Ouch. That hurt,

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Ouch. That hurt,

Post by Stibbs »

Got an MOT failure on my burger yesterday. Steering and brakes knackered. Anyway, shit happens. icon_shit.gif got the bill today, £150 parts, £400 Labour +vat. :o Still it’s back on the road and fixed. In seven years that’s the most spent so can’t really argue :roll:

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: Ouch. That hurt,

Post by capitano »

Stibbs wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:00 am Got an MOT failure on my burger yesterday. Steering and brakes knackered. Anyway, shit happens. icon_shit.gif got the bill today, £150 parts, £400 Labour +vat. :o Still it’s back on the road and fixed. In seven years that’s the most spent so can’t really argue :roll:
How many miles on it, Stibbs?

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

I thought you had an off! 😳
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Sorry to hear about that Steve. Guessing it's the head bearings & brake pads with maybe a disc or two. Never mind, she's good to go now! As you say, in 7 years that's pretty good. ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Stibbs
Benefactor

Post by Stibbs »

capitano wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:16 pm
Stibbs wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:00 am Got an MOT failure on my burger yesterday. Steering and brakes knackered. Anyway, shit happens. icon_shit.gif got the bill today, £150 parts, £400 Labour +vat. :o Still it’s back on the road and fixed. In seven years that’s the most spent so can’t really argue :roll:
25k now. So in all honesty not too bad considering I use it all year round.

Stibbs
Benefactor

Post by Stibbs »

Data wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:02 pm Sorry to hear about that Steve. Guessing it's the head bearings & brake pads with maybe a disc or two. Never mind, she's good to go now! As you say, in 7 years that's pretty good. ;)
As you say Ian, for 7 years and 25k I can’t moan too much.

Stibbs
Benefactor

Post by Stibbs »

mottza wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:38 pm I thought you had an off! 😳
Yes Chris I could have worded that a bit better I suppose, lol

capitano
Admin

Post by capitano »

Stibbs wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:49 am
capitano wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:16 pm
25k now. So in all honesty not too bad considering I use it all year round.
You're absolutely correct. Still not nice getting a big bill, though. I empathise completely.

It's surely not the first one, though. Isn't there a BIG service on the 400 at 16k that's around a grand?

Or have I got my wires crossed somewhere? I've been close to pulling the trigger on a 400 myself a few times but they were always just below the big service mileage.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Stibbs will confirm, but I think the service intervals are identical to the earlier B400's that I had. So at 15k miles it's belt & rollers plus new ramp plate guides. All cheap enough when I used to do them. But if the variator or clutch pulley shieves are worn they need renewing which can bump up the price a fair bit. However, you rarely need to renew until big miles unless you ride like a maniac. Variators last for ages. But the 15k service is a big service. I wouldn't think it's a grand though. But then, it's been a while since I was mainstream spannering.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

capitano
Admin

Post by capitano »

Data wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:32 am I wouldn't think it's a grand though. But then, it's been a while since I was mainstream spannering.
I was basing it on ex MM contributor Ethel Biscuit's experience in around 2010 when his 15k ( not 16k, that was my mistake) service was over £1000 even then.

As I recall, his required valve clearance adjustment needing the cam(s) to be removed to fit new shims, plus the belt, rollers etc.

In the great scheme of things, if you buy a new one, a grand at 15k miles isn't such a big deal.

Buying one with 13-14 k on the clock knowing there's a £1000+ bill to come in a very short time is a bigger deal.

I'm guessing that not every Burgman 400 will require valve adjustment at 15k, but it's a bit of a gamble when buying a used one.

It also explains why, when looking to buy a used 400, the majority have between 12k and 14.5k miles on them.

PS: A bit of perspective to maybe make you feel better. I have mates with Ducati Diavels that need £2k in annual servicing, even if they do a few hundred miles between annual MOTs. :shock: