New Xmax 300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

Re: New Xmax 300

Post by Red Dog »

I love my Burgman but I have to admit that this thread has caused me to look seriously at the xmax 300 as an eventual replacement.
I'll probably research it for two or three years before I decide anything, 1 because I'm cautious and 2 because I love researching things.

On paper, there is very little I can put in the minus column when I measure the Xmax against the Burger and these are countered by some considerable plusses.

Anyhoo..
I had a chance to sit on one yesterday and it felt really light and comfortable, not cramped as I had feared, in fact, my problem was when my bum was against the backstop on the seat, my hands seemed to be about 4" short of the handlebars.

I know the bars are adjustable but by how much would you say?

I'm also a bit worried about the keyless stuff. What if it goes wrong or fails when you're miles from anywhere, is there an emergency "proper" key you can use?

I have a Givi screen on my Burgman. I look through the top couple of inches. I can sit, visor up at any speed and I've come to love it. Has anyone fitted a Givi tall screen?

Any input appreciated.

Tom.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Don't know about the Xmax specifically, the Tmax Smart key system does have an emergency key. Snag is, it doesn't do a lot on its own, just opens the seat! However, it lets you perform an emergency procedure to start the scooter, though the snag is the procedure seems complex and error-prone, especially if you are stressed and trying to do it at the roadside! It involves inputting a code via flashing lights....
I believe the Honda smart key system on the X-ADV has something broadly similar, so I suspect that all these systems have emergency procedures, if not easy ones!

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

I had a 2010 Burger 400 I seem to remember the Berger having slightly more leg room and being a touch faster off the line,
don't think there was much in it, the Xmax is better on fuel by 20-30 mpg, and as better range, it is also more relaxed not
as revvy as the Burger, and more compact easy'r handle, corners better and the tyres last longer.
No problems with the key system once you get used to it, and there is a emergency start procedure but it is a little complicated
so needs printing out it works I tried it but other than that not had to use it in 2 years.
I have had 2 new discs under warranty on mine they had warped now around 13500 miles would have likely been over 18000 but
for covid but it only seems to affect a few bikes, the finish is better than the Burger sand and salt would dissolve the Burger,
It also has more ground clearance, I grounded the Burger a few times not managed that on the Xmax.
I am happy with mine and have no plans to change it.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

Post by Red Dog »

Thanks guys.

Does it cruise comfortably at ~75 or are you pushing it?

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Done Fylde coast to Scotland at those sort of speeds no problem,
but wile it will accelerate from those speeds it is not very spritely
especially up Shap, having said that the engine never feels stressed.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Red Dog wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:05 am Thanks guys.

My commute home from work was often on the M11 for about 5 miles or so. So I can say: comfortably. Whereas the Forza feels a little forced. Those few hp make all the difference.

It'll be interesting to find out how the Forza 350 compares.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

lenny
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by lenny »

StephenC wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:59 am
Red Dog wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:05 am Thanks guys.

My commute home from work was often on the M11 for about 5 miles or so. So I can say: comfortably. Whereas the Forza feels a little forced. Those few hp make all the difference.

It'll be interesting to find out how the Forza 350 compares.
Have seen a u tube video with unscientific roll-on tests between the xmax 300 and the 350, the extra hp does make a difference. As a previous owner of the xmax, looking for a change next year the Forza 350 is interesting.

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

The bars have about 2.5" of movement but all the ones I have seen have been set
back towards the rider from new
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

lenny
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by lenny »

Ralph wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:19 am The bars have about 2.5" of movement but all the ones I have seen have been set
back towards the rider from new
Mine wasn't, but that was in 2017

siete
Current Ride: 2006 XMAX 250

Post by siete »

Hi, I have ordered the Winter pack with my new XMAX 300, any recommendations? They offered the switch to the TUCANO (instead of the Yamaha apron) and to Oxford heating grips (instead of the Yamaha ones).

I believe that Tucano is pretty good (I had one since 2010) and I've read the Yamaha one it´s quite messy to put on and take out...

The Yamaha grips I've heard they're not warm enough. They say Oxford´s are much better. I like the Yamaha setup but would like to confirm they are warm enough for London's weather.

Any help is much appreciated

BTW, the winter pack comes with battery charger and battery indicator, anyone has it?

Many thanks