Oil change Suzuki Burgman 125

g.brown227
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 125

Oil change Suzuki Burgman 125

Post by g.brown227 »

OK here it goes. I want to bite the bullet and change the oil on my baby burger. I am not technically experienced when it comes to scooters, but I am handy and think I can manage this. Can someone take me through it step by step so I feel a bit more confident about it?

Now here come the stupid questions?
  • How long (roughly) do I need to run the engine for to get the oil warm enough?
    How much oil is gonna come out when I take off the cap underneath? How big a container do I need?
    What sort of container is best to use?
    How do I dispose of my used oil in an ethical and safe way? Where can I take it? Is it going to cost me?
    What sort of oil do I need (I think I know, but what would you guys reccommend)? How much (i.e. what size bottle) do I need to buy?
    What tools am I going to need to do the job?
    Roughly how long is it going to take me (I have never done this before)?
    Am I going to have to do somehting with an oil filter? Not even sure if it's got one!
I have a service book, but no manual for it, so any pointers gratefully recieved.

Just assume I'm an idiot and really spell it out for me!

Cheers
As Ferris Bueller once said, "Remember, you got to stop and look around once in a while - or you might miss something."

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’, Edmund Burke, 1729-1797

Bob
Global Moderator
Current Ride: None

Re: Oil change Suzuki Burgman 125

Post by Bob »

g.brown227 wrote: How much oil is gonna come out when I take off the cap underneath? How big a container do I need?
Your Service handbook should tell you the amount of oil is in the bike My 400 had the capacity stamped near the filler.

Drain it initially into an old roasting dish sufficiently large enough

How do I dispose of my used oil in an ethical and safe way? Where can I take it? Is it going to cost me?
Take your used oil to your local recycling centre

What sort of oil do I need (I think I know, but what would you guys reccommend)? How much (i.e. what size bottle) do I need to buy?
Your Service handbook should tell you the amount of oil is in the bike My 400 had the capacity stamped near the filler. Handbook will also give the type of oil to use and what rating ie 10W/40

Am I going to have to do something with an oil filter? Not even sure if it's got one![/list]
If it has an oil filter it will require changing too
Also for more help and advice on Burgmans have a look at http://www.burgmanusa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; A great forum with lots of knowledgeable people
Honda Silverwing FJS600A7.

Previously owned: Burgman AN400K2, Piaggio X9 250sl Toxic Lemon, Honda Dylan. MZ250 and a Vespa 90 in the '70s

Cornishman in exile.

Muppet Map

Waspie
Current Ride: Silverwing

Re: Oil change Suzuki Burgman 125

Post by Waspie »

g.brown227 wrote:How much oil is gonna come out when I take off the cap underneath? How big a container do I need?

Cheers
I use and old 4 ltr plastic milk container to do my 400 Burger. The oil only has to be warm, not hot enough to melt plastic!

I cut a panel out of the side to accept the draining oil. The cap I retain as it makes for an easy life when I pour the drained oil into another recepticle to transport to the recycling centre as per Bobs post.

Simples. ;)
2009 Silverwing
2004 Burgman 400