E10 fuel consumption

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Re: E10 fuel consumption

Post by Data »

Ok, so I've covered 336 miles in the last few days. The first 148 miles used 97 octane E5 BP fuel. I had brimmed the tank & this 97 octane gave me 89.9mpg, worked out after another refill with 95 octane E10. Running very much the same roads, traffic conditions & speeds the E10 gave me 88mpg. Very unscientifically carried out but the results are very much what I always get, except when it's very cold in winter where my results on E5 in previous years gave me around 85-86mpg. I'm not expecting E10 to alter that by much when the very cold weather arrives. We'll see eh! :roll:

Riding WOT, not something I do very often, drops those figures of course. But a steady 60-65mph produces amazing economy. Gotta love these bikes eh!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Interesting Data, maybe I'll try a tank of the super dooper E5 petrol. Oh, it's more expensive, maybe not then. Yes the GTS is an amazing scooter, always willing and very able.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Funnily enough the 97 octane BP was pretty much the same price as the E10 when I went to get it. I only filled with it as I thought my bike was going to be standing for at least 5-6 weeks in the garage after me having surgery on my back. However, my consultant has given me a bit more time before having the surgery, and he wants another mri, so I went straight ahead and jumped on the bike (carefully of course) and burned it up. Had some advocacy work to catch up on.

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

Surgery, the joys of old age eh! I'm waiting for an endoscopy, fun times ahead lol

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yep, fun times! :lol:

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Fun times my a.se, - went in to hospital on my birthday this year (24th October) with pains in the chest and back and unable to walk more than about 10’, spent 10 days in there at the end having a CT scan which confirmed I could have no more stents (9 already) and those that are in have become mostly blocked, consultant had been thinking about repair/replacement of heart valves but scan dictated otherwise so no Papworth.
After 10 days came out feeling worse than I went in and pretty well unable to move about, the car being certainly OUT of Question. Still feel rotten and immobile and dependent upon others - except there are none!

84 is NOT A GOOD AGE! ....... But ‘FANTA’s not so bad.
PS: Packed up smoking after 1st h/a in 2014 then 2nd in 2016, Will Never smoke again!

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

Wow 9 stents, that's some record Jimo. I hopefully have stopped at the 1. But you have 21 years on me, so I'd better not count my chickens.....

Deleted User 1756

Post by Deleted User 1756 »

MPG, well after being told it was the weather and winter fuel (Data)I decided to do a test and take out the ethanol from the petrol I had bought in cans and ad it to my wifes car.I put in around 32ltrs which brimmed up the tank which had around 8 ltrs left in it.Off she went to work and done 212 miles before I brimmed it up again with 18.2 ltrs which equates to 52.95 mpg.No one will convince me that ethenol makes no difference to fuel economy,lets stop bending over and taking it and face facts,ethanol has less calorific value around 90000 btu per gallon where petrol has around 140000 btu per gallon and diesel 155000 btu per gallon so ethanol will not be as productive thus equating to less mpg. PS, its still warm here.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I just refilled the Tmax mk6 and got 57mpg, which is exactly in line with its normal pre E10 figure, even given that its now autumn and cooler.

Deleted User 1756

Post by Deleted User 1756 »

I think you will find the lighter the vehicle the less effect E10 will have on mpg but it will make a difference as it creates less bang for your buck.If a vehicle looses 3mpg per ton at 50mpg then your Tmax will loose about 1 mpg as it weighs about a 220kg,measure it over time and you will see the change in mpg,its a maths thing you can calculate if you have and input all of the information pertaining to your vehicle and fuel mix,I am no expert but know that if you replace 10% of your petrol with Ethanol then you have lost 5% of the output or your fuel so this must and does result in a mpg loss.