Potential Scooter convert

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Onslowe
Current Ride: Vespa GTS pending

Potential Scooter convert

Post by Onslowe »

Hi, I have just sold my Yamaha XSR700 and am currently looking at moving across to a Vespa GTS300. There are a number of reasons with comfort and practicality being the main issues. I have a bad back and some arthritis which have been causing issues after just 45 minutes when on my XSR700 and I have had similar issues on other motorcycles so I think I need a complete change of direction. I don't need the speed of a motorcycle or the associated weight and I mainly go on country roads for my rides which are for pleasure rather than a commute, but occasional weekends away are also in the mix. I think the true Maxi scooters are too large for my needs and I have limited access on my route to my garage so a Forza or Xmax might be too wide for my access corridor, hence the Vespa idea. I like the style of the Vespa and most reviews are positive, after some adjustment I think the performance will be more than adequate and also I think most mechanical tasks on Vespa's are within my capability. Current thinking is maybe wait until the New Year and get a 23 plate but some advice as to when best to buy a new scooter would be helpful as I have never been in a position to purchase new before. Will prices come down ? Will there be availability in these uncertain times ? Which version is best ? Thanks for granting access to the forum and thanks in advance for any advice. I am based in Middlesbrough, North East England. Regards, Onslowe

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: Potential Scooter convert

Post by capitano »

Welcome to Maxi Muppets.

My views may differ to others but I'd busy myself establishing who the best dealer is in your area and get on their mailing list.

If there are any offers on new scooters they'll be sure to tell you, if they think you're a serious buyer.

Seasonality comes to play more in used bike sales. It might, therefore, play more of a role if you're trying to sell your Yamaha.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Welcome. whatever you're thinking of buying new, order early. I've been waiting since April for a Honda ADV350. Vespa supply may be better but the importer will likely want to concentrate on 125 rather than the bigger capacity machines.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

As one who no longer gets my hands dirty I agree with Capitano that looking for the best dealer in the area is a plan.
Whatever you choose: good luck with it. :)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

You mention comfort, practicality, and occasional touring trips so you should keep in mind that the Piaggio Beverly is very similar under the skin so do look at both, at least in the showroom, and try them for size. Its very hard to predict the market at this stage as during the worst of the pandemic people were looking for alternatives to public transport and this demand may have cooled down. If you wait until the end of the summer there may be some bargains left in stock but there could equally be nothing much left. The advice given above about getting to know dealers in your area will also help you to see whether anything is hanging around in their showrooms.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Onslowe - if you are prepared to travel or indeed use a courier then there are some fantastic used Vespas on Biketrader at the moment

Onslowe
Current Ride: Vespa GTS pending

Post by Onslowe »

Thanks for the replies so far. My "local" dealer is 40 miles away and not sure of their reputation as I have never used a dealer for servicing or repairs, I have always serviced and repaired vehicles myself so would only use them for the reqd warranty services. I do know they only have 2 new Vespas and 1 slightly second hand (not cheap enough compared to new) and they have sold their demo. Also they are not ideally located for a 1st CVT ride as they are in busy Newcastle where I don't know my way around and my comfort issues on a motorcycle take about 45 minutes to appear so that's quite a while to be riding around Newcastle traffic. The local dealers are Honda, no scooter stock, and Kawasaki / Royal Enfield so just no scooters and I don't fancy taking out a 2nd hand scooter at a non main dealer whilst pretending to be interested as that seems like the ultimate waste of their time and slightly unfair. My current health issues are not too bad but just trying to get the right balance so that I can enjoy 2 wheels rather than endure 2 wheels, the Vespa may be quiet heavy but the weight is low down and that helps a lot when moving them around to park up etc. Thanks again, Onslowe

capitano
Admin

Post by capitano »

Onslowe wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:34 am Thanks for the replies so far. My "local" dealer is 40 miles away and not sure of their reputation as I have never used a dealer for servicing or repairs, I have always serviced and repaired vehicles myself so would only use them for the reqd warranty services.
My advice was more regarding the warranty. I'd consider myself as a satisfied new Piaggio product buyer, and have no personal complaints about the products or the dealership I used.

That satisfaction includes the way that 5 warranty issues were resolved. Others have been very dissatisfied, particularly using disinterested or downright unscrupulous dealers.

The advice I gave applies whether you are doing your own servicing and maintenance beyond warranty or not.

capitano
Admin

Post by capitano »

I'd also advise searching Maxi Muppets for information regarding the GTS300. Several contributors here are present and previous owners.

Also, register and search on a forum called, "Modern Vespa." However, bear in mind that MV is largely USA based, so some of the opinions and indeed facts may not apply to the UK.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

It is unfortunate that due to relatively low sales volume in the UK there are very fewer if any dealers specializing in scooter sales and acting as main dealers. In your situation/location there is a choice between buying on-line and going for the most reliable brand at the cheapest price, or finding smaller non-franchised dealers in your area who may only offer second-hand or less mainstream brands. I'm guessing that you are an experienced rider and you may be able to trust your own judgement and buy privately if you spot a Vespa/Piaggio that you like in your area. My final thought is that a manufacturers warranty isn't worth the paper its written on if you can't find good service in your area to pursue claims, in which case buying new is a less attractive option.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...