dropping exhaust valves 1999 400

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Dogsbody
Current Ride: Burgman 400 Honda C125 400-4

Re: dropping exhaust valves 1999 400

Post by Dogsbody »

You say it is running a stainless downpipe, what is the silencer, original or aftermarket?

Old scooterist
Current Ride: Suzuki An400X

Post by Old scooterist »

It is a OEM pre sensor, I had to change the angle of the flange to make it fit and a modification of the hanger but fits OK, I had three AN400X ones and they all fell apart inside, a really rubbish unit and nearly 400 quid a go Suzuki should be ashamed of themselves.
Plastic scooters are rubbish, including mine. Lambretta SX200 was the ultimate. never bettered.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

New silencers on the 2012's onwards are just under £1000 a piece but they do have a proper 3 way CAT in them. £400 is still quite a bit of money though. Shame I let my Burgman carbs that I had collected all go. You could have had one of those as they all had very little mileage on them and I'd stored them for years after carefully lubing them. No wonder I got a fortune for them when I sold them a couple of years ago. I did notice some stuff on ebay that looked new but you'd need to investigate further on that.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Old scooterist

Post by Old scooterist »

Cleaned and fettled the carb and it ran straight away on a new battery but when I tried to start it again there was a noise, a wizzzz and jammed at TDC, so off with the head again, lucky it was not actually running so hopefully no major damage.
Plastic scooters are rubbish, including mine. Lambretta SX200 was the ultimate. never bettered.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

This is indeed very concerning. Something fundamentally is wrong here. You need to be looking at how the motor was setup. Not that you need advice I'm sure, but this is far from normal and makes me think that you've missed something. Burgman engines of any age don't go wrong easily. Sounds like a valve timing gear mishap. Worn or very slack timing chains can also cause this issue. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Old scooterist

Post by Old scooterist »

Found the problem!! rasta_.gif

After thinking it was in the head like a valve problem I pulled the head, nothing, then the cylinder, perfect so checked the variator, nothing there so off with the right side case and alternator, still nothing until I removed the flywheel and there it was. icon_shit.gif The 46mm nut holding the cam sprocket on had come loose and was jamming the 'star' gear of the balance shaft and cam chain. I had to make a 'special 8mm socket holding tool' to get the upper most bolt out but it worked. Woodruff key was damaged also. Off to CMS for the key and a cam lock tab.

Only problem now is getting a 46mm socket long enough without paying $300 for the Suzuki one. Thought of getting a cheap ($29) one and welding an old 21mm plug spanner to it. I will probably only use it once, bit like the VW flywheel locking tool I have amongst many others tools I 'had' to buy.

Old scooterist

Post by Old scooterist »

Bought a cheap Draper 46mm long socket on Amazon and will weld an old 21mm plug socket to it for length. Plenty of loktite this time.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Did wonder if a keyway somewhere had sheared. At least you found the issue.

Old scooterist

Post by Old scooterist »

I will have to spend a lot of time fettling the 46mm Draper socket I bought as the wall too too thick to fit inside the gear and the 1" square is too small for the crankshaft taper but all doable, I found am old 1/2" 21mm plug socket to weld on the end but think maybe weld a heavy bar on it and make a lump spanner of it. Long as that bloody nut gets up TIGHT!

Old scooterist

Post by Old scooterist »

The 46mm socket bodge job worked a treat and everything is up tight with a load of Loctite as well.
Head on subject to tourqu and alternator case on.
Found a small spring and do not know where it goes. about 25mm long with a coil 4mm from one end and a hook either end. ??? No, I didn't take a photo.

Need to wrap te water hose where it passes over the exhaust pipe, but I can't find a part number in the EPC 1999.