Electric 'Moped'

For members who own little scooters.
Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Electric 'Moped'

Post by Waldorf »

I have it in mind to buy an electric moped.

I've done a fair amount of research and the one I've posted the link to seems to be the best both for my needs and in the opinion of the reviewers; there are several reviews on Youtube.

The walk down to the sea and the town is fine but the 25-minute walk back is all up hill and I struggle!

I definitely don't want to get rid of the Silverwing - I still love it - but it's impractical for nipping down to the sea-front. I can take the car but the short journeys don't do it any good, nor the Silverwing for that matter.

I have managed to get a reasonable-ish insurance quote for it.

The reviewer remarks on the lack of storage-space; a Shad rack is available and I'd have one fitted.

Thoughts in general, please, and what colour shall I get?

https://urbanebikes.com/collections/niu ... 4703803415

A review here:
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Dogsbody
Current Ride: Burgman 400 Honda C125 400-4

Re: Electric 'Moped'

Post by Dogsbody »

For that sort of distance what about an electric push bike ? No insurance cost and cheaper. Benefit of putting in the car when you go further afield.

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

I have an electric-assist bike but even that's a struggle over an uphill mile.
Thanks for the thought, though.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

Fit a bigger motor in it, 250w no good for blokes going up hills on heavy bikes and then own weight and whatever luggage carried, legal or not i am going to buy or build my own bike next year with a 750/1000w motor, wont be riding like an idiot just want to cruise round a good distance and not be worried i cannot get up hills for miles round and be able to pedal up to safe road speeds from tin box riders.
Dezzie

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

It has a 3000w motor:

'Niu's German partner BOSCH has provided a specially tailored motor with a nominal power output of 3000w. Get instantaneous acceleration from a standstill.'
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

I’ve had one of these for over two years. I cannot fault it. Pedal assist electric. Steep hills are no problem, quality build and excellent service. Use it every time I pop into town with a pannier beg system fitted to the rack, plenty of storage and a built in lock. Definitely recommend icon_thumbs_up.gif
https://voltbikes.co.uk/e-bikes/hybrid/pulse

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

As I said, I have an electric-assist bike and it no longer suits my needs.
I'm pleased yours does.

My Kalkhoff is similar to this one. I've had mine for several years and it is no longer available:

https://www.the-ebikestore.co.uk/electr ... ery-p10332
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

bikerdezzie wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:39 pm Fit a bigger motor in it, 250w no good for blokes going up hills on heavy bikes and then own weight and whatever luggage carried, legal or not i am going to buy or build my own bike next year with a 750/1000w motor, wont be riding like an idiot just want to cruise round a good distance and not be worried i cannot get up hills for miles round and be able to pedal up to safe road speeds from tin box riders.
Have a look around this forum
www.pedelecs.co.uk
Serveral members from Maxi Muppets on there.
Big motors require very big heavy batteries and produce very little torque so it may not defeat those hills as easily as you anticipate.
Cheers.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Thanks for the forum link which I have joined, I'm considering a replacement for my Innova which will be a hard act to follow. I have a Argos special shopper bike, brought for Linda to help exercising her new stiff knee joint, but she has given up, it is what it is. Wonder if I could upgrade that or build a new mountain bike with some power.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

Please feel free to discuss electric-assist bikes, one of which I have, as I said.
I said also that it no longer suits my needs.

Based on expert reviews, not speculation or negativity, I have ordered one of the mopeds about which I asked in vain for opinions and thoughts.
It will be delivered within the next two weeks. ;)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano