New wheel and tyre BV 350 after near death experience!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

Re: New wheel and tyre BV 350 after near death experience!

Post by Bingo »

Data wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:45 am Bingo, assuming you have ABS then you can buy an new wheel from Fowlers online site. Here's the link: https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/56 ... ront-wheel (note: it has to be ordered from the factory at the moment). May be worth trying one of the big main dealers like Colchester Kawasaki who distribute Piaggio to half the country. Dunno who the North are covered by but it doesn't matter who you order from if you don't go to Fowlers.

It lists the cost further down the page. Pricier than second hand but you won't get shafted like so many people have. You may be able to make an insurance claim for accidental damage caused by that brick in the road. Depends what excess you have as to whether it's worth claiming or not.

Repairs on your old wheel may be viable but you should be aware that repairing alloy wheels is always risky if it's anything more than just the slightest bend to the actual external lip of the wheel. Personnally, looking at your wheel I would not repair that as the shape of the wheel has changed. It's more than just a ding to the alloy wheel lip. Alloy has a nasty habit of cracking and it's never usually the same strength even after a repair. I've repaired alloy wheels for customers myself many times when it's been a minor ding but if the wheel has been altered in shape, even slightly, it will always have a weakness and may crack at some future point. Just saying.
Thanks. Damage excess is £350 so I guess its not worth a claim even if I got a dealer to sort it all.

This is going to sound dumb but I think it has ABS. I am sure there is an ABS light that flashes until you get going. Its a 2014 model. Some of the adverts for wheels on Ebay are 2015 on with ABS but before that without but I am almost certain it has ABS. I presume it will make a difference?

The one I linked to is apparently off a 2014 bike with 7000 miles on the clock. Seller claims its in good condition but a few marks and general wear and tear. I just dont want to get the wrong one. £152 for a full wheel according to your link but of course not in stock. Their Michelin Tyre is £102 but they are £55 on demonTweaks. Its tempting to take a punt on the Ebay one to be honest especially as its available and in stock.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yes, it matters regarding abs. You cannot fit one that doesn't have abs if yours has abs. That will cause issues and the bike will likely fail it's MOT.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Data wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:06 pm Yes, it matters regarding abs. You cannot fit one that doesn't have abs if yours has abs. That will cause issues and the bike will likely fail it's MOT.
Ok thanks. How do I check if it has ABS?

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Ok so if you look at the picture in your link early on in this thread, you will notice it has a small bright metal serrated disc mounted near the centre of the wheel on the same side of the wheel as the disc brake. That is the abs 'tone wheel'. Nearby when looking at your bike, if it has abs you will see an electrical sensor almost touching the serrated disc. The sensor is usually covered in rubber and mounted on the fork leg that counts the number of wheel rotations. It's job is to compare the front wheel rotations with the rear wheel rotations to make sure neither wheel is skidding or slipping. If your bike has that 'tone wheel' then you will have abs. But also your instrument panel should show an abs light that flashes after start up until you get your speed above 6mph. Check your owners handbook for confirmation if you are not sure. I'm not a BV "eggspurt" but pretty much all bikes with abs are the same regarding the tone wheel, sensor and stuff. Of course there are lots of other bits of equipment fitted to abs bikes such as the abs pump, but that's hidden and not easy to see. That's why you cannot fit a non abs wheel to an abs bike as it throws your ecu and whole system out of sync if you do.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

If yours has ABS, there should be a bit in the instruction book about recalibrating the ABS/Traction Control after taking a wheel off. Quite why this was necessary on the Bev, but no other bike I've had, I was never sure!

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Thanks for those replies. I cant look at the bike right now but will this afternoon. I posted this on Modern Vespa also and someone there said if it has the slotted ring in the center of the brake rotor it has ABS so will look later. This is the one off ebay.

Anyway I am pretty sure it has the flashing light that goes off when you ride away. Cheers for the heads up on the calibration. I dont however have a user manual.

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Closer photo of the wheel on my bike from the other side. I would say it has ABS. And of course there is indeed the ABS light on the dash.

So do you think that Ebay wheel pictured above is a match?

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

If it's off a 350, then it should be fine. You need to check that wheel for truth & cracks though. I came to fit a wheel a customer had bought from eBay, to his bike (a Burgman 650) only to find it had a hairline crack in it where a spoke joined the rim. It looked perfect in the photos but these cracks are hard to spot without a detailed magnifying inspection. Seller wouldn't give him his money back, claiming he had caused the crack himself. I wrote a letter for him confirming the wheel had not been fitted to his bike as it was unsafe. Didn't hear what the final outcome was. Sadly that sort of thing is not unheard of so be very careful. Good luck!

Old scooterist
Current Ride: Suzuki An400X

Post by Old scooterist »

The wheel can be repaired, there are several firms that do a great job and a lot cheaper than a new or even used wheel.
Tyre is certainly junk, an impact like that will have damaged the carcase.
Plastic scooters are rubbish, including mine. Lambretta SX200 was the ultimate. never bettered.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Ok, so if it's a reputable firm see what the cost is and decide if it's worth the risk. It might be ok or it might not. I cannot say for sure without a detailed inspection of your wheel. Generally though, approach alloy wheel repairs with extreme caution. Good luck and let us know how you get on if you will. ;)