Sym Maxsym 400

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Boofbee
Current Ride: C90

Sym Maxsym 400

Post by Boofbee »

Seen a Maxsym 400 advertised locally. 9k miles, couple of owners. Current owner an elderly chap who said it’s a bit heavy for him. Any muppets out there who have had or know much about them. It’s a 2009 and he wants £1850. Is that a bit steep price wise?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Sym Maxsym 400

Post by MrGrumpy »

Price sounds OK to me. Only issue with Sym can be getting spares apart from buying direct from Taiwanese suppliers.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Where are you in the country? I know a few folks with these & they are a very good bike. Wondering if the one you have seen belongs to anyone I know. If so, may be able to tell you a bit more about it as I've serviced a couple of them.

The 400 is a very reliable bike & it's not unlike the Burgman 400. Can't think of any big issues to look out for. Like all the bigger 'dry clutch' autos you may encounter a little clutch shudder at take off when the clutch requires a quick clean & deglaze to pads & clutch drum. Easy to do but if you ride it right this is not something that needs to be done very often. Not sure what they are fetching on the secondhand market but the price is probably not too far off the mark if it's in great condition.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

https://www.gumtree.com/p/kymco-motorbi ... 1435408683
Might be out of your budget,belongs to a member on here,well looked after,i have seen it,unsure if its sold

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

great scoots, and low miles, remember its 13 years old, the only negative for me is non service parts maybe hard to source . Considering what else you can get for that sort of dosh these days I'd say its worth it.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Boofbee
Current Ride: C90

Post by Boofbee »

Data wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:54 am Where are you in the country? I know a few folks with these & they are a very good bike.

Thanks guys.

I’m in North Wales. I’ve had quite a few stepthroughs ( C90’s mainly) and many much bigger bikes. Just got rid of an Enfield 500 Classic.

So this may do the job.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Right, don't know anyone in North Wales with one. So unlikely to be a bike I know.

Regarding parts for the Sym. I've not had any issues getting parts in the past, which included a factory mirror & exhaust. But that was nearly 3yrs ago. Might pay to give the nice people at Sym a call to check current availability of cycle & body parts. All normal service bits will be available still & they used to be pretty cheap. Let us know how you get on!

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

There was a lad on here , Basil (from Wales), who had a spill on a 600, waited for body parts for over 4 months. MotoGB again. I remember hearing there is a dealer in Greece which is quite good to deal with. Im sure Ged (captain)will be along to comment who is quite clued up on these matters.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

That's exactly the info he needs Horobags. Moto GB have been somewhat lacking in the past on some spares for some bikes. I have dealt with them for parts for several bikes over the years, generally they were ok, but some things did take quite a while to get hold of. These were mostly the sort of things that dealers wouldn't keep on the shelf but as a main importer it's disappointing they don't hold at least some of the parts such as screens, front mudguards, a fuel tank & pump. Other importers mostly do. I can get just about anything for my Vespa next day. If they improved parts deliveries the brand would flourish much better.

Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Post by Drago »

As an SYM owner I can confirm moto GB are quite slow on getting parts. Even consumables they are struggling with now as well. I had to wait three months for a drive belt for My Mask 125, which is one of their top sellers.
Usually consumables were no issue belts, filters, pads etc. But if you need panels, injectors, any non-consumable really, you may in for a wait unless extremely lucky or looking elsewhere.
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-