Not using bike for six months

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: Not using bike for six months

Post by Data »

Personally, I'd drop the oil out & refill with new. However as you took her for a nice long hot ride the other day it's not going to be too bad if you leave the old oil in. Most water in the old oil will be gone. But your old oil still won't be very good at preventing corrosion.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

Post by Bingo »

Data wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:27 pm Personally, I'd drop the oil out & refill with new. However as you took her for a nice long hot ride the other day it's not going to be too bad if you leave the old oil in. Most water in the old oil will be gone. But your old oil still won't be very good at preventing corrosion.
Ok thanks. Should I drain it cold though or warm it up a bit first? After what you said about idling maybe its not such a good idea.

OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Post by OneFootInTheGravy »

I always let it warm up a little first before draining the oil

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

In this instance there's no problem in just dropping the oil on a cold motor. But you can start the motor & run it a minute or so if you like. Just let it drain for a decent time & tilt the bike over a bit towards the drain side to get as much of the old oil out as possible. If you are doing the filter too then take that off, fill the new filter with oil & then screw it quickly back on the bike. Most of the oil will remain in the filter due to the anti drain back device. It just lessens the time it takes for the oil to get round the engine.

Once you've refilled the bike you will need to start the engine to circulate the oil. But if you are not going to ride it turn it off after a minute or so. You can the recheck the oil level & look for leaks around the filter & drain bung. Any water created during the minute or so of running will now be insignificant as the new oil will neutralise any acid produced. All done! Good luck Bingo.

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Data wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:54 am In this instance there's no problem in just dropping the oil on a cold motor. But you can start the motor & run it a minute or so if you like. Just let it drain for a decent time & tilt the bike over a bit towards the drain side to get as much of the old oil out as possible. If you are doing the filter too then take that off, fill the new filter with oil & then screw it quickly back on the bike. Most of the oil will remain in the filter due to the anti drain back device. It just lessens the time it takes for the oil to get round the engine.

Once you've refilled the bike you will need to start the engine to circulate the oil. But if you are not going to ride it turn it off after a minute or so. You can the recheck the oil level & look for leaks around the filter & drain bung. Any water created during the minute or so of running will now be insignificant as the new oil will neutralise any acid produced. All done! Good luck Bingo.
Thats great. Thanks very much. I dont think ill do the filter just the main oil bung.

DTO
Current Ride: X-max 300

Post by DTO »

The Beverly 350 has an internal cartridge oil filter so even after draining old oil there will be a pocket of dirty oil in filter housing .

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Oh yes DTO. Good point about the filter type. The last BV I serviced was a 300 with the cannister type.

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

What does this mean as regards my oil change? I think Data you said on page one there was probably no need to change the filter.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Changing the filter is always a good idea. But in this instance you could let it go for now as the bike is going to be stored. Filters do deteriorate though and if left in the motor for very long periods they can start to break up. So my advice is change the filter before you start to do any big miles once storage has finished just to be sure. Generally most filters can go up to a couple of years with low mileage use. But I repeat it's better to change out the filter whenever the oil is changed. It's difficult to change an oil filter without an oil change at the same time as it gets very messy and wastes oil.

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Data wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:17 am Changing the filter is always a good idea. But in this instance you could let it go for now as the bike is going to be stored. Filters do deteriorate though and if left in the motor for very long periods they can start to break up. So my advice is change the filter before you start to do any big miles once storage has finished just to be sure. Generally most filters can go up to a couple of years with low mileage use. But I repeat it's better to change out the filter whenever the oil is changed. It's difficult to change an oil filter without an oil change at the same time as it gets very messy and wastes oil.
Ok thanks. It just looked a bit trickier to be honest doing the filter as well and its only done 2000 miles since it was serviced at the dealers when I got it a year ago exactly. I think ill change the oil then maybe get it all done back end of this year. Im pretty sure the belt should probably be changed at 10k as well which its now gone over. There is a brand new belt under the seat from when I bought it so maybe it was in the previous owners mind to get done I dont know. Ill maybe ride it for a bit when I get back then get it all done at a reputable dealer and then just use it odd days over the winter.