What to buy

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
spaceprobe
Benefactor
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i ABS

What to buy

Post by spaceprobe »

Hi all some of you may remember me from the old Chinese scooter days. For the last few years I have been running around on big bikes and currently have a Kawasaki Vulcan. A fab bike, but 60 next birthday and I am no longer doing long runs. I have therefore been thinking about a maxi scoot, which would be lighter and more comfortable be good for running around Brighton and capable of the odd trip to London or weekend away. So What to get and what a nightmare trying to get test rides. I had to go up to London last week to test ride a SYM Joymax 300i. I was impressed with it but at just under 6'3" I found it a little small and got buffeted quite a lot. The specs and reviews for the SYM Symmax 400i look good but have got to go to Southampton to try one. I guess the other option may be the Piaggio X10 same price as the 400i, it looks a little smaller on paper and I have got to go to a dealer near Heathrow to try one. Any suggestions and comments welcome. Ta
Maximum respect

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Re: What to buy

Post by VOZZA »

Hi spaceprobe and welcome.
Both of your choices would do what you want, so I guess it's down to trying them out to see which fits you best, you might also try the Suzuki Burgman 400 which is roomy too.
I am the same height and age as you, so I'll be interested to see how you get on.
icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

spaceprobe
Benefactor

Post by spaceprobe »

I put the Burgman on the list and it and the Max 400i seem similar. However the Burg is £1300 more and I have read mixed reviews about high service costs and clutch problems.
Maximum respect

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Peugeot are launching a couple of 400s soon. The 3-wheeled Metropolis is due imminently and the Satelis in a couple of months.

But the Metropolis is probably too expensive (unless you were also looking at the Piaggio equivalent) and the Satelis a little far off if you want something now, though.

Just thought I'd mention them though.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

Hi and welcome :D have you had a look at http://www.cdscooters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they are in brighton and do piaggio, or have you had bad expierience, only though regards to local service if buying new :D
Piaggio, Vespa, Gilera, Aprilia, and Derbi scooters from 50cc - 850cc
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

johnp
Benefactor
Current Ride: The Wife

Post by johnp »

Hi and welcome aboard.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

michaelphillips wrote:Hi and welcome :D have you had a look at http://www.cdscooters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they are in brighton and do piaggio, or have you had bad expierience, only though regards to local service if buying new :D
Piaggio, Vespa, Gilera, Aprilia, and Derbi scooters from 50cc - 850cc
Pretty sure that other members on here have had positive things to report on CD Scooters (Capitano?).
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

spaceprobe
Benefactor

Post by spaceprobe »

Cd scooters a grubby shed with a x10 in the corner that I could just about see. No salesman available but one rang me at home and told me not to waste my money and get a Beverly instead. Looks like I have to go to a dealer near Heathrow to test one!
Maximum respect

frankiej1949
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

Post by frankiej1949 »

Hi and welcome. Thoroughly recommend the X10.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Have a look at a Majesty 400, they are well priced at the moment. I bought one last year after years of 'proper' bike ownership and haven't looked back. It's very capable and has done everything I've asked of it, as an added bonus its does well over 60 mpg, closer to 70 really.