Upgraded MP3s

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Upgraded MP3s

Post by MrGrumpy »

Piaggio have announced updated versions of the MP3.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... 0-530-2022

The new 530 version makes almost as much power as a Tmax - but costs as much! Ouch....

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Re: Upgraded MP3s

Post by roadster »

I used to love these but they have missed an opportunity to go to a hybrid power train that would have been truly innovative and possibly worth the £11000+. Going for more speed seems ill advised because the 400s that I had were not particularly good handlers at cornering speed over 70 mph and could be a bit scary with terminal understeer. Electric power trains seem like a very good alternative to the variator-belt-reduction box for scooters and could give blinding acceleration and better fuel consumption. Perhaps its a question of development costs rather than production. If only Toyota made a scooter!
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Hybrid power trains for bikes are still largely impractical. I was asked by the firm I used to work for to assist with preliminary design work for this very thing some 4 years ago. It's tremendously complex to do this on a bike due to the shortage of space for both motors & batteries. Nothing much has changed since then. I did an evaluation with them but decided to pull out as my retirement was more important to me.

Fully electric bikes are the answer. With batteries getting more powerful & smaller, electric motors more efficient, the future looks good. But it will still take time for bikes to have good range and that's why we are going to be able to buy ice engined bikes untill 2035. Government recognises the issues us two wheelers face.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

There were hybrid MP3 a few years back with a 125cc if I recollect correctly. Expensive and slow, I think, which killed them
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Yes Stephen, I saw those. Not very practical was my assessment and really not a good bike. Here's a link....https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-rev ... -125/2009/
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

I've got to ask, Data, ice engine bikes ? not heard that before please tell me more.

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

I know that one!

ICE = Internal Combustion Engine

:)

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Data wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:57 am Yes Stephen, I saw those. Not very practical was my assessment and really not a good bike. Here's a link....https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-rev ... -125/2009/
Yes, that's right. Slow heavy expensive.

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

StephenC wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:02 pm I know that one!

ICE = Internal Combustion Engine

:)
D'OH didn't think that one through did I :?: :lol:

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Regarding Data's comments there is definitely an issue of scaling down the mechanical requirements to the smaller size that a scooter requires and this does need investment in people and production facilities. But a hybrid only needs a small high voltage battery and it is now possible to fit an electric motor directly in the driven wheel. Unlike hybrid cars, which can provide simultaneous power both electrically and mechanically from the petrol engine, I think sufficient power could be produced entirely from the electric motor and the roll of the ICE would only be to generate the electricity when maximum output is needed. This means that no mechanical gearbox is required except for the reduction ratio built in to the motor, although a straightforward epicyclic cluster with electronic control might give more flexibility. The key to all hybrids is the intelligence built in to the control software which optimises fuel use and also controls energy recovery from brakes and on the overrun.

Whilst this is technically possible I would have to say that no two wheel manufacturer has anything like the expertise or capital to attempt it. After all the Toyota design has evolved over at least a decade before reaching the sophistication which it now has, and from what they are now saying I suspect that they are planning to move on to hydrogen and we will see hybrid designs maintained but not developed over the next five years.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...