24th May 2021 - North East ride out

This is the place to organize a meet or tell us about a forthcoming show
steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

24th May 2021 - North East ride out

Post by steve_h80 »

I'm arranging another ride out through the faceache maxi scooter group (am I allowed to say that?), but it's open to anyone else who fancies a ride out.
Meet up at Hardwick Country Park carpark Monday 24th May, we'll be leaving at11:00am.
The ride will be about 100 miles, there will be a multitude of coffee and cakes stops. Whether we head north, west or south will depend on the weather and my inclination on the day.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Re: 24th May 2021 - North East ride out

Post by Waldorf »

Count me in, please, Steve.

I'm very happy to follow, even over roads we've travelled before; your rideouts are good!
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

hatter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH 300

Post by hatter »

Yes please.
Hatter

steve_h80

Re: 31st May 2021 - North East ride out

Post by steve_h80 »

If anyone was planning to attend I've changed to date, it's now the 31st, Bank Holiday Monday. Hopefully this will avoid the cloud, rain, gales and Arctic conditions!

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

It's on my calendar, Steve.

Thank you.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

Here's a report:
Thanks once again to Steve H for organising a wonderful Ride over the hills and far away on Bank Holiday Monday! This time we scaled the dizzy heights of the Northern Pennines, taking in lovely towns and villages and making good progress in spite of the inevitable heavier holiday traffic.
Steve, Chris and I met at the usual starting-place, Hardwick Park, which is near Sedgefield Race-Course for them as don’t know the area, and set off a little later than the 11.00. time we usually follow.
I haven’t a clue which direction we took, except that Steve mentioned we’d head North to avoid some of the tourist hotspots down Yorkshire way but, suffice it to say, we followed mostly very pleasant roads – some very minor, some quite major – with great views of beautiful countryside. The weather was perfect for riding: it’s always difficult to get the balance between being cool in hot sunshine and warm when travelling at speed (wind-chill is a factor even in all but the hottest weather). I risked single-layer jacket, sports shirt and sleeveless pullover on top but still had the thermals under my trousers. It proved just right although in the wind and lower temperatures on the tops of the hills it was only just enough. We could see the mist - low cloud, even – in the far distance.
I really can’t remember all the places we passed: Derwent Water, Stanhope, Crawleyside are just three names that I do remember.
We stopped for lunch in Blanchland. The café was perfect and we had only to queue for ten minutes or so before we were seated. After a leisurely lunch we visited Blanchland Abbey, the most beautiful church, part of the greater abbey and on the grounds of which were built the village. The abbey, like so many, was closed during the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the time of Henry VIII. It’s one of those places which retains tranquillity even when there are lots of people and traffic about. I know Steve had it in mind to visit there as he knows of my interest in churches.
After that stop we rode on, again topping the Pennines, with a view to stopping again for tea. Of course, everywhere was busy so we rode on, very much up hill and down dale – I think I did more steep hairpin bends then than I have done previously in all my Rides put together! – and arrived at what I thought was a very out-of-the-way quiet café which proved to be Steve’s house! Chris and I were entertained right royally to tea and real cake, sitting out on the terrace in the sunshine, putting the world to rights.
After quite some time, Steve kindly mounted up and led us to Bishop Auckland, a 30-minute ride away, so that Chris and I could head home up the A1(M) and branch off when the signs were right.

I was totally creamed, having been out for nearly nine hours and covered 140 miles of pleasant but, in places, challenging riding.
Many thanks again to Steve as well as to Chris who is a great riding companion and now friend.
I look forward eagerly to the next one.

Google 'Blanchland' for more information; I shall go there again.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano

Deleted User 18446

Post by Deleted User 18446 »

Good to see people getting out together well done .

hatter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH 300

Post by hatter »

Twas indeed a grand day out in the Durham Dales. Riding in a group has a different dynamic to Solo riding even if you are familiar with the roads. Also the social side is significant especially after the last year- we certainly had plenty to chat about lol!
Hatter

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

I meant to say earlier: the report was for general consumption and I posted it on Facebook for the benefit of friends, most of whom don't ride any form of motorcycle. I realise everyone here knows about how to dress appropriately!
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano

steve_h80

Post by steve_h80 »

One must dress appropriately, I was wearing gortex sandals in case it rained 🙂