Mash Up?

Chat about any motorbike here.
roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Mash Up?

Post by roadster »

A recent short illness which left me with a weakened ankle persuaded me that my days of running a big modern Triumph put a severe limitation on how often and how far I could ride. So the Triumph has gone to be replaced by this French/Chinese Honda. Click these pictures to get the full quality images.
DSCF2530.jpg
DSCF2532.jpg
Its a Mash Scrambler 400 made by the Chinese Shineray company but styled and marketed by Mash. The engine is based on the Honda radial four valve single which was used in the Honda XL500 and XBR500 back in the seventies and eighties. Capacity is reduced to 400cc and electric start and fuel injection bring it to (more or less!) Euro 4 standard. First impressions are that it is an enjoyable ride with some scope for improvement in some areas starting with the brakes which feel like the pads are made out of wood. Its a low revving engine although significant power ( if you can call 27HP significant ) starts at 4000 rpm and probably ends at 7000. Although actual performance will be unknown till I have run it in. Quality is a curates egg with some things such as alloy rims looking really smart but lots of poor quality in areas such as electrical wiring.

Its so rewarding to ride something which can be taken to its limits at modest speed and really needs the gearbox to be used properly to make progress. If it blows up over the coming months I'll be sure to report back.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Re: Mash Up?

Post by horobags »

nice!! I think the chinese bikes are improving, recently looked at a Benelli Imperiale which I was really impressed with. If they are looked after I think they will be good value and reliable.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Reminds me of the old CCM SR40 but is no worse for that.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

iansoady
Current Ride: X-Max 250 + Norton ES2

Post by iansoady »

I had a test ride on a Mash a few years ago and was quite impressed. I'd definitely consider one in the future.

roadster
Benefactor

Post by roadster »

iansoady wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:35 am I had a test ride on a Mash a few years ago and was quite impressed. I'd definitely consider one in the future.
It is almost an ES2 with an electric start and fuel injection. Arguably also better brakes and ABS but until I can get some decent pads in the jury is out on that. Some would also point out that there won't be any still running after 60 years though.
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Nice bikes these. I like that they don't weigh much and seem manageable. I had a shufty at one a few years ago, they sold them at the dealer I git my GTS from, it looked wel screwed together.

iansoady
Current Ride: X-Max 250 + Norton ES2

Post by iansoady »

Not quite an ES2 as the engine charactersitics are very different and need different riding techniques but still an attractive machine. They're starting to trickle through into the used market now.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

iansoady wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:28 am Not quite an ES2 as the engine charactersitics are very different and need different riding techniques but still an attractive machine. They're starting to trickle through into the used market now.
Yes, they are very good value! https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-detai ... 500&page=1

steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by steve_h80 »

Those old (new?) air cooled singles look gorgeous.
I must admit I could be swayed by the Mash X-Ride 650....

roadster
Benefactor

Re: Mash Up? An update.

Post by roadster »

When I started this post I knew that improvements had to be made to the Mash. The most important was to improve the very wooden front brake. I just couldn't get enough lever pressure to use full stopping power. Part of the reason is that my relatively short fingers which used to be very strong are now much weaker. But also the free travel on the non-adjustable lever is very short because the master cylinder has a larger displacement than is justified by the single calliper, so it has less travel and less mechanical advantage. The solution was to find a dog leg lever and modify it to provide a sensible reach for my hand. In addition I fitted decent EBC HH pads. The pads were noisy at first but they quietened down once bedded in.

I have also changed the silencer for one which provides enough clearance for a paddock stand. The oil pipes to the separate oil tank run under the engine so a centre stand cannot be fitted and there is nowhere to use as a safe lifting point underneath. Another safety matter was to fit a new front tyre. The Chinese branded one had sat in a showroom for at least a year and the fact that it had been fitted the wrong way round ( compared to an outwardly identical Pirelli ) didn't inspire any confidence. I have also replaced the battery which had been neglected while in storage. One feature which wasn't carried over from the original Honda design is the automatic decompressor so the relatively high compression single needs a perfect battery for the electric starter.

I am now very pleased with the bike on the road. It is most happy at 50 to 60 mph and the engine is very flexible and predictable. The fuel injection is faultless and fuel consumption very low. The five speed gearbox has widely spaced ratios and fifth gear is mostly for speeds over 50mph. Its quite happy to hit peak power rpm on dual carriageways and 6000 to 7000 rpm gives outside lane performance although that's not particularly comfortable without a screen or fairing. Riding something like this with an old fashioned feel and sound and only just enough power is most rewarding.