Help! Mechanical Advice needed

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Re: Help! Mechanical Advice needed

Post by Funkycowie »

Data wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:03 am Wheel bearings don't just suddenly go out to lunch. You get lots & lots of warning that something is wrong. Wheel bearing failure also often affects brakes. Wheel bearing failure is usually indicated by a humming & or whining noise. If you don't do something about it the next step can be bearing failure but that is massively noticeable as the affected wheel will have play in it and lots of noise. I suspect from Grumpy's description that something internal with the tranny is the problem.

I wouldn't ride it Grumpy. Just in case the variator retainer is loose. You don't want that exploding. If the belt was only replaced 1000 miles ago that could be a clue! Was the variator torqued correctly? Was the retaining nut renewed? General rule is never use the same nut twice on any variator. That way you don't get trouble if it's torqued correctly.
Now that I know the belt is only 1000 miles old then I agree with Data, I wonder if they used OEM or some dodgy belt, I always used OEM as I have tried a supposedly pattern match before on my Gilera Nexus 500 and that flew apart (see below picture) when I was in the 4th lane over taking traffic on the M25. I aways used the same nut on the variator though, but made sure the torque setting was 100% correct.

ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

No, I bought the V-belt myself, which was an official Yamaha one (or so it claimed!). Well, it was bought from an official supplier of Yamaha parts in the Netherlands.

Funkycowie
Admin

Post by Funkycowie »

Then likely its the fitting of it by the mechanic...

I just had a thought... do you know how to access the spark plugs? Check to see if they are intact and a bit has not broken off, I had that happen to my old B125 and it cost me £550 quid to get the cylinder repaired.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Although noises seemed to come from the front is it possible that the final drive belt could have picked up a stone which is jammed somewhere? That might account for the roughness in motion and when wheeled around.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

The snag is that the funny squealing noises I heard happened only occasionally, only for the first few seconds of motion, then all went quiet and everything felt fine. Last week when I took the scoot in to have the brakes done, I first went to the town - no noises, then when I set off for the workshop I heard the noises, then not on the way back home. I used the scoot for several short journeys on Monday - absolutely no problem, then went out on Tuesday - no issues until I tried to return when everything went wrong. I possibly should have paid more attention, but if the noises are brief and only occur occasionally, with no other obvious problem, its hard to know what to do!
The brakes were serviced last Tuesday and seem fine.

Funkycowie
Admin

Post by Funkycowie »

roadster wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:16 am Although noises seemed to come from the front is it possible that the final drive belt could have picked up a stone which is jammed somewhere? That might account for the roughness in motion and when wheeled around.
Final drive on a MK3 is a chain fit for many 10's of thousands of miles as it sits in an oil bath.
ImageImageImageImage

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Funkycowie wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:00 pm
roadster wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:16 am Although noises seemed to come from the front is it possible that the final drive belt could have picked up a stone which is jammed somewhere? That might account for the roughness in motion and when wheeled around.
Final drive on a MK3 is a chain fit for many 10's of thousands of miles as it sits in an oil bath.
OK that sounds bomb proof then. Better than the belt on newer ones.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Funkycowie wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:00 pm
Oddly enough, now you mention it, the noise was slightly similar to the squealing final drive belt on my old mk4 Tmax! Utterly irrelevant as the issue is with a mk3 with the chain-in-oil-bath, though maybe the squeal was (V-) belt related. :?:

Funkycowie
Admin

Post by Funkycowie »

I am pretty certain, as you say its from the right side, that it is the vbelt or the mechanism for it.

I doubt it is the clutch which is on the left side and attached to the other end of the driving pulley shaft and was replaced about 1.5k miles before you bought it off me.

After the clutch is the driving then driven pulley on the right side.

Then its back to the left side for the driver for chain and the driven for the wheel. The oil in the oil bath was changed about 2k miles before you bought it off me. And I doubt its anything to do with anything from there.
ImageImageImageImage

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

So....workshop back in business today. They collected it at lunchtime, problem was a collapsed wheel bearing, and now all fixed! I was beginning to have nightmare visions of CVT failures and weeks of waiting for expensive parts, so I guess things could be far worse. Phew!