Page 1 of 1
Burgman 400 Niggles
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:13 pm
by meldrew
Recently bought an early Burgman 400, and more than pleased with it. My only niggles are 1. It is difficult to read the speedo as it is shadowed by the peak over it that cuts off daylight, even with the instrument panel lit it is still not easily visible daytime.
2. The top edge of the windscreen is directly in my line of vision, not helped by the beading on it, It either needs a taller screen or I can trim the height down by aprox. 1 inch.
Anyone else had these niggles or overcome them?
Re: Burgman 400 Niggles
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:23 pm
by Deleted User 4154
Back when I had a '99 Burgman I cut 2" off the Givi screen with a hacksaw as I couldn't see over it. I measured up, stuck masking tape on and drew my lines on that. I polished the cut edge with fine wet and dry, and the end result was that you'd never know I'd been there!
Re: Burgman 400 Niggles
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:31 pm
by Red Dog
I fitted the tall Givi screen and I look through it. Best thing I ever did.
Re: Burgman 400 Niggles
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:31 pm
by Stibbs
You could buy a givi airflow? These screens are height adjustable and also protect the hands. I have one on mine and it’s the best accessory I’ve added. They’re around £140ish
Re: Burgman 400 Niggles
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:06 pm
by Red Dog
Stibbs wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:31 pm
You could buy a givi airflow? These screens are height adjustable and also protect the hands. I have one on mine and it’s the best accessory I’ve added. They’re around £140ish
Hello Mr Stibbs, thanks for your reply.
I'm a member of another forum (Nothing to do with scooters or anything mechanical) and you can wait for months for a reply on there.
A few weeks after I fitted the Givi tall I parked my Burger facing down hill and stupidly forgot to apply the Handbrake. Upon returning from my excellent Weatherspoons lunch, (No affiliation) I found my bike had rolled off the stand and fallen over, breaking my lovely windscreen.
As a replacement I thought I would try the airflow. I found it to be a truly excellent screen and a vast improvement over the manufacturers original short screen, but I had grown so used to the totally wind free environment of the tall screen so I returned the airflow and fitted another tall.
Re: Burgman 400 Niggles
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:30 pm
by MrGrumpy
But isn't a tall screen a real hassle in rain or even the dark? I'd really like to be able to see over the screen.
Screens can be pretty easily cut down - even I managed it once! I'm told that if you use something like an electric saw that generates a bit of heat, then the screen can weld itself back together behind the cut, leaving you baffled & thinking you might be losing your mind!
Re: Burgman 400 Niggles
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:43 pm
by Red Dog
Hi Mr G.
I don't find the rain or the dark a problem, that said, heavy rain and the dark together can be a bit dodgy but the same is true for a visor. OK, you can lift your visor if you need to but by the same token I can ease myself up and look over the screen.
I keep a small inflatable cushion under the seat for when it's really bad, it raises me up just enough.
Re: Burgman 400 Niggles
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:07 am
by Rocketman122
2. The top edge of the windscreen is directly in my line of vision, not helped by the beading on it, It either needs a taller screen or I can trim the height down by aprox. 1 inch
If you have the skill and tools you can do it. Pain the behind that curved lip part of the oem screen
Or use a gel/cushion for your bottom
Im like grumpy and prefer looking over. If i sit good posture i look right over and if i want, i slide my body froward, legs higher up on the platform and in the rain can get a little "tuck" protection. Ik 183cm
Re: Burgman 400 Niggles
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:54 pm
by dogwheel
My 2005 (K5) Burgman 400, came with a Givi tall screen which, although I'm 6'2", I had to look through, not good at night in the rain!
I masked the top 4" of the screen, carefully measured and marked a new (curved) line on the masking tape, then again very carefully, sawed 3" off using a fine toothed blade in my jigsaw, then polished the edge with fine wet'n'dry. All good but a bit draughty around the helmet, so I added a PUIG Clamp-on adjustable deflector to the shortened screen, I'm really happy with that combination (been using it regularly for 5 years). I can now choose to look through or over by means of a simple (no tools needed) adjustment.
Incidentally, the O.E.screen and it's fittings changed after that model!
ps, my bike fell over and broke the Givi screen, bought another and meanwhile, did a temporary repair to the old one with SuperGlue, 3 years ago; the new one is still in it's box in the loft!
Cheers,
Robin.
Re: Burgman 400 Niggles
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:58 pm
by Rocketman122
Wow. Careful with that glued one.. It can fly off and be a liability. If it was me i wouod at the least weld the crack with a soldering iron and then add a strip of fiberglass weave and glue it down with a nice coating of 2 part plastic epoxy. Im shocked crazy glue has held because over time it will fail with being subject to the nevironment. Rain hot/cold. It can fly at your face or hit someone behind. Careful