Nmax or pcx

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Nmax or pcx

Post by charles1976 »

Any suggestions, anybody on here own or had either... looking for a work commute bike.....Will be new....thanks

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Nmax or pcx

Post by MrGrumpy »

No experience of either. Depending on how much you are going to use it, I'd probably consider their bigger brothers eg Forza and Xmax, as they are a bit higher spec, albeit rather more expensive! Of course, if you ard just diddling round a few urban roads, then the Nmax or PCX may do the job fine.

scootabout
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 350

Post by scootabout »

Most 125's will be fine for commuting (assuming non-motorway journey), so think about your needs:
Do you need built in storage to keep your helmet/kit in, or do you carry other stuff/get a few groceries on the way home?
Will you ride in all weathers? Does the bike have a screen/weather protection, or is it easy to fit?
What are the roads like that you'll use in terms of surface? The PCX has pretty narrow tyres.
If you're racking up the miles, what are the service intervals/costs?
For close combat filtering, I find more upright machines, like the Honda SH125, better for slicing through.
Do looks matter? (the scoot, not you!)
If you're looking for value, think about total cost over the lifetime you expect to keep it: (Purchase cost - residual value) + fuel costs + servicing.

Whatever you buy, have fun riding it!

OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Post by OneFootInTheGravy »

There is a nice comparison on the Carole Nash website for these two.

https://www.carolenash.com/tips-guides/ ... amaha-nmax

TLDR, the Yamaha takes the edge in performance but the Honda wins on practicality.

Personally, I prefer the looks of the Honda, but I don't dislike the Yamaha.

I think by all accounts they are very comparable machines, so for me it would come down to which dealer is giving me the best offer!

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

I had an Nmax as a rental when my Xmax was smashed up. It was OK, no complaints, really.

But from observing traffic in central London I can say the PCX is the fastest mode of transport anywhere, ever. The speed these things hit and the way they weave through traffic is incredible. icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Seriously though, both are hugely popular and widely used by couriers. I doubt you'd go wrong with either so yes, I would go with whoever offers the best finance/service package or whose dealer is closest.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

scootabout wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:40 am Most 125's will be fine for commuting (assuming non-motorway journey), so think about your needs:
Do you need built in storage to keep your helmet/kit in, or do you carry other stuff/get a few groceries on the way home?
Will you ride in all weathers? Does the bike have a screen/weather protection, or is it easy to fit?
What are the roads like that you'll use in terms of surface? The PCX has pretty narrow tyres.
If you're racking up the miles, what are the service intervals/costs?
For close combat filtering, I find more upright machines, like the Honda SH125, better for slicing through.
Do looks matter? (the scoot, not you!)
If you're looking for value, think about total cost over the lifetime you expect to keep it: (Purchase cost - residual value) + fuel costs + servicing.

Whatever you buy, have fun riding it!
8-) You're welcome
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Post by OneFootInTheGravy »

Just to throw an outlier out there, if you have the extra £££ (and can find one) the new Italjet Dragster 125 looks like an amazing bit of kit! I had the 180 back in the day and loved it!

charles1976

Post by charles1976 »

Had a sh350i awesome engine but never got on with the feet position just too cramped. Offered a pcx for £3199 with a lid, brand new .

Or £3200 for a nmax no lid....

Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Post by Drago »

I had a current model Nmax as a hire when my Joymax was written off. The underseat storage was poor. It's a weird 'triangular' shape and won't fit a helmet.
Front indicators were also really low down. Nice dash and very quiet motor though. Did mid sixties top speed wise.
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

charles1976

Post by charles1976 »

Max budget £3200.. whole point is cheap transportation to work....