Northern Riders went to Norfolk

Gerard C
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

Northern Riders went to Norfolk

Post by Gerard C »

Just a quick report on the weekend away. I met up with Steve on his Burgman 400 in Bawtry Market square. (A very clean machine, apparently mine isn't - because of dust under the top box Ha Ha)! Bawtry is a pretty good place actually lots of Cafe's and it was bustling in the Sunshine. Started off towards the South with me following Steve. We kept to A roads as far as possible also excluding dual carriageways. Got to Newark and checked out the Aircraft museum - which was closed. We only went to see if Alan had made it by then. He was on his IAM ride out and hoped to join us at this point. He didn't so we set off again. Brilliant riding conditions and the miles just shot by. Both Burgmans luggaged up. We stopped at a great Pub for lunch in Heckington. I can't remember the name of the place but I will put it on when I can. The welcome was exceptionally warm and it was hard to tear ourselves away. We stopped whenever we felt like it or saw something interesting. We arrived at the B and B in Downham Market just as, unbelievably, Alan got there from the other direction. Mike the owner gave us a very welcome cold can of Fosters and showed us to our rooms. Very neat and tidy.

After a quick freshen up we set off to check out the local Pubs. Plenty of them and a couple had Bands playing. A Summer night in September - great. After a pretty good Indian meal we had a final Pint we headed off back to the Digs.

Next morning Mike cooked us a fantastic breakfast that lasted me till about 11.00am. Nothing wrong with it but I do like my food. Onwards towards Norwich where we met up with Peter from the Burgman Riders UK site. Great Guy on his Silver Dream Machine, a nice touch of self depreciating humour I thought. He had put the word out and there were 9 of us gathered together, including Jim B from Chesterfield. A nice group ride followed with Peter setting a good pace.

Peter lead the way to the Seething Airfield. The air show started at 2 ish and although not packed full of Vulcans and Jet fighters made for an interesting afternoon. The small nature of the event gave a very good atmosphere. Our Bikes were parked up near the end of the Classic Car section alongside a couple of Classic Bikes. Before long we were answering questions, People thought we were in the show. Maxi Scoots do attract interest.

As the show wound down Alan and Jim set off back to Wakefield and Chesterfield respectively while Steve and I headed off to Clare. A place I had never heard of until then. Steve had booked a B and B and we were made welcome by Ron and his Wife, both exiles from Scotland. Another recommended stop if you're in the area. After a great breakfast and a great deal of swearing at my Disc lock which decided to play silly buggers and wanted to stay on but eventually it gave in, we set off for an explore. We got down into North Essex, an area where I had never been, before turning Northwards. Keeping again to roads Steve knew we "somehow" found our way back to the same Pub we had stopped at on the way down. Amazing!

After that stop we picked up the pace a little and I made it back home as promised by 6.00pm. To be fair though I did weaken and use the A1 from Newark to stick to the target.

All in all a fantastic trip away. The Bikes performed well. Met some great people and issued a general invite to come up North and check out some real hills, and Pot Holes! Good to see Jim B back out and about again. Hopefully he might have some pics to post. Sorry about the lack of detail, I will put up a route list and other stuff when Steve reminds me of where we went.

Fingers
Current Ride: Maxsym 400

Re: Northern Riders went to Norfolk

Post by Fingers »

Sounds like a great weekend .... might join you next time for some of it providing I don't have a double hoof weekend like this time.... obviously pics of all the maxis lined up at the airfield are a must! :P

Fingers
Current Ride: Maxsym 400

Re: Northern Riders went to Norfolk

Post by Fingers »

Double gig weekend.. bloody predictive text!! :oops: :oops: