New wheel and tyre BV 350 after near death experience!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

New wheel and tyre BV 350 after near death experience!

Post by Bingo »

Dramatic title I know but Im still a bit shaken. :(

Literally two hundred yards from home coming down the hill to our village at lunchtime in the bright sunlight I didnt see a huge stone brick in the road and hit it at about 50+ mph. How I never came off is a mystery.

Anyway the tyre ran flat and back home Ive noticed that the front wheel is slightly misshaped where the air is now coming out if you try and pump it up. You can feel it if you run your finger round the rim. Hopefully there is no other damage.

Whats the best course of action. New tyre and maybe a tube or new / used tyre and wheel? or could the wheel and tyre be repaired? Its a shame as the tyre and wheel were in good nick. There are a fair few on ebay complete with tyre.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... l&_sacat=0

OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Re: New wheel and tyre BV 350 after near death experience!

Post by OneFootInTheGravy »

I had a similar experience on a ZX6R years ago. I was following a car along a bit of a twisty country lane, admittedly following a little bit too close looking for a spot to overtake. Anyway, a large flat slab of quarry stone had fallen off the back of a lorry (or something similar) and was right in the middle of the lane. It was low enough that the car I was behind drove over it without issue but didn't see it until the car had passed over it. I tried to dodge but I had barely any time to react, but somehow managed to only clip the edge of the rock with my front wheel and not come off. It put a slice down the edge of the tire, a dint in the rim, and a big brown stain in my pants. Luckily, because I was following a car I was only doing 45/50 ish at the time, if I had come along that lane doing 'fun-time' speeds, even with extra time to see it, it could have been a different story. Both the tire and wheel had to be replaced :(

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Glad you survived!!! I'd guess that if the wheel is warped, it'd be better to replace it. And if you are taking the tyre off, probably best to replace it anyway. There is the possibility of internal damage.

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

New wheel and tyre for sure. That round bit of metal covered in the rubber tube is the only thing between you and a nasty incident in future. You can’t gamble it “may” be alright. It has to be. Glad you were ok though.

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Thanks. Is it worth getting one of those off Ebay do you think? I had a look earlier but couldnt even find a new wheel. I suspect someone will do them. I was a bit confused though as some of them are for ABS BV 350s post 2015 but I am sure my 2014 model has ABS.

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Does anyone know if the 2014 Beverly Wheels were all the same colour as mine looks more dark blue than this one. Most of the others on Ebay look black but it could just be the camera.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154495111031

This is my wheel. The arrow points to the slightly damaged area. Do they look the same to you?

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Yes, replace the wheel and tyre. It's the only way. I'd buy a brand new wheel and tyre. Secondhand can be a nightmare and may not save you money when you realise you've been shafted, as happens often. It's a really important component. As far as I remember the cost of new is very reasonable.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Data wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:13 am Yes, replace the wheel and tyre. It's the only way. I'd buy a brand new wheel and tyre. Secondhand can be a nightmare and may not save you money when you realise you've been shafted, as happens often. It's a really important component. As far as I remember the cost of new is very reasonable.
Thanks. Do you or anyone know the best place to source one? The one I linked to is apparently off the same year bike with just 7000 miles on the clock and seller has 100% feedback but if I Can find a reasonably priced new one i can go for that.

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

I had a similar experience on the M1 southbound near Woodall services. I didn't see what it was, but my wife who was on the pillion thought it was a short piece of pipe. I nearly missed it but not quite we were doing about 70 mph when it hit the wheel rim and buckled it. We didn't come off more by luck than judgement and the tyre didn't deflate but the wheel was well buckled, pulled into a layby (smart motorway) checked it over and came off the motorway and rode home slowly.
I got the wheel repaired by a bloke in Doncaster who made a really good job of it. He repairs wheels for bike racers and races himself. The bike was an NT 700 Deauville and it was still on the bike when I sold it about 6,000 miles later. It cost about £70 or £80 quid.
His website is "doncasteralloywheelrepair.com"

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Bingo, assuming you have ABS then you can buy an new wheel from Fowlers online site. Here's the link: https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/56 ... ront-wheel (note: it has to be ordered from the factory at the moment). May be worth trying one of the big main dealers like Colchester Kawasaki who distribute Piaggio to half the country. Dunno who the North are covered by but it doesn't matter who you order from if you don't go to Fowlers.

It lists the cost further down the page. Pricier than second hand but you won't get shafted like so many people have. You may be able to make an insurance claim for accidental damage caused by that brick in the road. Depends what excess you have as to whether it's worth claiming or not.

Repairs on your old wheel may be viable but you should be aware that repairing alloy wheels is always risky if it's anything more than just the slightest bend to the actual external lip of the wheel. Personnally, looking at your wheel I would not repair that as the shape of the wheel has changed. It's more than just a ding to the alloy wheel lip. Alloy has a nasty habit of cracking and it's never usually the same strength even after a repair. I've repaired alloy wheels for customers myself many times when it's been a minor ding but if the wheel has been altered in shape, even slightly, it will always have a weakness and may crack at some future point. Just saying.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...