Jacking it.

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Jacking it.

Post by knight2 »

Before I went out for a ride today I checked the tyre pressures, amongst other things. Lifting the front end up with one hand so I can spin the wheel ( so the valve is accesible) is going to cause me an injury one day. Is there some where underneath I can safely put a trolley jack just to lift the front wheel up a little. I have noticed just in front of the sump drain bolt there is part of the casing that looks as though it should have a bolt in it so it looks sturdy enough but I don't want to cause any damage.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Re: Jacking it.

Post by Funkycowie »

With the Scooter on the main stand put something heavy on the rear seat to counter balance it or if you have a ground anchor tie the rear wheel down, that's what I did.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

2 off cuts of 4x2 sawn at an angle placed under the forks is what I did on my Pan-European, put the bike on the centre stand, forks on full lock, put the first length in place, then pull the wheel to the opposite lock and place the other length in place.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

I have a front stand which is surprisingly adaptable for wheel size and fits under the base of the forks. However there are times when the wheel itself has to be removed and if I am forced to jack up from underneath I use a thick layer of that semi-rigid foam that is used for packing electronic products. This is not the rubbery stuff and if used with wood underneath ( or a piece of scrap metal ) it has enough give to spread the load. I do this reluctantly but so far it has been OK. I have now also acquired a bike specific mechanical jack which can be used with its wide flat top surface and again the foam.

Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

Just had a look at one of "Le Dude" videos for removing the front wheel and he puts a block of wood under the sump and uses a scissor jack to lift front. So thats what I'll try next time but using the trolley jack.
Thaks for all the advice icon_thumbs_up.gif