swing Bushes...

Is the GTS like a Runner for Grown Ups?
What are they like for self serving, are they prone to the same issues?

Gonna pop down the local dealer at lunch time...see what they may offer me PX for my '09 Xmax 250 SE...top-of-my-head thinking is 2k, Vespa is 4k - so 2k to change...(or is that out-of-my-head thinking?)

Earl
Benefactor
Current Ride: Mana 850

Re: PXing the XMax for a Vespa GTS300 - Your Thoughts?

Post by Earl »

The best people to ask these questions are on here

http://www.gtsownersclub.co.uk/forum/in ... e284bc85b1
It Is Better To Be Hated For What You Are, Than To Be loved For What You Are Not.

SH125Paul
Benefactor

Post by SH125Paul »

Earl wrote:The best people to ask these questions are on here

Yeah, but they are gonna be biased... was after a balanced opinion
I've had a snoop around, (and on Modern Vespa as well) - and the site seems to have a lot of info - just didnt want to register on a whim...

pikey

Post by pikey »

The orange gts is nice if you dont register you cant allways see everything on forums cant see the harm meself.Some have suffered rusting Ive just brought an 04 200 and its got no rust except exhaust .From what i see they need treating inside under floor and behind tool box where welded seams are if water gets in can rust from inside .Personally If was buying new would do it or have it done Im going to strip mine to check it .Mechanically 300 seems spot on no major issues that Ive heard .I havent ridden mine as no tax or insurance yet except for around the block its more of a sit up and beg position buts seems fun to ride .

Earl
Benefactor
Current Ride: Mana 850

Post by Earl »

XMax250Paul wrote:
Earl wrote:The best people to ask these questions are on here

Yeah, but they are gonna be biased... was after a balanced opinion
I've had a snoop around, (and on Modern Vespa as well) - and the site seems to have a lot of info - just didnt want to register on a whim...
They are far from biased, most of them came from riding Italjet Dragsters and Gilera runners so they could answer the questions you've asked regarding the runner, you have also asked are they easy to work on, who else would know except someone who had one???? I'd say they are easy to work on but what would I know owning a Mana lol
It Is Better To Be Hated For What You Are, Than To Be loved For What You Are Not.

SH125Paul
Benefactor

Post by SH125Paul »

Right then, just back from a loacal dealership...
The Orange is nice... But, in the flesh, the Matt / Satin Black is nicer ;)

Unfortunatly, my 'guestimate' on residules @ £2k was a bit out... and as they have a couple of secondhand XMax250's on there books - way out! @ £1k subject to workshop inspection... :shock: Think book price is about £2k - £2k5 private...

So it's keeping the XMax for me, for now... Just hope she don't let me down now, for having a wandering eye...

Shame :cry: ...

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

Sell the Xmax privately. The GTS is brilliant and ifit gets a proper i.e. Cheeky Tom PDI will give many miles of trouble free riding.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Paul, I have ridden one on a test run only. It went like the clappers, was very responsive and handled great. It has a very short wheelbase though which isn't good if you are tall like me. Compared to my Burgman, it was very bumpy and harsh to ride, feeling every single bump in the road. The shorter the wheelbase and the smaller the wheels are, the more they tend to ride like that. I confess though, I don't know what the suspension was setup like, so maybe it could have been improved. But for me it was very cramped and it won't be as spacious as your Xmax. But they are about one of the best midrange scooters on the market from what I understand from the people that know. Very reliable. I would guess you must try one to see if it fits you and to see if you like the ride comfort. For longer runs I would personnally find it very uncomfortable both from the riding position point of view and the smaller wheels sending all the bumps up through my bottom. If someone is coming up from a smaller scooter though, none of that would probably matter. Indeed if I were not a Burgman rider, I too would have probably found it acceptable. :shock:
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

Very true, I came from PXs and Lammies to the GTS and found it marvellous. However I couldnt go back now after the armchair luxury of a Maxi! For round town and country roads they cant be beaten though.

ridinhigh
Current Ride: GTS 300

Post by ridinhigh »

I find mine very responsive loads of good useable acceleration a top speed around 80mph,handles very well
and looks good mines a gloss black one

disadvantages are small fuel tank 9/ltrs helmet wont fit under seat easy ,mines a open face,
and you must take care
when filling up otherwise fuel will spill all over ,its a very small filler hole you cant see fuel in tank topping up.,first time i fuel up i spilt it