Kymco AK550 nearing end of warranty
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:25 am
The AK550 is now nearly two years old and although I have no problems as such I thought I should chase up the known issues before the warranty runs out. So I went back to the supplying dealer and sure enough there were three required fixes in the system which they had not made any attempt to contact me about.
One of them concerned the final drive with some changes to the belt and pulley alignment and some sort of modification to the front pulley. I had noticed a sort of twittering at low speeds so hopefully this won't come back.
The second is a change to the tyre pressure monitoring which reduces the frequency of communication with the sensors, presumably to reduce battery consumption in some way.
The third is an additional relay for the headlights plus some sort of electronics which doesn't switch them on until the engine is running. This required a major new section of wiring loom and it took two attempts by the dealer to get it working correctly. I had already replaced the battery and fitted a charging lead for an Optimate so I hope this will prolong its life and reduce the need for fortnightly charging during the winter months.
All the above were carried out free of charge which is certainly a good point for Kymco's customer support although it would have been better if they had contacted me because without forums such as this I wouldn't have known about them. I have now obtained a workshop manual and a wiring diagram via the internet so I feel much happier about keeping everything in good order. Final drive belt tensioning may still be a headache because the approved tool for doing this acoustically costs well over £500. But I do have readings from a simple spring type load/deflection tool so I can maintain it at the original tension.
It remains a great machine to ride and if they offered an updated version thats a bit lighter and has a more sensible fuel gauge or fuel range instrument I would buy it in a flash. Even better would be a hybrid version but it seems that hybrid scooters are still a pipe dream.
One of them concerned the final drive with some changes to the belt and pulley alignment and some sort of modification to the front pulley. I had noticed a sort of twittering at low speeds so hopefully this won't come back.
The second is a change to the tyre pressure monitoring which reduces the frequency of communication with the sensors, presumably to reduce battery consumption in some way.
The third is an additional relay for the headlights plus some sort of electronics which doesn't switch them on until the engine is running. This required a major new section of wiring loom and it took two attempts by the dealer to get it working correctly. I had already replaced the battery and fitted a charging lead for an Optimate so I hope this will prolong its life and reduce the need for fortnightly charging during the winter months.
All the above were carried out free of charge which is certainly a good point for Kymco's customer support although it would have been better if they had contacted me because without forums such as this I wouldn't have known about them. I have now obtained a workshop manual and a wiring diagram via the internet so I feel much happier about keeping everything in good order. Final drive belt tensioning may still be a headache because the approved tool for doing this acoustically costs well over £500. But I do have readings from a simple spring type load/deflection tool so I can maintain it at the original tension.
It remains a great machine to ride and if they offered an updated version thats a bit lighter and has a more sensible fuel gauge or fuel range instrument I would buy it in a flash. Even better would be a hybrid version but it seems that hybrid scooters are still a pipe dream.