First service on new Honda Scooter, where?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

First service on new Honda Scooter, where?

Post by Bingo »

I have a brand new Honda Vision 110 which I bought to replace our ageing and tired 2012 Vision. First service is 600 miles and for warranty purposes it has to be done I believe by a reputable workshop using genuine Honda parts where a proper invoice can be produced, not necessarily by a main Honda dealer. My nearest Honda dealer is 40 miles away on Teesside but they reckon its going to be £120 for what according to the service book is just an oil change! Sounds like a bit of a rip off to me. What should I be paying for this small service and check over? My local to me mechanic runs a good little business out of his garage nearby and will even come to me to do it and only charges £25 an hour and will produce an invoice. Will it be enough to cover the warranty or should I go to a main dealer? Its more convenience also than cost but £120 seems a bit steep.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Re: First service on new Honda Scooter, where?

Post by smeghead »

Is it worth the risk? Personally I wouldn't give Honda any wiggle room in the event there's an issue with the bike later down the line. But that's just me.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Its a tricky one! Legally, as I understand it, you don't have to go to a franchised dealer for servicing. However, I kind of agree with Smeghead, that maybe you should have the first service done by a Honda dealer, just to cut out any possible hassle from Honda in case of any trouble. I presume you'd go to Vertu in Stockton - close to my home, but I've never had any dealings with them - except that they contracted a load of work out to the local workshop that I use!

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

The first service is certainly a lot more than just an oil change. Folks get that impression but it's not true. Ok, it's not the biggest service but there are still many things to do and it is actually the most important service any bike will have. Not sure if the valves will be checked on that model as many Honda's require that, but engine & gearbox oils, oil filter, full nut & bolt check, steering head check, brakes etc plus an ecu check for faults and updates. £120 is about right and inline with any proper first service.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Data wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:48 am £120 is about right and inline with any proper first service.
It wasn't that long ago that the 1st service was Free (labour wise at least)....

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:31 am
Data wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:48 am £120 is about right and inline with any proper first service.
It wasn't that long ago that the 1st service was Free (labour wise at least)....
You should’ve negotiated that :lol:

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

The First Service on my Forza 350 done last Saturday cost me £147.66. This breaks down thus:

Parts:- Filter set, Oil, Drain Plug Washer - £41.67
Labour:- £81.38
Net Total:- £123.05
V.A.T:- £24.61

I thought it a bit steep but I suppose Labour is quite expensive these days compared with what it used to be; it's all comparative.

I have confidence in my dealer - Newcastle Motorcycles - and will continue to have them look after the Forza, at least for the time-being.
I enjoy the ride up there and am received in a friendly and professional manner; that becomes more important to me as I get older.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

When I bought my Forza 300 in 2019 there was a service plan offered for £600 to cover 3 services. I'd recommend that when buying new and if still available: the main advantage (other than it'll probably be cheaper in the long run than individually priced dealer services) is that it really makes you get the job done by trained mechs. A dealer service history is both a good selling point as well as reduces the chances of arguments against warranty claims.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

When I looked at the Honda service plan, I found that '3 services' was actually 2 services plus the 600 mile service. One thing to be cautious of is that if you buy the plan and then cease to own the scooter for any reason (eg sale, accident or theft), then Honda WON'T give you any outstanding money back, which I think is quite bad practice.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:42 pm When I looked at the Honda service plan, I found that '3 services' was actually 2 services plus the 600 mile service. One thing to be cautious of is that if you buy the plan and then cease to own the scooter for any reason (eg sale, accident or theft), then Honda WON'T give you any outstanding money back, which I think is quite bad practice.
That doesn't sound like bad practise to me, if you buy that you should do so knowing you'll use it, if you think you might not then you should not buy it. The onus is on the owner.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...