TMax 530 DX drive train issues

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Filonian
Current Ride: Honda Integra 750

Re: TMax 530 DX drive train issues

Post by Filonian »

I had the same problem, being reluctant to buy a new Tmax replacement having read the problems owners were having with the newer models. The ones I've owned have always been fault free.
I test rode the Forza and was quite impressed and about to buy one when I spotted one of the last Integras with the travel pack (panniers and large topbox) advertised locally and less than 1k miles. With a saving of over £4k against the Forza, I took the plunge and bought it. That was three months ago.
I like the DCT, always preferred having stepped gears rather than variable. The Integra has a drive mode which is OK for dual carriageway and motorways. There are also 3 sport modes, I tend to ride in sport 1, as the gear changes are exactly at the same speeds I would normally change gear in my diesel car i.e. 1st up to 10 mph, 2nd to 20, 3rd to 30, 4th to 40, 5th to 50, 6th above 50. I always ride slow in fast out where bends are concerned so the bike has already dropped into the right gear for my style of riding. The gear buttons are handy for any real fast changes in speed. Having put an extra 1k on the clock, the more I ride it, the more I appreciate it and the fuel economy has always been above 80 mpg no matter how I ride it.
So, as you can guess I'm pleased with the bike, OK so it may not be as fun as a Tmax but I've got to the age where comfort and ease of riding are my priorities but if I want to be a hooligan it can cope.
I always take any magazine testers comments with a pinch of salt when it comes to putting their own money down ...........

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Filonian wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:41 am
I always take any magazine testers comments with a pinch of salt when it comes to putting their own money down ...........
Well, yes, I tend not to put too much trust in magazine journalists who describe 100bhp bikes as 'underpowered'! But some of the independent testers who put videos on Youtube are more believeable, as what they find is inline with what I feel. There are also a load of idiots on there, so its a matter of finding someone you think is talking sense. I find that Mark Pulling's videos on Youtube are very informative.

Filonian
Current Ride: Honda Integra 750

Post by Filonian »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:43 am I find that Mark Pulling's videos on Youtube are very informative.
Agreed. I checked out his review of the Forza and the Tmax when I was considering the Forza. He always does provide "sensible" reviews doesn't seem to favour one particular manufacturer and covers everything, ergonomics, seat height etc. He focuses on the bike, not how good a rider he is, how fast he can go nipping in and out of traffic like some other Youtube idiots.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

I haven't had much to do with the Tmax over the years. I can remember doing an oil change on one for somebody years ago but that's about it. I rode it back to his home for him and I have to say it was a nice ride.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Capelli32
Current Ride: Honda X-Adv 750

Post by Capelli32 »

Data wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:21 am I can remember doing an oil change
So can I - multiple lol!! :roll:

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

A bit of a thread resurrection but I am doing the clutch soon on my Mk3 Tmax (a Malossi kit as I don't want to sell a kidney for genuine Yamaha parts) and I will probably do the drive belt whilst its off the road and check/clean the variator.
Last time I did the belt I used a Dayco item which has served me well but oddly it had less width when new than my worn OE Yamaha belt? I was considering another aftermarket primary belt as Fowlers of Bristol want £155.70 plus postage for a genuine Yamaha belt. I had seen the KVR brand ones as shown above, thanks for the photo I definitely won't be fitting one of those now I've seen it. A Dayco belt can be had for around £50 or so, has anybody got any other reasonably priced brands of decent quality they can recommend ??

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I got my last mk3 belt from easyparts.nl (official Yamaha part). It was strangely cheap - about £100 I think. Being less than £135 it seems to avoid the morass of VAT / duties / handling fees that afflict most things coming from Europe these days.

Another possibility is to look for a Mitsuboshi belt on ebay - its generally believed that Mitsuboshi make the original belt for Yamaha, and some Italian sellers retail them - bit of a search though!

At the end of the day, the savings over a genuine belt are pretty small when you consider that the belt lasts 12k miles (you can probably push it for longer - they always look pristine after 12k miles!). Obviously depends on how many miles you do, but it takes me the best part of 3 years to do 12k miles (I don't commute anymore), so £155 for 3 years isn't really that onerous! I'd propbably get through 2.5 sets of tyres in that time which cost far more!

Pukmeister
Benefactor

Post by Pukmeister »

Thanks for that link to the Dutch site, the OE Yamaha belt comes in at £122 but that may also attract customs and handling charges. These things soon add up I've been burnt recently buying my MW textile clothing from Germany with added charges.

I've seen the Mitsuboshi belts online but they are no cheaper than genuine Yamaha parts when you add the postal charges from the sellers in Italy.

I have just checked the UK scooter parts agents "VE UK" online where I got my Malossi clutch pack kit from (they are the official UK Malossi agents/importers according to Malossi SpA in Italy) and they sell a Malossi Kevlar transmission drive belt for £112, so that is looking favourite so far.

Pukmeister
Benefactor

Post by Pukmeister »

Just as a follow-up to help anybody out later, the best deal I found within the UK was for another Dayco 8191K drive belt (part of Pirelli group) via an Amazon reseller of all places, coming in at £58.65 delivered which sounds ideal, my current Dayco belt has been fine over the past 8000-odd miles:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Pukmeister wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:34 am Thanks for that link to the Dutch site, the OE Yamaha belt comes in at £122 but that may also attract customs and handling charges. These things soon add up I've been burnt recently buying my MW textile clothing from Germany with added charges.

I've seen the Mitsuboshi belts online but they are no cheaper than genuine Yamaha parts when you add the postal charges from the sellers in Italy.

I have just checked the UK scooter parts agents "VE UK" online where I got my Malossi clutch pack kit from (they are the official UK Malossi agents/importers according to Malossi SpA in Italy) and they sell a Malossi Kevlar transmission drive belt for £112, so that is looking favourite so far.
Not a fan of Malossi belts - I've heard of some issues with them (short life), though to be fair, not recently.
When I bought my belt from Easyparts, I managed to escape alll the VAT charges etc. I think the threshold is £135, but I'm totally confused about current arrangements. If you get clobbered, its not just VAT, but FedEx charge you a hefty fee for the priviledge of sending you a couple of automated e-mails, demanding payment of VAT.
I'm looking for brake disks for my mk3 - Yamaha ones are insanely expensive, EBC sell some for around £125 (each - who the hell needs a single brake disk?) via VE-UK. I've seen some NG ones on easyparts, but they are €100, but add VAT etc and it comes out same as EBC!