Burgman 400 won't start!

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Moz
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400

Burgman 400 won't start!

Post by Moz »

My wife bought a 2015 Burgman 400 so she could do her A2 licence training/testing and because it suits her. Last weekend she was doing a 'get to know you' session with her bike (which I ride too, love big scooters) just in our driveway. I started the bike and rode it out of the garage and switched off. She practiced her vehicle checks for CBT and did a few start-ups and shut-downs and checked the safety interlocks all worked.

Then I decided to take it for a run but it wouldn't start! I have been investigating this all week. The engine turns over strongly (battery tested by mechanic as 93% healthy and fully charged); all other system work fine; there is fuel flow to the injector (I physically checked) and the fuel pump winds up as normal and there is spark at the plug, again I physically checked. It just doesn't even try to start.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: Burgman 400 won't start!

Post by Data »

Hi Moz, well it could be a number of things which you most probably know. However, it might just be the following. They don't like being started up and shut down repeatedly without actually riding it. If you start it and idle it then shut it off, then repeat a time or two, it floods the motor and upsets various readings from the sensors in the 'loop'. Things can soot up and get a sticky muck form on the lambda and plug etc. This can happen to any modern engine. Modern motors need a lot of fuel when cold to get them going (they normally run so weak these days when hot) and this produces a lot of soot and muck. This can have the effect of damping down or even killing the spark. The fact you got a spark with the plug out of the cylinder head doesn't actually mean you get a spark with the plug in the cylinder head. Under compression the resistance on the plug increases and will kill a spark if it's not top notch. A plug that's been flooded (and perhaps a bit sooted) may spark outside of the engine but not inside. So that's the first place I'd look. We frequently had bikes trailered in with these symptoms. A replacement spark plug nearly always fixed the issue. The only other thing...has the bike been dropped in the garage or driveway or even just tipped over substantially but not quite dropped?
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Any joy Moz?

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

I do wish folks who join then Immediately ask for help would at least post back with an acknowledgement of some kind. Is all well? Or do you need more help?

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

yes, so we know if the help we gave worked and for others who may have the same issue down the line can see this which may help them.