TMax 530 DX drive train issues

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Capelli32
Current Ride: Honda X-Adv 750

TMax 530 DX drive train issues

Post by Capelli32 »

I'd be interested to know if there are any other Tmax owners who pile a lot of miles on to their scoot and if you have had many drivetrain related issues - thinking of clutch and belt/variator wear. I've had my fair share of niggling problems which I wasn't expecting given its done 20k miles:
Clutch replaced @ 11k
Belt @ 12.5k
Front pullies and another belt @16k
Other problems included a failed O2 sensor at 8.5k
Its had the usual 12k service items which is fine and an endless number of oil changes - I'm just about to fit its 3rd set of tyres but that's par for the course!

I don't really know how long belts and pullies should last so some guidance/education would be gratefully appreciated. If the they are meant to be replaced every 15k miles lets say, I might need to make a change of bike given milage I'm nowg commuting in to London from East Sussex following a recent house move.

Thanks all, Richard

edit: also new rear wheel bearing @12k ish - corroded cage

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: TMax 530 DX drive train issues

Post by MrGrumpy »

When you say 'Belt', do you mean the V-belt in the CVT, or the final drive belt? The V-belt is supposed to be changed at 12k miles, though they almost certainly last longer. Normally.... There is no specific life for the final drive belt.
What year is yours?
Some early mk6s (2017) had some sort of CVT issue. Mine did funny things - not changing down when accelerating, wouldn't go past 6k revs. Yamaha eventually changed my entire CVT after a bit of hassle - others were replaced as a service recall. Pulleys should not wear out for yonks.....though you are supposed to change the rollers within the CVT periodically.

O2 sensor - mine failed as well! Obviously a weak point. I've also one or both ABS sensors fail AND the rear shock absorber fail, losing all its fluid.

Yamaha quality control is NOT what it used to be.

Capelli32

Post by Capelli32 »

Hi there, its a 2020 bought new but after the 560 was released - new old stock! yep its the v-belt - so 12k is about right and I guess with the pulleys its just a question of looking for irregular wear or them giving high rpm even after fitting a new belt. Rollers were done at 12k with the belt.

rear shock must have been a brown trouser moment

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Capelli32 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:31 am

rear shock must have been a brown trouser moment
Not really - I went to get the scoot out of the garage and there was a pool of liquid under it - even with my ignorance I thought that this can't be good. I didn't know where it come from until I rode it to the workshop...which was 'interesting' as it was somewhat bouncy.....

Capelli32

Post by Capelli32 »

This was after 3.5k miles - do you know what causes this:

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Belts break like that if the variator or other pulleys are worn with grooves or other irregularities. Of course, a belt can also be faulty and fail early as is maybe the case here.

I have to say that wonderful though the tmax's are, their reliability doesn't inspire confidence. I've spoken to many a Tmax owner with these sort of gripes.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Capelli32 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:57 am This was after 3.5k miles - do you know what causes this:
OMG! But that's not the OE belt is it? (Unless you are trying to confuse me by putting the OE belt in a different bag!). I never trust aftermarket belts - there always seem to be snags and premature failures. I take the hit on Yamaha spares prices - its safer!

Capelli32

Post by Capelli32 »

Its a non-OE belt - yep buy cheap buy twice. Front pulley/variator has been replaced and switched back to OE belt so all good now - I'm not sure how long the rear pulley lasts though (sorry for poor terminology!). Having said that the width on the destroyed belt when new was not the same as a new OE yamaha belt - it was around 1/2 mm narrower when I measured them back to back with a vernier caliper.

Capelli32

Post by Capelli32 »

Data wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:12 am
I have to say that wonderful though the tmax's are, their reliability doesn't inspire confidence. I've spoken to many a Tmax owner with these sort of gripes.
Absolutely - confidence shot to blazes tbh - looking forward to changing it but what to buy?? If the Forza 750 had electric screen, heated grips cruise etc - and even if it was £2k more to cover the extras, - I think I'd buy one

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Capelli32 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:02 pm
Data wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:12 am
Absolutely - confidence shot to blazes tbh - looking forward to changing it but what to buy?? If the Forza 750 had electric screen, heated grips cruise etc - and even if it was £2k more to cover the extras, - I think I'd buy one
Don't start...I've been round this loop many times already! After my rear shock failed, I decided that I'd buy a Forza 750 before long. But......whilst I haven't test ridden one, I did test ride the original X-ADV and I'm really not sure if that plodding NC engine and the DCT that you are always trying to out-think is for me. Thing is the TMax is just so much fun to ride!!! If you look at the video reviews on Youtube of the Tmax and Forza, no-one ever says the Forza is fun - whilst the same testers can't stopping grinning riding the Tmax! Buying a new Tmax is no longer an option as there are NO Yamaha dealers within reach whilst there is a Honda dealer 3 miles away....but I can't convince myself.........