Screen lip

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
dogwheel
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Re: Screen lip

Post by dogwheel »

On my 2005 Burgman K5, I use a Givi screen cut down by 6" (150mm) and a Puig deflector, for me this combination works really well, I can look over the top of both, which certainly matters at night in rain, and I get zero wind noise, buffetting or helmet wobble. I've just repeated the whole "exercise" as my old Givi screen was damaged when another bike fell on the scoot, and I had a spare waiting to be fitted.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

knight2 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:07 pm I have been wondering about one of these for my burgman. On motorways and d/c's there is a backdraft? that push's my head forward slightly which gives me neck ache and I was wondering if one of these would cure it. It's not a big problem, lower the screen a bit and it cures it, but then it's noisy.
I've known of Pyramid plastics for years but until I followed that link I didn't know where they were based. I've ridden past there loads of time, even delivered and collected there with a truck, never noticed it :oops: :roll:
I've noticed that on some machines but not to an uncomfortable degree. It might be influenced by any top box if you have one, and also by your helmet shape, some helmets have a lip on the back which is supposed to make a difference whether good or bad. Once airflow has broken away from the front of the bike it forms vortices behind the rider which can have some very unpredictable effects and even influence high speed handling.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

Many years ago I had a BMW bike with an Avon fairing as used by the plod. When moving at any speed the loose end of my jacket belt would stick out forwards showing that there was a huge vacuum behind the screen, it would seem that things haven’t change much since the seventies !

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I've never really too much of a problem with turbulence and the push in the back of tall screens....except for the standard screen on the mk3 Tmax which gave me severe head-shaking turbulence until I added deflectors of various sorts to cure it!

One issue that I can have with the mk6 Tmax screen + Puig deflector is that it can be almost too effective turbulence wise - it can create this puddle of still air in front of you, which is great except on hot days. I remember that one hot day I'd left my helmet in the top box rather than under the seat where it got quite hot, and so it was a bit unpleasant to ride, but I just couldn't get any sort breeze into the helmet to cool me down until I was going over 60, even with the visor fully open! As ever screens are a tricky subject and very subjective

alp231
Benefactor
Current Ride: X max 300

Post by alp231 »

Well I bought the puig deflector and it works well not perfect but takes out most of the loud buffeting did a long day out on the max yesterday and it worked well after a little adjustment