I need a lift

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

I need a lift

Post by knight2 »

Does anybody use a lift to work on their scooters. I took the brake calipers off the Burgman yesterday to check on pad wear and I couldn't help thinking this would be a lot easier if the scooter was a bit higher even a foot would make it easier. So does anybody have any suggestions. I've seen some like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shoze-500KG-Mo ... 14&sr=1-12 on amazon but I'm not sure how stable they would be.

PS
I've got to agree with smeghead, having had a good look underneath the burgman to day I don't think that sort of lift would be suitable. It seems a full size platform would be needed, problem is what do you do with them when not in use, which is most of the time my garage isn't very big. I have a plan B forming in my muddled brain, though it needs a lot more thought. It would consist of a sheet of ply about half an inch thick, two foot wide and six foot long, theese measurements are off the top of my head so don't hold me to them. On the long edge each side screw it to a couple of two by fours on edge. A couple of folding legs about nine inch one end and short legs the other ( just long enough to get a trolley jack undeneath). open up the long legs so you have a ramp, wheel the scooter up it put it on the main stand then jack up the other end with the trolley jack and put a couple of axle stands underneath. like I said still in early planning stages, might have to strap the handlebars to the platform like they do on trailers for a bit of extra stability. When not in use it would stand up against the garae wall.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Re: I need a lift

Post by smeghead »

I'm interested in this topic as I thought exactly the same yesterday. I looked at one like the one in the link but couldn't figure out how it would work with a Vespa GTS

knight2

Post by knight2 »

I've amended my first post.

riders in the storm
Benefactor
Current Ride: HondaNC750X+HondaCRF300Rally

Post by riders in the storm »

That one you have linked to is available a bit cheaper elsewhere.....

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/steel-motorbik ... G7EALw_wcB

But what about this, obviously a lot more pricey and takes up more room...

https://www.sandblasters.co.uk/1000lbs- ... t0EALw_wcB
HondaCRF300Rally, Honda NC750X

knight2

Post by knight2 »

That second one would be brillaint but a bit out of my price range.
My plan for a wooden one has hit a hitch, getting the Burgman up the ramp and on to the mainstand wouldn't be much of a problem, getting it off the stand on a slope like that would be. Right, where's that drawing board.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Being just 84 years young and with many medical disabilities I bit the bullet 3 years ago and bought the sort of stand referenced by Ris, it makes any work on a bike so much easier, careful placing in the garage allows me to fit 4 bikes/scoots into a small space - while keeping the ‘regular’ bike on the stand ready for the off. Previously all my work was done kneeling or crawling around the bike(s). Of course it is HEAVY and doesn't get shifted very often.
Expensive? Yes, I thought about it for years but am very happy with it.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I keep the bike on the floor and use a padded foam backed plastic mat to lay or kneel on. I have nearly pushed over a bike when working on a bench.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

knight2

Post by knight2 »

Jimo, I'm impressed that your still riding at all at 84 icon_clap.gif I hope I am in 12 years time. I agree with you about the lift, though it will have to wait a while, the budget has taken a bit of a bashing so far this year.

Dave Weller, I have a mat, trouble is I keep forgetting to move it. I was working on it today, all of a sudden I wondered why I had a wet leg, I had shuffled along that far one leg was sticking out the garage door and lying in a puddle :D. I had wondered about a bike toppling off a lift.

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

I had a lift for years until I went onto a trike then it became no longer any use !
The front wheel clamp helps stability but a ratchet strap over the frame makes things more secure. There was a cheaper version which used your own trolley jack for lifting, don’t know if it still exists

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Before buying my full size m/c stand about 3 years ago (its not hydraulic by the way) I had to compare its cost with that of a funeral - Mine! ….. using such a stand I would always advise using straps to assist with steading the bike, then always be careful and think first where you are putting pressure and how much, with a bit of forethought such a stand is best placed in a position where a bike can be stood on it while not in use, - it can be done even in a single garage.
A stand can be very useful with many jobs - but it isn't suitable for everything, if a job looks too large don't be afraid to go to a m/c shop with it rather do yourself an injury.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70