Motorcycle ban

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Re: Motorcycle ban

Post by Data »

Yeah, it's really good news but there are other equally good batteries coming. I think Sodium will probably win though as sea water is abundant as are the other materials they use. There are lots of other articles about it and also some variations on the Sodium battery theme. Some of these batteries have a lifespan that is huge, much longer than Li-ion. It's all good! ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

As I came down with flu yesterday I have spent the morning reading about sodium-ion batteries (instead of what I was meant to be doing) and although I can't quite match your enthusiam it is quite promising, probably because I am becoming very sceptical as I get older.
Going back to Stuart's video although technically inacurrate there was more than a grain of truth in what he said.
DATA wrote
The point you make about Cobalt is an interesting one. And it's much the same as the story found for oil extraction in some countries. Whole villages and towns polluted with seas of oil poisoning people and nature. Yet we don't ever mention that either when we talk about how lovely ICE engine cars are! Oil is poisoning thousands and thousands of people in many parts of the world and it's killing the planet. As are ICE engined cars.
Agreed, it just annoys me that a quarter of the way into the twenty first century we are still doing it, progress eh.

Now I have to hang my head in shame, techically anyway. Because one of the places in the UK that is leading SIB tech is about three miles from my house, I had heard of them just ignorant to what they did. The company being Faradion who are working with Sheffield university, now I new sheffield uni's were doing work with EV's but I thought it was with motors not batteries.
I watched a video interview with the CEO of Faradion which turned out to be a promo and not entirely accurate he said a company had invested a £ 100 million in the copamy after raving about how good this was going to be for sheffield, but a bit more looking around the web and it appears he has sold out to an Indian company. How accurate that is I'm not sure, but going back to Stuarts video and it shows it aways worth getting your info from more than one scource.
By the way nice conversing wth you, if that's what this is. icon_thumbs_up.gif

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

knight2 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:58 am As I came down with flu yesterday I have spent the morning reading about sodium-ion batteries (instead of what I was meant to be doing) and although I can't quite match your enthusiam it is quite promising, probably because I am becoming very sceptical as I get older.
Going back to Stuart's video although technically inacurrate there was more than a grain of truth in what he said.
DATA wrote
The point you make about Cobalt is an interesting one. And it's much the same as the story found for oil extraction in some countries. Whole villages and towns polluted with seas of oil poisoning people and nature. Yet we don't ever mention that either when we talk about how lovely ICE engine cars are! Oil is poisoning thousands and thousands of people in many parts of the world and it's killing the planet. As are ICE engined cars.
Agreed, it just annoys me that a quarter of the way into the twenty first century we are still doing it, progress eh.

Now I have to hang my head in shame, techically anyway. Because one of the places in the UK that is leading SIB tech is about three miles from my house, I had heard of them just ignorant to what they did. The company being Faradion who are working with Sheffield university, now I new sheffield uni's were doing work with EV's but I thought it was with motors not batteries.
I watched a video interview with the CEO of Faradion which turned out to be a promo and not entirely accurate he said a company had invested a £ 100 million in the copamy after raving about how good this was going to be for sheffield, but a bit more looking around the web and it appears he has sold out to an Indian company. How accurate that is I'm not sure, but going back to Stuarts video and it shows it aways worth getting your info from more than one scource.
By the way nice conversing wth you, if that's what this is. icon_thumbs_up.gif
Sorry to hear you have the flu knight. Hoping you get over that quickly as it can be very nasty. Funnily enough I have my COVID booster & flu jab next week.

Anyhoo...couldn't agree more about getting info from plenty of sources. Unfortunately some media isn't that great at presenting facts, with some sources positively distorting it out of all recognition. Unfortunately the uninitiated can't tell the difference between good proper full facts & speculation, part truth and complete boll*cks. This means by the time folks have placed their own interpretation on it the end result is often the complete opposite of reality. Most of my info comes from my own experience of driving EV's, various other sources, & ex-engineering colleagues with whom I once worked and who keep me updated. These are the guys who actually do the designing, building & testing. Sometimes they cannot tell me all the detail due to the usual secrecy around such projects but it's still of great interest as they can say what the objectives are & how far away or close they are to achieving them.

Yes, very good to converse with you knight.

PS. I may make an EV video in the not too distant future showing off the Kia E-Niro & it's range & how easy it is to cover very big journeys in it. Also may make a series of bike service videos for the GTS, the Burgmans & yes the T-max. All will include valve adjustments, the thing that seems to scare most folks! But need to recover from heart attack first! :lol:
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...