Laughable Trade-in

Chat about any motorbike here.
Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Re: Laughable Trade-in

Post by Stibbs »

Bluestrom13 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:00 pm Sorry, late to this thread. Just have to comment.
Stibbs wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:31 am Why trade in a 281 mile nearly new bike? Seriously, I’m not being flippant I’m genuinely interested. Is the Himalayan no good?
There's a lot of it about !!
MCN classified gets more than a few with less than 1000 miles, likewise fleabay.
When I bought mine the dealer asked me if "I knew what I was getting into". Apparently he was sick of buyers riding away on a new one only to complain like crazy when first service came round, and the bike still won't do 90 mph. So trade in. Barmy.
Could do with a bit more grunt?? Why buy the *^%&** thing?
A little bit of pre-buying research will tell you that the engine produces 24 and a half bhp. Seriously, they spec the "half". So about the same / bit more than my BSA, Ariel, AJS and Matchless singles.

" Is the Himalayan no good? "
It is an absolutely brilliant little bike.
Had mine just a year now, 7500 miles, circa 90mpg (+/- 2). Cruises easily at A and B road speed limits. Will do short motorway runs, but not why I bought it. Dead easy to self-service (what warranty?), and gets more conversations started than any GS1250 is going to do.
Have a mate with one, (of 3 bikes), now 18 months old, 18000 miles. His one complaint - just had to replace another rear tyre.
As you will have realised, I was a V-Strom owner previously, and think just as well of my Himalayan as I did that.

RANT over, sorry.
No rant, a well reasoned explanation thanks. I too have had a VStrom and loved it. I just don’t get why some riders buy a bike do a few miles then trade it in? Every bike I’ve owned I’ve had for at least two years, current Burger is now 7 years. Surely every buyer of a new vehicle realises that the minute you pull out of the dealership you can kiss goodbye to at least 25% of the purchase price?

Deleted User 18408

Post by Deleted User 18408 »

Stibbs wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:22 pm No rant, a well reasoned explanation thanks. I too have had a VStrom and loved it. I just don’t get why some riders buy a bike do a few miles then trade it in? Every bike I’ve owned I’ve had for at least two years, current Burger is now 7 years. Surely every buyer of a new vehicle realises that the minute you pull out of the dealership you can kiss goodbye to at least 25% of the purchase price?
Thanks.
They trade them in, in my opinion, which is free, so worth same, because
a) Too little research goes into the decision.
b) Money is no object when they get the decision wrong.
c) Power is King.

One bloke I know swapped (NEW) bikes four times in 7 weeks. Seriously. Finished up on same make+model as he started with.

The other day, by co-incidence, I was asked by a BMW owner about the Himalayan. It went like this -
" What is it - about 40, 45bhp?".
No- 24 (and a half).
" WHAT !!! Mines 90, and that's sometimes not enough " he was riding his 'small' bike...." The 1250 at home is much better - 120bhp ".
When was the last time he used all 120, I wonder.

I get similar when asked about my Burgman...But have been asked more than once "What the **ck is that thing?" when I get to there at same time as them.
The Himalayan isn't as "quick" as the Burgman, but the noise from the exhaust on both acceleration and deceleration is hypnotic. To me anyway. :D

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Hi Norm, With 281 miles on the clock it won't have much oomph yet! It's not run in & the motor is tight. Then it takes another few thousand miles to fully loosen & conform and thus produce full power. There is normally a noticeable difference power wise when the process is complete. I'm sure you know this, but for folks who don't it's worth mentioning again. I'd hang on to it. Get your monies worth out of it.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Deleted User 18408

Data wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:45 am Hi Norm, With 281 miles on the clock it won't have much oomph yet! It's not run in & the motor is tight. Then it takes another few thousand miles to fully loosen & conform and thus produce full power. There is normally a noticeable difference power wise when the process is complete. I'm sure you know this, but for folks who don't it's worth mentioning again. I'd hang on to it. Get your monies worth out of it.
Excellent advice, and assessment of the running in requirement, but given too late. Norm seems to have got himself an Interceptor 650.

" Norm's Current Ride: Royal Enfield Inteceptor 650 "

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Well at least he should be happy with the power output! And the Interceptor is a nice bike.

PS. Hadn't noticed it was an older thread.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Deleted User 18408

It would have been interesting to know how trade-in went, going from one Enfield to the other, and upscaling, as it were.
(Assuming, that is, that he bought the Interceptor new, and from an Enfield dealer). Note to self - "NEVER Assume".

Old thread, but timeless?

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Post by Normsthename »

They trade them in, in my opinion, which is free, so worth same, because
a) Too little research goes into the decision.
Too little research???
Don't make me laugh 🤣
Whenever I look at a new potential bike OCD takes over and I read everything, watch every video and go onto model specific Bike Forums to see what actual owners are saying
I read everything about the Himalayan going right back to the early problems with frame breakages and watched just about every video on Youtube.
b) Money is no object when they get the decision wrong.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
My secrets out, I'm a multi-Millionaire
c) Power is King.
I have owned just about every kind of bike with different power levels ranging from Mopeds upto Supersports 1000cc Sportsbikes, etc
If 'Power is King' I wouldn't have owned so many Scooters 😀
It would have been interesting to know how trade-in went, going from one Enfield to the other, and upscaling, as it were.
(Assuming, that is, that he bought the Interceptor new, and from an Enfield dealer). Note to self - "NEVER Assume".
I was offered £3500 Trade--in on the Himalayan which I was happy with, that was £1500 more than the original offer from the Honda Dealer.

I really did like the Himalayan and it will be interesting to see the New updated Himalyan in the pipeline that has a new Liquid Cooled Engine and 40bhp
I hope they don't sacrifice the low down torque of the bike for outright Power.....

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D