Motorcycle theory test ran out (options)

Chat about any motorbike here.
newboy
Current Ride: Piaggio Xevo 125cc 2010

Motorcycle theory test ran out (options)

Post by newboy »

Hi all

I know that the Motorcycle theory test and CBT last for 2 years.

My theory test certificate ran out ( May 10th) 10 days ago, but I still have up to the (26th June) on my CBT test certificate.

(Probably should have took them closer together!)

My question is: do I have to legally stop riding; and what would happen if I got caught riding with an out of date theory test certificate?

(I was hoping to retake the CBT on the 26th and the theory on the 27th)

Regards
Paul

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Re: Motorcycle theory test ran out (options)

Post by poldark »

You don't need a theory test to ride a 125 on CBT.

By letting the theory test expire, before completing your Mod1/Mod2, it now just means you'll have to retake and pass another theory test if you want to take the test, lose the L plates and ride larger scoot/bike
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

newboy
Current Ride: Piaggio Xevo 125cc 2010

Post by newboy »

Thanks Poldark.

Now I remember why I did the theory. I originally wanted to get it all done with but failed my mod1 for not looking straight forward after the initial shoulder check when doing the U-turn. What a palaver that was.

I went into the office fully expecting a certificate as I had my mod 2 in a week or so after (I know too early but it was a mix up at their end and I was expecting to pass so accepted the date)

The thing is if you watch the official DSA mod1 test and others it shows the rider doing it without looking straight forward! but as below example. 4:12secs

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Shoulder checks -move off - right shoulder check and 45 deg approx head position following the bikes turn - come to stop within the marked area) and I did...
(Mirrors - Full shoulder check behind - move off - right shoulder check and 45 deg approx head position following bikes turn - Come to stop within the marked area)

So I presume that his training states the rider must make a full 12 O'clock head position after the right shoulder check and before the turn. So any one doing their CBT, bear this in mind at St Helens with the old b*stard (J.F.Doyle)...Hahaha!

I appealed his decision on the grounds of the official trailer and later that day asked for the CCTV footage, as I was now done over on my mod2 fee. Him and an old instructor of mine said they both watched the footage and I didn't look forward, which I wasn't concerned about as the official DSA video didn't require the test rider to do such. But my attempts at gaining the footage was futile even going through the proper channels. I was told after many emails through the DSA that the system was down, broke or unmanned on the day (Can't remember now) an absolute bleeding lie. I was refunded my mod2 test fee, but it left a fowl taste. Rant over...:-)

DougL
Global Moderator
Current Ride: R1200GS

Post by DougL »

I suspect that even though you failed on the U turn for reasons that seem unfair, the examiner probably failed you because he felt that your ride was not of the required standard. I'm not intending to say that you can't ride but test conditions do strange things to our nerves. Examiners are generally bikers and want you to pass, unless of course, you get a rogue examiner. Get some more practice in and go for it again - it's really worth it.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

It may sound like BS, but when I did my test I critised for the same (before Mod1/Mod2) so next time I exaggerated everything so it was plainly obvious what I was doing and passed
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

victor
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman Exec 650 K9

Post by victor »

funky you are correct if you remember in any transport test you have show instructor you doing your checks by exaggeration all most moves with head