BMW CE 04 review

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Re: BMW CE 04 review

Post by roadster »

Data wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:42 pm Those bikes are coming Stephen. According to a couple of industry techie ex-colleagues, it's highly probable that in 2-3 yrs bikes with an 80mph top speed and a range of around 150 miles will be appearing using enhanced battery technology. Shortly after that bikes with even faster speeds and much higher ranges will be on sale. The other good thing will be the incredibly fast charging times. Even new sodium-ion batteries will fully charge in the time range of 15-30 mins depending on size. Then in around 4-5yrs from now charging times will be counted in just 2 to 8 minutes, again depending on size. Quite excited!
The holy grail of electrical storage! Its not unlike nuclear fusion its been just around the corner for decades! Unfortunately (for me) I will undoubtedly be dead before these miracles are delivered and I'm hoping that won't be any time soon! And while we're speculating add travel outside of the solar system to the list. It makes great fiction but its not going to happen.

Incidentally the electrical supply to my house definitely won't deliver much more than about 7.2 Kw. So in 8 minutes that's at most 1.2 Kw.Hours of energy. My relatively slow and low range electric scooter ( Silence S01 ) has a battery capacity of 5.6 Kw.h so even fast charging in 30 minutes is not feasible. I presume we are all going to need our own generators in the back garden.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

roadster wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:40 am I presume we are all going to need our own generators in the back garden.
Solved!

You need Pedal-A-Watt :D

Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I saw a TV program about the Japanese car industry and electric vehicles. In general Japan is rather behind the curve on this, as most of their electricity is generated from fossil fuels, so swapping to EVs doesn't save much carbon! Still, there was clearly some more advanced EV tech coming such as solid-state batteries that are half the size and hold twice the power of current batteries. I get the impression that Japanese companies are as interested in Hydrogen fuel celll vehicles and alternative fuels as in conventional battery EVs.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Hello roadster, yeah...I know what you mean concerning the 'it's just around the corner' thing. But in this instance it's actually happening. Already XFC is here for EV cars (Extra Fast Charging) for the existing Li-ion batteries. This means most EV's will have their charging times cut almost in half using commercial fast chargers. This may also be retrospective for some vehicles with software battery management. My bro in laws Kia E-Niro EV fully charges from 20% in 54mins. Yet a 15 min charge puts around 140-150 miles in the tank. Charging at home from about 20% takes about 6.5hrs+ on a 7.2kw charger. Depends on the ambient temperature and costs him around £6.50 before the last price hike in energy. It has 201hp and a range of 382 miles in town and urban driving and 283 miles in more general use on motorways and country road driving. He's had his for 18 months now and it's a great car.

The very fast charging batteries already exist in prototypes according to my tech buddies. These batteries will charge super quick in just a few minutes. It's not quite like the fusion thing. It's actually here (as reported by all the news agencies last year) but not available in full scale production until 2024-5 due to the fact they are building factories to make them in. But it's not just the batteries that will make a huge difference. New EV motors are on the way that are smaller, lighter, more powerful, use less energy but still provide the same power. That's the area my buddies are working in. One such motor they are working on is just two thirds the weight of most existing motors but puts out 250hp using a bit less energy. It's all good! So don't worry, you'll still be alive even if you are very very old now!... :lol:
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Data wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:34 am My bro in laws Kia E-Niro EV fully charges from 20% in 54mins. Yet a 15 min charge puts around 140-150 miles in the tank. Charging at home from about 20% takes about 6.5hrs+ on a 7.2kw charger. Depends on the ambient temperature and costs him around £6.50 before the last price hike in energy. It has 201hp and a range of 382 miles in town and urban driving and 283 miles in more general use on motorways and country road driving. He's had his for 18 months now and it's a great car.
With respect you are quoting two different charging scenarios. Using a 7.2KW home charger you can only achieve 1.8 KW.H in 15 minutes. This represents less than 3.3 % of the battery capacity so a distance of 300 X 3.3 / 100 = approximately 10 miles, far from 140-150. Your fast charge scenario cannot be achieved on domestic supplies so if a large proportion of the population need public charging points ... join the queue! The improvements in battery technology don't make any difference to this unless there is a massive investment in extremely fast and high powered charging points. In practice the price of this is extremely high compared to the price of adapting current petrol stations to provide compressed hydrogen, so even though battery power is the current favourite my money is still on hydrogen, and a think this will be driven by commercial vehicle technology then followed by private cars as the infrastructure and supply chain develops.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Personally I think the idea of recharging an EV en-route is still a long way off being a practical reality. Which is why a vehicle with ample range from a single battery charge is essential. In this case, the batteries can be (in most cases) recharged at home overnight, where rapidity of charge isn't so much of an issue.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

roadster wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:33 am
Data wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:34 am My bro in laws Kia E-Niro EV fully charges from 20% in 54mins. Yet a 15 min charge puts around 140-150 miles in the tank. Charging at home from about 20% takes about 6.5hrs+ on a 7.2kw charger. Depends on the ambient temperature and costs him around £6.50 before the last price hike in energy. It has 201hp and a range of 382 miles in town and urban driving and 283 miles in more general use on motorways and country road driving. He's had his for 18 months now and it's a great car.
With respect you are quoting two different charging scenarios. Using a 7.2KW home charger you can only achieve 1.8 KW.H in 15 minutes. This represents less than 3.3 % of the battery capacity so a distance of 300 X 3.3 / 100 = approximately 10 miles, far from 140-150. Your fast charge scenario cannot be achieved on domestic supplies so if a large proportion of the population need public charging points ... join the queue! The improvements in battery technology don't make any difference to this unless there is a massive investment in extremely fast and high powered charging points. In practice the price of this is extremely high compared to the price of adapting current petrol stations to provide compressed hydrogen, so even though battery power is the current favourite my money is still on hydrogen, and a think this will be driven by commercial vehicle technology then followed by private cars as the infrastructure and supply chain develops.
Indeed roadster, that is correct and I do make that clear. Obviously rapid charging is only available from public or commercial chargers and that's where the Kia E-niro and other makes can get up to 150 miles or more in just 15mins at an ambient temp around 18-20c when using them. I quoted the typical home charging time, charging rate & cost too which would be at 7.2kw or often lower. In my part of the world (Essex) fast public chargers are becoming available in ever increasing numbers and are being installed continuously by various big players. Indeed quite a few of these chargers are free to use & are often available at large supermarkets in my local area. It's not until you get an EV you start to notice them. Charging black spots exist but are and will disappear quite quickly now that the big players are installing chargers fast.

On a recent 390 mile trip with bro in law in his E-niro we had no problem finding a charging point. We stopped for a very quick snack. This took 20 mins and the car batteries took on board almost 160 miles in that time. That's the only charge the car had during the trip. The car itself constantly displays all the charging stations available to you along your journey telling you which ones are in use and any that are not working. We travelled from North Essex to the Midlands and trust me, there was no shortage of charging stations. They were literally every few miles. Our hotel had free overnight charging if needed. Once you get an EV most folks quickly loose their range anxiety. But choosing the right car/range for you is important.

The new battery technology will and is already making a huge difference to every aspect of EV ownership. Cars will soon spend about the same amount of time at a charging station as an ice car spends at a petrol pump. That's coming very soon. A brand new 24 car fast charging station not far from me can accommodate these new fast charging times. Most EVs in everyday use already only spend between 10 and 30min at the charging station (source: AA). Full charge only needed if undertaking a very long journey and better for battery life to not to fully charge all the time. It's a very interesting field of development.

Hydrogen, well that's another story. It certainly won't be as convenient or as available for years and years for road use. It's main application is really going to be for aviation & maybe some trucks. But frankly already EV trucks are being developed that far outperform anything hydrogen can power. Unless you are talking about hydrogen powered EV's. But they are still some way off being as good as straight battery powered EV's.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Suzuki funded research into Fuel Cell Burgmans about 10 yrs ago and there were a few prototypes around in the UK: my old boss' husband was one of the scientists on the project. Obviously that came to nothing but I gather they proved the scoots were viable.

EDIT: Actually, looks like the project went further than I thought. See this from 2017:

https://bikes.suzuki.co.uk/news/suzuki- ... et-police/
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

That's interesting Stephen. It didn't come to anything as far as I remember. Hydrogen is not easily available.

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

I think the new BMW looks fantastic, but I need double the range at a minimum to consider something like that as a viable T-Max replacement. But I suspect that long-distance riders like me are going to be the last to switch, despite my relative enthusiasm for the tech and love of the styling. While touring I'll do 300-500 miles in a day sometimes, and stopping to recharge every 60 miles for 30 minutes will literally extend the trip time by 50%.

The batteries also seem to take up more space than an engine and transmission, and I'm looking for more storage, not less! Still; it'll be interesting to see what happens with hot-swappable batteries. If I can pull a couple of cells out and slot a couple new ones in every couple hours or so then we'll have reached petrol parity and charging speed won't matter any more!

Nick