SH300i - had to scratch the itch!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Flyingpanman
Current Ride: Honda SH350i

Re: SH300i - had to scratch the itch!

Post by Flyingpanman »

I had a red SH300i and found the original screen (it came with the bike) too high to look over... and I'm 185cm = 6' 3" tall...!

Anyway, I cut about 8cm. off the top and found it VERY noisy... I couldn't hear a thing in my bluetooth headset. I added a deflector that just clamps over the top of the screen (cheap on ebay with fixings either side and 37cm width) and that solved everything for me.

Recently changed the SH300 for a SH350 and fitted a new screen and knuckle guards. Again too high, but this time I only cut about 3cm. off and found it to be about right. The SH350 has a slightly redesigned screen that isn't quite as close to your nose. Here's the new to me (9mnth old) SH350...

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Flyingpanman, how does the SH350 compare to the SH300?

Argyll
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH300i

Post by Argyll »

Picked up a top box from Halfords yesterday - £14.99 including the base plate.

Fitting took about 20 mins and I'm happy with it for occasional use. It's sturdy enough but the latch is fairly basic and might fail over time if used a lot. Good value though.

Flyingpanman
Current Ride: Honda SH350i

Post by Flyingpanman »

smeghead wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:57 am Flyingpanman, how does the SH350 compare to the SH300?
It's all about the engine really. There's noticeably more punch off the line and quicker take-up on the cvt. My reaction was to laugh out loud when I first tried it! The idling smoothness is possibly a tad better and just as smooth as the 300 up through the revs. The engine feels better at motorway speeds as the revs are reduced.

The fuel consumption is not as good - mine shows around 86mpg on easy going trips carrying my 118Kg bulk - but if you like playing with the engine performance, tempting as it is, that just drinks more fuel. I prefer to have the extra torque available and I'm happy to use a little more fuel to get it.

I've seen complaints about the suspension, but I'm content with mine. When I purchased, it had 4k miles on it and maybe the shocks and forks had bedded in, or maybe it's more to do with my weight - I don't know, but I do know the rear shocks are the original equipment Showa units on my 2021 model.

I also use a cheap eBay "Airhawk" type of air cushion and have done over 200 miles in a day without undue comfort. I'm 6' 3" and long legged, but the room available is the same, or ever so slightly more than the 2016 SH300i? Anyway, I just stick my legs out now and again to relieve any cramped up feelings in my knees.

I fitted a Honda full screen and noticed it is around an inch further away from your face - less of a claustrophobic feel to it. I still had to cut it down by 3cm. to look over it.

Two things I don't like:- The headlight main beam is far too low. I found the adjuster, but it's impossible to get to without taking the front wheel and mudguard off. I've still to sort this out.

Secondly, the noise while riding. It sounds like a blowing exhaust manifold joint. I think it comes from the variator. I read somewhere that a dealer said it was normal and due to the cvt rollers Honda used :?: Maybe a case for Dr Pulley sliders?

Everything else I am fine with. I've done around 600 miles so far, collected one rear puncture on the OEM Metzelers (a brand I hate due to bad experience on my Silverwing). It has a matching Honda top box. I also fitted some grip puppies, a throttle lock so I can give hand signals with my right hand icon_no_no.gif and clamped a phone holder to one of the screen uprights.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Thanks for that Flying, I've always thought these scooters were fantastic. I remember years ago taking a bike I had in for service and there was a SH300 sat outside. The dealer heaped praise on it, saying how quick it was. He loved it and used it, sometimes two-up. I've considered one but I'm still happy with my Vespa GTS 300 HPE.

Argyll
Benefactor

Post by Argyll »

Choice of screen on the SH300 for the coming months was between the oem barn door or my Kappa short screen. I never felt right with either of them so invested £14 in a cheapo deflector from ebay for the Kappa. Fortunately, it turned out to be rather good and makes a big difference without being intrusive.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Please will you post a link to the one you've bought; there are so many to choose from and I like to get things which riders here have found satisfactory.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Argyll
Benefactor

Post by Argyll »

Here's a clear version from a different seller (mine seems to have disappeared). It's a bit cheaper at £12.49 but looks identical to mine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364371009211 ... R-LN2uzdYg

If you're planning to use it in the high setting I would say that the optics aren't as good as a standard screen. I look over the top of mine and keep it very close to the windscreen for best effect.