X10 350 or Satelis 2 400 Opinions ?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Beetle
Current Ride: Vespa GTS300

X10 350 or Satelis 2 400 Opinions ?

Post by Beetle »

I'm looking at buying a used Maxi & comfort & ease of getting on & off( for Passenger) are really important(we're both old & moving to a scooter from a Motor Bike), so i've arrived at a short list with both of these at the top of it :shock: , any opinions on these bikes please ?.

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Re: X10 350 or Satelis 2 400 Opinions ?

Post by knight2 »

Having done the same thing for similar reasons, I bought a burgman650. But the first two I looked at were the X10 350 and the Satelis 400. I never got around to riding a Satelis as it seemed to get mixed reviews as to reliability. I did ride an X10 and was quite impressed with it. The engine was smooth and more powerful than I expected. I think the styling of the 350 and the 500 is brilliant. After riding an NT700 Deauville for 11 years I found it slightly cramped and I wanted something with a bit more presence so I looked at bigger scooters. Having said that if they had offered a better deal I may have bought it. Next I tried the Burgman 650 and a Maxsym 600, they were the same price but the Maxsym was four years newer and lower mileage. I bought the Burgman because, amongst other reasons, it felt right.
Have you considered a Burgman 400 they are similar to what you are looking at and have a brilliant reputation.
Hope this helps
By the way if you look at the review section of this site you will find a good
review of the X10 and a few of the Suzuki Burgman 400.

Beetle

Post by Beetle »

knight2 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:12 am Having done the same thing for similar reasons, I bought a burgman650. But the first two I looked at were the X10 350 and the Satelis 400. I never got around to riding a Satelis as it seemed to get mixed reviews as to reliability. I did ride an X10 and was quite impressed with it. The engine was smooth and more powerful than I expected. I think the styling of the 350 and the 500 is brilliant. After riding an NT700 Deauville for 11 years I found it slightly cramped and I wanted something with a bit more presence so I looked at bigger scooters. Having said that if they had offered a better deal I may have bought it. Next I tried the Burgman 650 and a Maxsym 600, they were the same price but the Maxsym was four years newer and lower mileage. I bought the Burgman because, amongst other reasons, it felt right.
Have you considered a Burgman 400 they are similar to what you are looking at and have a brilliant reputation.
Hope this helps
By the way if you look at the review section of this site you will find a good
review of the X10 and a few of the Suzuki Burgman 400.
Thanks, we have been to see a Burgman 650 & a Silverwing, i'd prefer something lighter than the 650 & the Silverwing felt great for me, but highlighted the problem(for my wife) with the footrests being "to high & to far forward", i'm 77 in a couple of months 7 SWMBO is older, so we're not as nimble as we used to be :) , i've looked at the modelling on Cycle Ergo & the footrest/seat position looks the best(for us) on the X10 with the Satelis nearly as good, the Burgman 400 doesn't look quite as good(on CE), but we'll check one out.
That's the next issue there is a Satelis for sale not far from me, but the nearest X10 as at least 150 miles away .
Of course i'd really like a Vepa GTS, but not 2 up :D
Cheers, Graham.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

The Satelis was essentially a Piaggio X8/9 underneath, at least until the 400 engine went in. This engine is also in the Metropolis, so I'd look at that for reports of running costs and reliability.

I had several Mk1 Satelis, all 250s and loved them. They were very thoughtfully designed.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

The Piaggio 350 engine is a great engine - seriously grunty. The X10 styling is a matter of opinion (which is code for saying personally I hate it!). Haven't tried either of the above, but I agree that you should add the Burger 400 to your list - there are various styles over the years but are quite comfy and low, and easier to handle than the heavyweight 650.

Beetle

Post by Beetle »

MrGrumpy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:24 am The Piaggio 350 engine is a great engine - seriously grunty. The X10 styling is a matter of opinion (which is code for saying personally I hate it!). Haven't tried either of the above, but I agree that you should add the Burger 400 to your list - there are various styles over the years but are quite comfy and low, and easier to handle than the heavyweight 650.

I agree about the Styling, it looks like a 50's spaceship, flash gordon ? :) , we will seek out a 400 to have a test sit.
StephenC wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:08 am The Satelis was essentially a Piaggio X8/9 underneath, at least until the 400 engine went in. This engine is also in the Metropolis, so I'd look at that for reports of running costs and reliability.
I had several Mk1 Satelis, all 250s and loved them. They were very thoughtfully designed.
Thanks, we'll go & test the one for sale fairly locally :) .

knight2

Post by knight2 »

So far I have no regrets about going from a bike to a scooter. Years ago we used to use the bike for everything, shopping, library, etc, as the bikes got bigger we stopped using them for stuff like that. Since I bought the Burgman we've started using it for stuff like that again and it's fun, I like buzzing around the city on the scooter. :)

knight2

Post by knight2 »

BTW one of the reasons I bought the burgman was the pillion footrest being boards instead of pegs which my wife and daughter prefer.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

The X10 350 was an excellent ride and technically about as good as the conventional twist and go scooter layout gets. Surprisingly fast and comfortable with plenty of storage space. The problem with Peugeots may be lack of support since the main agents Three Cross went under. The X10 had the usual issues with Italian electrical/electronic weakness but easily fixed in my case. The Burgman could be an alternative provided the physical size suits you but for me they were on the big side for pushing around.

If buying second hand it might pay to find actual examples and choose which you prefer on merit, condition and service record etc.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Beetle

Post by Beetle »

roadster wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:37 am The X10 350 was an excellent ride and technically about as good as the conventional twist and go scooter layout gets. Surprisingly fast and comfortable with plenty of storage space. The problem with Peugeots may be lack of support since the main agents Three Cross went under. The X10 had the usual issues with Italian electrical/electronic weakness but easily fixed in my case. The Burgman could be an alternative provided the physical size suits you but for me they were on the big side for pushing around.

If buying second hand it might pay to find actual examples and choose which you prefer on merit, condition and service record etc.
roadster wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:37 am The X10 350 was an excellent ride and technically about as good as the conventional twist and go scooter layout gets. Surprisingly fast and comfortable with plenty of storage space. The problem with Peugeots may be lack of support since the main agents Three Cross went under. The X10 had the usual issues with Italian electrical/electronic weakness but easily fixed in my case. The Burgman could be an alternative provided the physical size suits you but for me they were on the big side for pushing around.

Thank you again, i've decided against the Peugeot, no offence to any owners, but it seems like a bit of "mongrel" for want of a better word, the task now is to find an X10 within a reasonable traveling distance, there is one at a Dealer about 30 miles away but it's priced to high(IMHO) & in fair play i don't like viewing a bike i've no intention of buying, even at a dealer, just another old ageism :) .