Not using bike for six months

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Re: Not using bike for six months

Post by OneFootInTheGravy »

Data wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:18 pm Firstly, starting it up at anytime from cold creates a disproportionate amount of engine wear for the first few minutes if left to idle, especially to the cylinder bores, pistons and rings.
So on a separate note. Whenever I go out I usually start up the bike and leave it running "to warm up" while I put on my jacket and helmet, lock the door, close the gate, etc. Should I not really do this then? Is it better to get all that crap out the way first, start up, and ride straight off?

Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

Post by Bingo »

OneFootInTheGravy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:32 am
Data wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:18 pm Firstly, starting it up at anytime from cold creates a disproportionate amount of engine wear for the first few minutes if left to idle, especially to the cylinder bores, pistons and rings.
So on a separate note. Whenever I go out I usually start up the bike and leave it running "to warm up" while I put on my jacket and helmet, lock the door, close the gate, etc. Should I not really do this then? Is it better to get all that crap out the way first, start up, and ride straight off?
Its a good question because Im pretty sure I have had bike dealers and mechanics tell me that its a good idea to let it warm up a bit before riding off but perhaps the problem is if you just warm it up a bit when you are not using it but then dont ride off underload a few minutes later I dunno.

Got some oil on order for the BV but its out of MOT now so I Can change it before I disappear for a bit but I Cant ride it.

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

Data, a couple of good post with some useful info, thanks icon_thumbs_up.gif

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I never see the point of 'warming it up' before you set off. Obviously, its probably not a good idea to give it full throttle from a cold start, but as most people live in towns, most journies are likely to start with a gentle trundle along roads with 30 limit, the bike/scoot is going to get a gentle warm up anyway, until faster roads are reached. Maybe bike dealers advise people to warm it up before starting out because they've probably come across a load of real idiot punters who would think nothing of doing burn outs and wheelies straight away!
I get togged up, extricate the scoot from the garage, leap on, start up and go. Its at least a mile before there's even a 40 limit.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

For me, it depends on the length of the ride.
My four-time-a-week trundle down to the sea is roughly four minutes in duration, not nearly enough time for any heat to get in the engine and I'm sure that's not good for it. I would warm up the Forza for that.
However, I have the electric scooter for local trips so warming-up isn't an issue. ;)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

I'm lucky or unlucky then as in either direction from the village I live within 100 metres Im into national speed limit twisties with virtually no traffic on them so I tend to like to warm the bike up a bit as I put my jacket and over trousers on, drop my gloves on the floor several times and then set off because I dont like to open the bike up beyond say 40 or gently to 50 until its warmed up to just below 90 degrees, then I ring its neck :D

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I have not used my CBR500R for about 6 months, changed the oil cold before starting it up, My reason being the old oil is in poor condition probably 3 years old, so it will do no good warming the oil up just to remove it.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yeah, get most of your stuff done before starting her up. Idling for more than 30 seconds just isn't required & causes more wear on the motor than necessary.

It's always been said by manufacturers & testing houses that the most engine wear occurs during the first 7 minutes of cold engine running. In fact, the testing we did showed that over the life of an engine the first 9 minutes of cold running proved to be the main period on any journey where maximum wear takes place. It's also the time when most water from the combustion process goes down past the piston into the oil especially during winter. If you leave the bike idling for several minutes while you 'tog up' the amount of water going into the oil is even worse. So start the bike & ride off once you have your gloves on. Be gentle with the throttle. This technique minimises engine wear, warms the bike up more quickly, and saves fuel.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Post by OneFootInTheGravy »

Data wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:06 am
Yeah, get most of your stuff done before starting her up. Idling for more than 30 seconds just isn't required & causes more wear on the motor than necessary.

It's always been said by manufacturers & testing houses that the most engine wear occurs during the first 7 minutes of cold engine running. In fact, the testing we did showed that over the life of an engine the first 9 minutes of cold running proved to be the main period on any journey where maximum wear takes place. It's also the time when most water from the combustion process goes down past the piston into the oil especially during winter. If you leave the bike idling for several minutes while you 'tog up' the amount of water going into the oil is even worse. So start the bike & ride off once you have your gloves on. Be gentle with the throttle. This technique minimises engine wear, warms the bike up more quickly, and saves fuel.
Every day is a school day. Thanks for the info Data. I'll put that into practice right away.

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Yes thanks for the info Data. Lesson learned for me also.

My oils arrived by the way but as said my MOT has expired but is it still worth putting the new oil in for when I moth ball it for a while even though I cant ride it?

There is a chance now that I might be able to use the bike again in a couple of months time so in effect it might only be stood for two months then maybe a further three.