Page 1 of 2
Scooters on the market
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:35 am
by MK19
It's been a long time since i posted in this forum, even to the point that I'd forgotten all about it until I noticed a bookmark to the site a few days ago!
I'm currently on my 2nd Honda Silverwing 600. I'll have had it 5 years in September. I feel it's time to change it, but I see that Honda no longer make the Silverwing, and Suzuki no longer make the Burgman 650. What other maxi's are there with a similar engine size? I'd also like similar 'boot' space under the seat.
Re: Scooters on the market
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:08 am
by MrGrumpy
Well, the Tmax is still going strong, now in its 7th version (560cc)! BMW have the C650S and GT (and they have a 400 as well). Kymco have the AK550 if you can find a dealer, and Sym are selling big maxis as well, although its never clear exactly what the Sym importer are importing
Re: Scooters on the market
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:03 pm
by Funkycowie
Or you could go up a little for the Honda Integra 750 but it only has Helmet space in it's current revision.
Re: Scooters on the market
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:06 pm
by StephenC
I doubt the choice will get much better for a while to come yet either!
Not only do we have the pandemic screwing up production and development but we'll almost certainly be seeing some disruption to imports leading up to, and then more so into, the new year. A gov campaign on the latter kicks off next week and will say more.
Re: Scooters on the market
Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:35 pm
by Sylar
I also on my second Silverwing600, having done 40000mls on the first and 43000 on this one. I bought a Cruisym300 two years ago, and at 23000 km on it. If you are looking to downsize I would recommend looking at one. Iam getting on a bit now, and the Silver wing is too heavy to move around, apart from electrical problems that have started on it. The Cruisym will happily cruise all day at sixty m.p.h. and I get ninety m.p.g.
Re: Scooters on the market
Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:51 pm
by MK19
Thanks for the replies. I did look at the Integra, but like you say, limited luggage space. I did also look at the BMW, but I feel they are just a tad expensive. Don't really want to downsize too much, maybe I'll take a look at the Tmax, or failing that keep the one I have for a little longer.
Re: Scooters on the market
Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:39 am
by Rocketman122
Silverwing and tmax are miles apart. If youre used to the luxury of the sw the tmax is not the same. Not quality wise but the whole bike is made for performance. Very little storage vs the sw. Pillion ride is not as comfortable. The sw does cruising and comfort very well. But its no slouch in performance
Consider looking at the kymco ak550 if youre considering the tmax
Re: Scooters on the market
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:38 pm
by avalon27
Maxsym 600i is not bad, had one for 15 months now (Had Silverwing and Burgers 400 and 650 in past) it is not quite same BHP as Silverwing - but is a little lighter overall and being a big single feels nice and torquey - decent storage. I picked up my 2016 (66) model for £3k with under 3000 milkes on.
Re: Scooters on the market
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:13 am
by Rocketman122
@avalon27
Wanted to ask regarding ur maxsym wnd if you do your own maintenance?
How many miles would you say tgat engine can do (roughly) before you consider it tired or to think of a replacement? Some have said around 55000miles. Is that really possible? This is a taiwanese bike. I dont know how durable or reliable they are
Re: Scooters on the market
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:26 am
by muddyfox
Rocketman you state "This is a taiwanese bike. I dont know how durable or reliable they are"
Taiwanese engineering is as good as anyone's. Sym manufactured the engine in the early Honda Civic.
Before retirement I had a Sym Shark 125 for commuting purposes. It had close to 34,000 miles on it when I sold it. That Sym lived outside for 4 year's often without a cover on. It never once failed to start and get me to and from work.