X-ADV and me
Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:51 pm
Thought I`d do a little write up on my own impression of the Honda X-ADV. But first a little background. At 64 years young and starting to think I`d missed out on the midlife crises scenario, I decided to get myself a little runabout, just to break me in gently to the idea of using a mobility scooter, after 64 its all downhill, right? Well with the big numbers came a few other anomalies like Rheumatoid Arthritis, blood pressure, piles, but by far the worst an abundance of digestive gasses. The gentle drift into degradation that my body had taken, pretty much dictated what my penis substitute was likely to be! Yup a scoot! A Honda Forza 300, I didn’t have to waggle my ankles about or stamp on levers to make the thing move, and it had a nice wide lounge area for my slightly less muscular butt. When I wanted to move I twisted the handle thingy and it went , to stop I just had to drag my feet along the ground……great!
I enjoyed the Forza for a couple of thousand miles, doing quite a few long runs with my pillion, it really was the most enjoyable thing since Izal toilet paper was banned! Anyway the Forza was due various services etc and on one of these occasions I happened to be dribbling over the bikes in the dealership showroom when I made the mistake of putting a hand on the saddle of an X-ADV, within the time it takes a fly to fart, I had a new friend! “we`ve got a good deal on that one†Now being a polite nice sort of guy, I let the young chap (who incidentally had the tenacious manner of a Jack Russell on a promise) tell me all the wonderful and magical things the X-ADV could do. Well its pointless drawing the story out, the short of it is, I tried it, I got a little damp, and I got a good deal.
In truth I had been looking for something with a little more uummph! The thought being to do some touring next year, Mrs pillion was happy cos her assets were cosseted by the adequate lounge area `up back` and I was happy cos I could load the scoot with loads of gizmos, top and side boxes, and fully loaded it would still pull a sheep from a muddy ditch.
The X-ADV is an oddity, and it seems most who review it, cant make up their minds `is it a scooter or a bike? Is it twist and go? Was it designed by someone with a grudge?' Well if you’ve an interest in the machine, you probably have read most of the reviews and know just what’s available in the package. Its got a lot of everything, which it does very well, it is unconventional to the UK pallet. However, if like me, when choosing a puppy, you pick the one with three legs! Then boy are you going to have some fun! When your at the lights, beside one of those American `re engineered bricks` and the ground is shaking to the sound of the poorly designed 405deg firing sequence, smile mockingly at the father Christmas beard because he deserves it for not being adventurous! And then smoothly, with dignity, accelerate away in the knowledge that being stuck in the past is not a virtue.
Although the scooter is relatively new to our shores the Europeans have been playing with this this for some time, even using it for rally`s in which it has achieve many accolades.
There`s a thriving industry in aftermarket parts and bling. Should you ever get round to the `Grand Tour` the chances are this scooter will spend less time on its side than the Grandeurs 1000+ cc enduro monsters favoured by film stars and jobbing actors. It is heavy! (for a scooter) but what reviewers seem to miss when complaining about the weight, is that the weight is so low that it is a big plus. After all the centrifuge velocity of a Penny Farthing contributed to a spectacular lack of willing riders. I suspect had the ADV been around at the same time, humans would have evolved missing out the `Hipster` facial hair and ancillary grooming equipment and arrived directly at the vaguely balding 64 year old `wannabe 18 again` (me) .
This scooter is different, too different for most, but that’s what will makes it special.
If you get a chance try it! Kick out those fears of being different, but mostly kick out those desires to be “the same.â€
Gary
I enjoyed the Forza for a couple of thousand miles, doing quite a few long runs with my pillion, it really was the most enjoyable thing since Izal toilet paper was banned! Anyway the Forza was due various services etc and on one of these occasions I happened to be dribbling over the bikes in the dealership showroom when I made the mistake of putting a hand on the saddle of an X-ADV, within the time it takes a fly to fart, I had a new friend! “we`ve got a good deal on that one†Now being a polite nice sort of guy, I let the young chap (who incidentally had the tenacious manner of a Jack Russell on a promise) tell me all the wonderful and magical things the X-ADV could do. Well its pointless drawing the story out, the short of it is, I tried it, I got a little damp, and I got a good deal.
In truth I had been looking for something with a little more uummph! The thought being to do some touring next year, Mrs pillion was happy cos her assets were cosseted by the adequate lounge area `up back` and I was happy cos I could load the scoot with loads of gizmos, top and side boxes, and fully loaded it would still pull a sheep from a muddy ditch.
The X-ADV is an oddity, and it seems most who review it, cant make up their minds `is it a scooter or a bike? Is it twist and go? Was it designed by someone with a grudge?' Well if you’ve an interest in the machine, you probably have read most of the reviews and know just what’s available in the package. Its got a lot of everything, which it does very well, it is unconventional to the UK pallet. However, if like me, when choosing a puppy, you pick the one with three legs! Then boy are you going to have some fun! When your at the lights, beside one of those American `re engineered bricks` and the ground is shaking to the sound of the poorly designed 405deg firing sequence, smile mockingly at the father Christmas beard because he deserves it for not being adventurous! And then smoothly, with dignity, accelerate away in the knowledge that being stuck in the past is not a virtue.
Although the scooter is relatively new to our shores the Europeans have been playing with this this for some time, even using it for rally`s in which it has achieve many accolades.
There`s a thriving industry in aftermarket parts and bling. Should you ever get round to the `Grand Tour` the chances are this scooter will spend less time on its side than the Grandeurs 1000+ cc enduro monsters favoured by film stars and jobbing actors. It is heavy! (for a scooter) but what reviewers seem to miss when complaining about the weight, is that the weight is so low that it is a big plus. After all the centrifuge velocity of a Penny Farthing contributed to a spectacular lack of willing riders. I suspect had the ADV been around at the same time, humans would have evolved missing out the `Hipster` facial hair and ancillary grooming equipment and arrived directly at the vaguely balding 64 year old `wannabe 18 again` (me) .
This scooter is different, too different for most, but that’s what will makes it special.
If you get a chance try it! Kick out those fears of being different, but mostly kick out those desires to be “the same.â€
Gary