Motorcycle ban

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Motorcycle ban

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well, to a large extent, decent electric equivalents of 50-125cc bikes are already available, with sufficient performance and range to make them useful for local trips and moderate commutes. The motor & battery tech already seems good enough to make them a practical proposition, even if some of the cycle parts are lagging behind, and, of course, prices are still very high. One imagines that in the next 8 years, things will improve significantly.
However, regarding bigger bikes & scoots (and cars), so far range isn't good enough to make them truly useful. Things are progressing, so I guess cars will have much improved range in 8 years time (but at what price?), but there must be a question about whether tech for bikes will progress so that an electric touring bike/scoot is practical - and at a competiive price.
And anyway, from what I read, even EV enthusiasts say that the public charging network is hopeless - getting this sorted is probably harder than getting advanced battery tech developed!

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

My biggest issue with EV's is charge time vs Fuel Up time, I live in a flat, I rent a garage to store my bike but there is no power. I don't want to sit at a charge point for 3 hours to fill up, especially if there is no cover and its raining.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Post by Drago »

I'm all for electric, less parts to service, no exhaust pipe especially to rust/get in the way of the rear wheel/brake, cheaper to run. But I do have a few issues with getting one right now. I'd say 50ccs are now obsolete, electric bikes cover this size well. My brother has a Piaggio L1 active - 38mph, around 25-30miles range at that speed, £2500, removable battery, charge up at work so free 'fuel' perfect for short trips that 50cc's do. But the 125cc+ equivalent and plus are just to expensive and don't have sufficient range or charge times. I like the look of the silence s01 for example, but for that price, 5-6.75k for those specs? No chance. Hopefully by 2030-5 the tech and price would of improved to make electric far more viable. Another issue that will occur those is the noise, well lack there of. My brother in just a weeks has had a few pedestrians walk out on him as his bike is so quiet. Ultimately the pedestrians fault for not looking, but the danger will be there. Out on my walks down narrow country lanes I've been caught out by electric/hybrid cars. You can't hear them until they are almost right next to you.
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Rgearding the lack of noise from Electric cars.

It nearly caught me out recently.

A lot of road safety is sound based.

I see Hankook advertise thier tyres for electric cars as even quieter.

I would of thought they need to make Tyres for them louder and quite audible.

RE electric Vehicles, I still think we are going to have to concrete so much of the country and all of the electricicity wires etc etc.

Plus battery issues when used, yes I know probably buried in another 3rd world country so no worries along with the pld solar panels and wind turbine blades etc.

China is planning over 300+ new Coal power stations, well they were before oil prices went up, likely a lot more now.

We in the UK are literally piddling in the wind to no avail at all. And just skinting ourselves.

Re Greening does far more good than all the usual mining intensive so called green tech etc.

Put the cash in to Greening, cheaper, Quick and more effective in the UK and abroad, really helps poorer countries too.

The UK Gov had a great idea to do it here, help put Wetlands back, Bogs, ponds, hedges, trees etc etc, and it was going to help replace the income the UK Framers lost from the EU.

£800M a year, maybe not much between all of the farms in the UK but really a great idea and a start.

So the UK Gov have changed the amount of money from 2.4 £Billion over 3 years.

Obviously the more the better as Re-greening really works well and quickly.

To wait for it !!!!! £50 million over 3 years. 1/48th of the original amount.

But 11 £billion for barely any use at all made in China Heat pumps and you still need a good few thousand yourself to fit them.

So there you have it

The whole green thing is a con.

Most of it is manipulated by oil monied Rich People.

BP invented the term Carbon Foot Print and now we are made to feel we are all to blame, each and every one of us.

The whole green issue has been a Gigantic world wide tax funds raid by the wealthy so far and Carbon is just going up and up.

Also it is worth saying the world was in danger of full extinction many times from too low Carbon when it was all sat in oil and coal etc in the ground.

We are at far more, and far worse, risk from the Button being pressed ( about a billion times worse than climate change ) literally the Balloon could go up any time these days.

Or even a Super Volcano or two would be even worse. or a lot of Solar Flares etc.

Don`t be fooled Carbon is not the issue, big business and power ARE.

The UK is going to have to buy in Electricity for winter 2022 ( from the EU ironically, but they are short too ) as we don`t have enough electric as it is.

There may well need to be some daily rationing possibly over winter.

If we fit more electric needing not much use heat pumps and up electric vehicles etc we will be Right Up The Creek well and truly electric wise.

It will be back to trying for expensive, water buggering, and earth quake ridden, Fracking next !!!

Gor blimey I need a cup of tea.

Lets not price the less well off out of travel or a qaulity of life.

The transfer of wealth from us all , to The Rich, in the last 2 or 3 years is staggering.

End of Rant.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Well said XP500, I'm on your side of this debate.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Lack of noise from electric road vehicles is certainly a matter which needs to be addressed.
As many here will know, I have an electric scooter. It is, to all intents and purposes, silent.
This is a problem in that so many pedestrians rely solely on their hearing to govern whether or not it is safe to cross the road; it seems so often that actually looking has passed out of fashion or habit.
The indicators, though, do have a very loud beeper which attracts attention when I'm riding round corners.
When I were a lad we had visits at school from the police who gave us Road Safety lessons. One thing I remember to this day is:
'Stop, look and listen before you cross the road.'
The 'look' element seems to have been lost in the mists of time ... as has any Road Safety training in school.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Waldorf wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:24 am Lack of noise from electric road vehicles is certainly a matter which needs to be addressed.
As many here will know, I have an electric scooter. It is, to all intents and purposes, silent.
This is a problem in that so many pedestrians rely solely on their hearing to govern whether or not it is safe to cross the road; it seems so often that actually looking has passed out of fashion or habit.
The indicators, though, do have a very loud beeper which attracts attention when I'm riding round corners.
When I were a lad we had visits at school from the police who gave us Road Safety lessons. One thing I remember to this day is:
'Stop, look and listen before you cross the road.'
The 'look' element seems to have been lost in the mists of time ... as has any Road Safety training in school.
The morons that live around me barely look when crossing the road, let alone cock an ear. They're too busy listening to crap on headphones or drinking coffee to bother with such trivia.

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

Waldorf says
"Lack of noise from electric road vehicles is certainly a matter which needs to be addressed."

NO IT DOESN'T, The biggest saving grace for us is it's going to be quieter. At the end of our garden ia a dual carriageway which is the main link between the city of Sheffield and the MI motorway. The noise is constant 24 hours a day 365 days a year, screaming engines, loud exhausts, loud music, siren after siren after siren and that's above the normal engine and tyre noise. All we need is for some idiot in Westminster deciding to make noise pollution. :twisted: :twisted:

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

smeghead wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:21 am MAG believes the ban will be brought forward tp 2030 or sooner: https://www.mag-uk.org/mag-fires-first- ... sultation/
Thanks smeg. Hadn't seen that article.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

knight2 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:05 pm Waldorf says
"Lack of noise from electric road vehicles is certainly a matter which needs to be addressed."

NO IT DOESN'T,
YES, IT DOES!
Perhaps I should have said 'sound' not 'noise'.
A world without sound is a dangerous place.
We rely on our sense of hearing possibly more than our sense of sight.
You have assumed I suggest that electric vehicles should be made noisy.
That is not the case: 'Addressing the problem' is most importantly educating road-users called pedestrians to use their eyes properly and efficiently.
I am right.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch