Damn & Blast!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Damn & Blast!

Post by Waldorf »

I'm not really sure where to post this as it wasn't a Rideout as such so I've chosen here. ;)

Last Saturday was my annual College reunion; it takes place in the old part of the now-no-longer-College of Education but is now an academy school.
The college/academy is close to a town in Oxfordshire called Abingdon, roughly 250 miles from where I now live.
My journey down followed a now familiar pattern to me, the first break being at Wetherby Services on the A1(M). (Travel most of the way on Day 1, do the last few miles to destination and back on Day 2, do the return journey on Day 3)
Traffic was queuing to get in. I rolled up the slip-road to the roundabout over the motorway, stopped to look right to make sure the road was clear and got hit by the car behind.
It's one of those places where one has to stop because the angle of the roads means one has to look over one's shoulder. I was doing so and so was the driver of the car in anticipation of moving ahead.
It wasn't a hard bash - I barely moved forwards - but damage was done.
Fortunately, the car's bumper hit the end of the heat shield on the exhaust, not the back of the bike..
It's become displaced and a couple of lugs have broken off but it seemed still firmly attached.
The driver of the car was very contrite and after I'd suggested he was a twit and should be more careful - he was of a certain age and probably was careful - I remounted, told him I couldn't be bothered and rode off into the services.
No doubt it'll cost me a bit to have it fixed but dealing with insurance companies is such a chore.
I had in mind, too, that many years ago I rear-ended a Ford Fiesta in almost identical circumstances and wrote it off.

The rest of the journey was uneventful. Traffic was very heavy and at a standstill in places. I calculated that I filtered for between10 and 15 miles in batches of a few miles, The folding wind-mirrors on the Forza make it quite slim and mean one is not worrying about hitting anything with them.

There was a fair amount of rain on the following two days but the roads were less busy.
It was good to see so many old contemporaries from my time in college from 1968 to 71 so it was worth going.
I rode a total of 559.6 miles and I haven't the faintest idea of fuel consumption.

[Posted on Silverwing600 and X9OC forums, too.]
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Waldorf
Benefactor

Re: Damn & BlasT!

Post by Waldorf »

Follow-up:

This morning (yesterday)I rode up to Newcastle Motorcycles from where I bought my Forza to see what was what with the heat-shield.
Paul my man, was outside, seeing off his latest sale - a Fireblade or some-such (very Red, White & Blue) - so I waited until he'd finished and walked over.
The upshot was that he relocated the dislocated shield with the necessary combination of skill and brute force.
I need to do a bit of work to get rid of the scuff marks but all is remarkably well.
I stayed chatting for half-an-hour or so so that was good, too.
I know dealerships tend to be expensive but I do feel looked-after.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Re: Damn & Blast!

Post by horobags »

glad it wasn't a serious bump Mike, and not much damage, a gentle polish should sort the scuffs.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

Thanks; Paul suggested I scrub the area first as the marks are somewhat ground in and then used boot polish!
I have Autoglim Bumper Black which I'll probably use.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Glad you're ok
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

My god! How do you remember people from 1970? :shock:
I wouldn’t recognise anyone from 30 years ago let alone 50+ :lol:

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

Thanks, Funkie.

I spent three years at college, two of them in residence and one in digs.
We studied, ate and spent leisure time together so got to know one-another very well.
Many of us have kept in touch and, with the advent of the world wide web, have expanded the circle.
Just in case, we wear name-labels at the reunions. ;)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Stibbs wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:52 pm My god! How do you remember people from 1970? :shock:
I wouldn’t recognise anyone from 30 years ago let alone 50+ :lol:
I have trouble remembering folks from just yesterday!! :lol:

Anyway...who are you?? :o
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Very glad you and the bike are fine Waldorf. It's good the reunion went ok!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

Thanks, Data. :)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
Capitano