Born again Burgman biker

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Francley40
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Born again Burgman biker

Post by Francley40 »

Been off the road for probably 20 years, although riding trials for the last 5, and thought it time to get a road bike before I'm too old.
Wondered about a CBR600 then dismissed it as crazy. I've always liked the big scooters so thought I'd give it a go.
So, I went out and bought myself a Burgman 650 a week or so ago.
I've only been able to get out on it twice so far but have come back with the inevitable big-grin-on-face both times. I feel like a dude but probably look like a twat.
Just got to find out a bit more about it, and how to get the best from it, so I'll apologise now for asking all those same old newbie questions as everybody else..........
I ride, therefore I am.

johnp
Benefactor
Current Ride: The Wife

Re: Born again Burgman biker

Post by johnp »

Hi and welcome aboard.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Welcome aboard. :kiss:

An observation, from an ex-owner, is you'll likely not bother much with manual mode once any initial novelty wears off. Only time I made any use was if running around 35/40mph for any reasonable duration, flipped into M and changed up to lower revs and help mpg.

If you want to plumb in several items in the glovebox there's decent 3 way adaptors on EBay that use a side entry lead, which helps with the poor socket position (unless you've a 2013 model).

If lower back support/comfort is important to you there are options with higher back supports using current mountings - have a little dig around the forum or on Burgman USA (BUSA).

What year model is your new toy?
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

mightbesane
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K4

Post by mightbesane »

A buddy of mine and I were on the road a while back on our Burgers - he's got a 650, mine's a 400. At a stop light, a guy in a brand new Mercedes convertible pulled up next to us, gave us a thumbs up and said, "Are those scooters? I've never seen ones that that before. Very nice." Now, you don't see as many maxis on the road in the States as you do out your way, but nobody has ever suggested that I was a wuss as I whiz by at 80 mph on the highway!
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. ~Frank ZappaImage

Francley40
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by Francley40 »

Really, I know shockingly little about it. It's a 2004 non-executive with less than 5k on the clock.
It's got the standard tool kit but doesn't seem to have the owners manual.
Everything seems to work but I'm not sure I know how to work everything - if you see what i mean.
Do the lights stay on all the time? Can't seem to find on off switch..
Thanks for the 12v USB tips coz i think I'll be connected up my SG2 for the sat nav.
I had to laugh on Sunday - bike wouldn't fire up then I remembered to pull on the brake...........
I ride, therefore I am.

Gerard C
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

Post by Gerard C »

Hi Matey, You will love it. Enough power and great comfort. I dont know where you're from but if your Northern based and like ride outs with others check out the Northern Riders posts.

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Francley40 wrote:Really, I know shockingly little about it. It's a 2004 non-executive with less than 5k on the clock.
Similar to what I had, except mine had 16k when I got it, it should do very well for you - what sorta annual mileage are you planning?

I found one of the bar end weights a sloppy fit (oh err), which can be common so ended up changing for these. I was really pleased as the lower weight helped the front end steering response, so unless you're planning on pillion and heavy topbox you might want to think about a small and cheap bit of "bling" - I kept mine black:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350301926423? ... 1438.l2649

Here's a sample on the glovebox extension:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140419212663? ... 1438.l2649

If you're the sort to self-maintain you must checkout this amazing resource, we even let him off for being a Yank!

https://sites.google.com/site/testburgmancenter02/

One option to save the pennies is to adapt the existing air filter to use RamAir filter foam, rather than replace the costly OEM every time - must be simple as I managed to do it!

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 35#p484462

One thing worth checking out is the state of your brake pad pins, on any bike that's had little use (and therefore maintenance probably) they're very prone to siezing. Just take them out and coppaslip them for piece of mind.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

bornagainbiker
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by bornagainbiker »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

For safety, I think since 2002 on all new bikes the lights are always on with no on\off switch.
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

Hi and welcome, the 650 is a handy tool, I took one out on a test ride earlier this year and was very impressed.
icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Hello & Welcome to the icon_muppets.png