NC700 DCT X or S?

Chat about any motorbike here.
pikey

Re: NC700 DCT X or S?

Post by pikey »

If I remember right they develpoed this first for their quad bikes few years ago so I dont think its a new as you may think

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

wozza wrote: I do realise however, that it isn't to your taste which is fair enough - It won't suit everyone.
Very true, there are DCT phobes on the NC forum too. I love it and find it enhances my ride particularly in town. I think I will always have a bike with this capability or CVT in my stable.
icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Enough for me to know I didn't like it.
I had decided I didn't like it after about four hundred yards.
After four miles I wanted to get off, but it was my loaner for the day while the PCX was being serviced so I had to ride it home.
Where it sat parked till it was time to return it and collect my scooter.

jamie
Benefactor
Current Ride: sport city 300 .. gtr 1400

Post by jamie »

i wonder if you can get the back brake moved to the handle bars

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Doubt it, the parking brake is in the way.

Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Post by Taipan »

wozza wrote:
gn2 wrote:Still in its infancy, but likely to be pretty reliable long term because it isn't Italian or on a BMW.
I think it woud be great for people who are unable to operate a clutch or gear lever due to disability,
Yes very true. Personally I would have like to have seen ithe NC with belt drive, as the latest 750 Harley is just slightly more powerful and heavier than the NC.
I'm sure Honda could have designed DCT with a belt final drive, but I don't haven't knowledge to know how difficult this would be.
BMW managed it with the F800 too, so I doubt it would have been too much of a struggle for Honda engineers. Its the only downside to the bike IMO. I am a little reluctant to go back to chain drive in some ways as I've never had much luck with scottoilers and hate messing about lubing chains.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Dunno about belt for Honda - could/should of been shaft like the old NTV's - wouldn't of been a great amount of extra weight

Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Post by Taipan »

XMax400Paul wrote:Dunno about belt for Honda - could/should of been shaft like the old NTV's - wouldn't of been a great amount of extra weight

I think it would have been criticised for that more than a belt. They did have the old shaft drive XL700 which I dont think was a great success for Honda back then so maybe it was a once bitten twice shy issue!

wozza
Benefactor
Current Ride: SEAT MO

Post by wozza »

Taipan wrote:
XMax400Paul wrote:Dunno about belt for Honda - could/should of been shaft like the old NTV's - wouldn't of been a great amount of extra weight

I think it would have been criticised for that more than a belt. They did have the old shaft drive XL700 which I dont think was a great success for Honda back then so maybe it was a once bitten twice shy issue!
The NC is already a heavy machine, I'm sure adding shaft would put extra weight on and be detrimental to both acceleration and fuel consumption.

I still think a belt would have been a good idea. I know for some reason BMW messed it up and had plenty of problems with their belt drive. Yet for Harley, belt drive has been very successful. When you think about it the NC is lightweight( in comparison with a Harley) and low revving which should make it ideal for belt drive....
SEAT MO

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I changed my NC700X for a Deauville, thinking that a shaft drive would be better, and so it is, however from what I've read I now need to check and re-grease the splines on the shaft drive when I change the rear tyre. Failing to do that could cause early wear and the replacement parts are expensive.
It should be a once only check, the main problem is where the shaft and gearbox meet. So no system is without problems.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i